Risen and Artefacts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Risen and Artefacts

I know that fiction sometimes ignores the official rules, so that statement may very well answer My question. You see, in Wr20, it states that Risen can't have artefacts. None the less, Maxwell Carpenter, in the Year of the Scarab Trilogy, had his. Did I miss something? Are Risen able to acquire Artefacts? If so, other than stealing them from other Wraiths, how would that come about?

Not to be a pest, but I would appreciate some feedback here. Thanks.

Comment

Risen aren't an aspect of Wraith I've spent much time with so I can't comment on the official rules. Metaphysically, though, it makes no sense for Risen to have artifacts from the Underworld. Risen aren't manifesting, they're crawling into a corpse. There's no mechanism for them to bring their Underworld stuff into the skinlands with them.

Perhaps If the Risen in question had some kind of specialty Arcanos that allowed them to carry the artifacts in their Conduit and manifest them when necessary it would make sense.

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

Comment

Risen cannot have artifacts when within the Skinlands, that is when they are Risen, should they pass back to Shadowlands they are just as able as any other Wraith of aquiring artifacts. So basically a Risen could have artifacts stashed away in the Shadowlands waiting his return but they have no official way to bring said artifacts into the Skinlands.

To bring Artifacts into the Skinlands one would need either Awakened Magick, Ash Path Necromancy (if my memory serves me right), a friendly Silent Strider (or other changer able to pass into Shadowlands) a Changeling or another Fae being traversing through Black Paths of Balor (most likely , who are almost Wraiths/Risen themselves, or Sluagh) or through Unleashing of Autumn. But even in these cases it would be ST discretion whether Artifacts of the Underworld can function or are able to endure outside the Underworld. Personally I would allow an Artifact to function and last in the Skinlands if such effort was put into bringing it there but it would retain it’s deathly resonance and likely be regarded as a cursed object by any non Risen and itke mere presence would thin the Shroud around it, atracting all sorts of things.

I have a faint recollection of a rule somewhere about artifacts and items brought from the Underworld to quickly erode in the Skinlands but I cannot remember where it was. Aside from perhaps one such mention, which could even be in first ed Exalted for all I know, it’s every ST for him/herself and YMMV.

Comment

I remember that erosion too, and I seem to remember it being related to sunlight. That could mean it was an Exalted rule, or it could just be because I've been reading the Dresden Files recently.

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. That makes Me more curious about Maxwell Carpenter's special razor. As for the Dresden Files, I got through the first 8 audiobooks. I need to listen to the rest.

Comment

Working...
            X