X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grumpy RPG Reviews
    started a topic Wraith 5?

Wraith 5?

What would you want out of a hypothetical Wraith 5th Edition, circa 2024?

• Trippy
    replied
    Firstly, I like Wraith 20. It's probably the best of all of them, and has enough material that you'd be hard pressed to ever run out of scenario ideas.

But I don't think Wraith 5 is coming any time soon.V5 had a troubled launch last year, so while it may yet build momentum, there is no guarantee of any follow on games getting the 5th edition treatment just yet. Even then, Wraith is a way down the line and may just be too minor a commercial title to be a priority anyway. Moreover, the main emphasis of V5 was really highlighted in the Hunger Dice. While you can see a ready translation of this in Werewolf (Rage Dice) and even Mage (Paradox Dice), Wraith already has it's own way of handling inner strife and torment with it's Shadow rules. I'm not sure how it would translate, currently.

In all, any new edition of Wraith has to be years away - and may not ever happen.

Leave a comment:

• Ravnos
    replied
    My two cents.
    I think the main problem is that Wraith wasn't a very succesful game. We could debate about the reasons, but that fact still stands.
    So a Wraith 5 (it's 4th) should be different and put major changes into it. Some fixes and changes here and there on the current material wouldn't do. In the grand scheme they would feel like minor things I think. If I would be a publisher I'd say the premise is interesting but the execution didn't work well the first time around.
    Ultimately for Wraith 4 to be succesful it should become a different game from the one you love, otherwise it will stay in the afterlife (pun intended)

But maybe I'm biased for the bad. I have both the 1st and 2nd edition corebooks in my bookshelf but never thought my groups could sink their teeth into them.

Leave a comment:

• Onkwe
    replied
    Originally posted by Trategos_Sol View Post

Interesting. What in particular was useful from Wraith TGW for post- 6th great maelstrom setting?
    Like what Damien andadambeyoncelowe said, we used the maelstrom rules and other setting ideas introduced in Great War, just in a more contemporary way.

Leave a comment:

• Lord Vil
    replied
    Personally, I'm going to stick with 20th Anniversary Edition lines. If new editions after the time of 5th go back to using World of Darkness mechanics, not Chronicles of Darkness mechanics with some changes, and don't completely gut the concept and twist it into being all about hunting and the type of food that you drink fueling your powers (or similar nonsense in other 5th Edition venues), then I'll look at purchasing it. If others enjoy it, great. I'm not faulting other peoples' taste, but My personal interest is what they do in 20th Anniversary. I only want to see a 5th Edition (which would really be 4th for Wraith) to the extent of knowing that it would survive (pun intended) for future editions.

Leave a comment:

• Damian May
    replied
    Originally posted by Trategos_Sol View Post

Interesting. What in particular was useful from Wraith TGW for post- 6th great maelstrom setting?

That question is answered in the post quoted by the post you quoted.

Leave a comment:

• Trategos_Sol
    replied
    Originally posted by Onkwe View Post

We used Great War for exactly that purpose instead of blowing up the setting.

Leave a comment:

• tasti man LH
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Rusty Pipe View Post
    Much as I would love to see a Wraith 5th Edition, I'd never back it on Kickstarter.
    ...that's even assuming if it IS going to be on Kickstarter, considering Paradox and Mophidius aren't beholden to do the same things OPP does.

Leave a comment:

• Old Rusty Pipe
    replied
    Much as I would love to see a Wraith 5th Edition, I'd never back it on Kickstarter. Its been four years for the 20th Edition. People make it all the way through college in less time then I've been waiting.

Leave a comment:

• magnus666
    replied
    Basically not to end up like VTM V5 ( just kidding, I dislike some aspects of it ),
    but in all seriousness, like others have stated, I'd wish to get a clear picture about the aftermath of the great maelstrom and the state of the good old shadowlands and for my personal wishlist, I hope they recognize dtf demons and maybe acknowledge the abyss ( maybe it's in the labyrinth, maybe not ), even a little cameo would work .

Leave a comment:

• Onkwe
    replied
    Originally posted by adambeyoncelowe View Post
    However, a post-6GM setting update would be cool. Maybe as a V20.5 edition? In many ways, though, The Great War setting gives us a very good idea of what post-existence would be like during a Great Maelstrom. I always thought they put it out to give us a way to play those chronicles.
    We used Great War for exactly that purpose instead of blowing up the setting.

Leave a comment:

• Ramnesis
    replied
    Originally posted by Grumpy RPG Reviews View Post

That could be something that changed. Maybe things associated with a cause of death are banes to wraiths, something that empowers a shadow for a while or could trigger a harrowing for a weakened or injured wraith. Maybe the legions offer tools for dealing with these situations.

I hope not. Part of the backdrop of Wraith is that many kinds of death fall into more than one Legion and there is constant wrangling to divide up the recently deceased. The Legions are a political distinction, not a metaphysical one.

Leave a comment:

• Ramnesis
    replied
    Originally posted by Grumpy RPG Reviews View Post

That could be something that changed. Maybe things associated with a cause of death are banes to wraiths, something that empowers a shadow for a while or could trigger a harrowing for a weakened or injured wraith. Maybe the legions offer tools for dealing with these situations.

I hope not. Part of the backdrop of Wraith is that many kinds of death fall into more than one Legion and there is constant wrangling to divide up the recently deceased. The Legions are a political distinction, not a metaphysical one.

Leave a comment:

• Grumpy RPG Reviews
    replied
    Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
    While yes, you're initially defined by Legion due to cause of death, there aren't any inherent mechanical effects from joining one.

Leave a comment:

• tasti man LH
    replied
    Yeah Wraith when it comes to factions is kind of...odd.

Going through Wr20, I get the impression that there's simultaneously so many factions, but nothing quite as mandatory as in the other gamelines. Like, being a Hierarch wraith, you need to pick between either being part of the military arm or the civilian arm. Guilds have a not-insubstantial amount of sub-factions within them. And because Heretics and Renegades aren't all united in a singular vision that you can have full freedom to make any Cult or Gang that you wish.

Even with the splats, Wraith is almost a splat-less game. While yes, you're initially defined by Legion due to cause of death, there aren't any inherent mechanical effects from joining one. Even with the Guilds, while yes favoring one particular Arcanos will get you called by the Guild associated by it, but you aren't necessarily a Guildwraith just by having it.

There's nothing as inherent as a Clan, a Tribe, or a Kith. You're just...your own wraith.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X