Book of Oblivion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*flips through ToC*

...aw. Only one new Dark Kingdom-exclusive Arcanos? Well that's a bit of a bummer...although given the page count of this thing, I suppose not much can be done if the devs were trying to squeeze in as much as they could.

Comment

Darn, Kickstarter failed to deliver me the links for Book of Oblivion. I notified Rick by comment and PM on KS. Hope he can send them to me ASAP. I am really eager to read this one.

EDIT: I got the links. Thank you to Rick for the prompt and efficient solution.
      Last edited by Irioth; 05-22-2019, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Aw man, the Merits & Flaws weren't added to the book. I was hoping it would be added, like they were in M20's Book of Secrets.

Comment

Originally posted by MalcolmLittle View Post
          Aw man, the Merits & Flaws weren't added to the book. I was hoping it would be added, like they were in M20's Book of Secrets.
          Nah that I was more prepared for not having.

The way how the book was initially previewed as, including the breakdown of what was in it, nothing seemed to suggest it was going to be a companion book on the level of BoS. That I figured was going to be a later book.

Comment

Clearly we need a Secrets of the Grave book at some point.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
            Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Is the errata deadline this Tuesday? This book seems under-developed.

Comment

nice but what about the rest of us that didnt get a chance to be backers???

Comment

Originally posted by muon View Post
                  Is the errata deadline this Tuesday?
                  No clue. Only way to know for sure is when the errata page closes.

This book seems under-developed.
                  ...in what way?

(bear in mind that from the beginning, I don't think it was ever meant to be on the same scope of, say, M20's Book of Secrets or C20's Player's Guide)

Originally posted by DeadMan View Post
                  nice but what about the rest of us that didnt get a chance to be backers???
                  "When it's done".

Meaning: errata needs to finish collection, integrated into the book, sent back to layout if necessary to accommodate for shifts in the text, get the PoD proofs to make sure everything's ok, and THEN opening it up for DrivethruRPG.

All of which takes a month or more.

Comment

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post

...in what way?

(bear in mind that from the beginning, I don't think it was ever meant to be on the same scope of, say, M20's Book of Secrets or C20's Player's Guide)
                    Loads of inconsistencies with Wraith's theme and mood, even history that should have been caught by anyone with a basic knowledge of W:tO. The biggest examples are a couple of references that refer to Charon still ruling Stygia. Mathew Dawkins comment above seems to indicate that writers were chosen for diversity over experience with Wraith.

Comment

Loads of inconsistencies with Wraith's theme and mood, even history that should have been caught by anyone with a basic knowledge of W:tO. The biggest examples are a couple of references that refer to Charon still ruling Stygia. Mathew Dawkins comment above seems to indicate that writers were chosen for diversity over experience with Wraith.

Did you report said errors on the errata sheet?

(And if it’s a choice between the two, I definitely want writers who actually have an insider perspective on the culture they’re writing about and won’t fall back on exoticizing stereotypes over ones who have a game line pedigree. That said, inconsistencies like that are the job of the book developer to fix)
                      Last edited by glamourweaver; 06-04-2019, 11:46 PM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

Did you report said errors on the errata sheet?
                        I am doing so; there's a lot.

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                        (And if it’s a choice between the two, I definitely want writers who actually have an insider perspective on the culture they’re writing about and won’t fall back on exoticizing stereotypes over ones who have a game line pedigree. That said, inconsistencies like that are the job of the book developer to fix)
                        That's why I said it was under-developed. There doesn't seem to be any special insight to the cultures. The Dark Kingdom of Ivory is worse than ever and borderline offensive on the level of Chechnya in the V5 Camarilla book. The Bush of Ghosts has been turned into a plantation modeled after the slave ones, and another major area is called "The Hood".

Comment

Ok, I'm about to head to bed so I can't talk about all of this, but...

The Bush of Ghosts has been turned into a plantation modeled after the slave ones, and another major area is called "The Hood".
                          Uhm...no it hasn't?

Specifically: the Bush itself hasn't. It's only the "Ivory Mirrorlands" that has. And the Plantation isn't something that was forcefully imposed on the wraiths there. It's an elaborate lie that the leader, Ghede, spearheaded in an effort to save the Ivory Mirrorlands from being taken over by Ya'Qub, and to buy time so their corner of the Ivory Kingdom can prepare and ready themselves to directly fight Ya'Qub and his army.

Comment

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
                            Ok, I'm about to head to bed so I can't talk about all of this, but...

Uhm...no it hasn't?

Specifically: the Bush itself hasn't. It's only the "Ivory Mirrorlands" that has. And the Plantation isn't something that was forcefully imposed on the wraiths there. It's an elaborate lie that the leader, Ghede, spearheaded in an effort to save the Ivory Mirrorlands from being taken over by Ya'Qub, and to buy time so their corner of the Ivory Kingdom can prepare and ready themselves to directly fight Ya'Qub and his army.

OK, I got the two mixed up, but the point still stands. It's not African culture, but a copy of Caribbean culture, even using the same name. It even calls it a "gumbo" mixed with New World cultures. (They aren't preparing to fight Ya'Qub, but hoping the One Who Sleeps will come to save them.)

Comment

OK, I got the two mixed up, but the point still stands. It's not African culture, but a copy of Caribbean culture, even using the same name. It even calls it a "gumbo" mixed with New World cultures.
                              Ok, I'm by no means an expert on the Vodou religion, culture, and it's variations, but going off from a quick scan on Wikipedia...

...what we now know as Haitian Vodou has origins in West Africa. And that we even had a sidebar saying that yes, there are two different Mirrorlands: the one that's part of the Ivory Kingdom and the other one that's part of Haiti. So it doesn't seem out of place to have that here.

And the "gumbo" bit is supposed to be in reference to Ghede deliberately looking at other cultures that fell to colonialism in an attempt to find. Which to me, is less the writer forgetting that gumbo is from a completely different culture, but is supposed to be the ruler of a nation learning what's happening with other peoples to protect his own nation.

(They aren't preparing to fight Ya'Qub, but hoping the One Who Sleeps will come to save them.)
                              Huh? Yeah they are. Or rather: they're doing both.

Comment

I will say the new version of the DKoI seems super concentrated on coastal regions of Central Western Africa to the detriment of detailing other areas of the continent.

Using the names Plantation and Hood are weirding me out as they're not terms used in any of the african diaspora here and I'm not sure where they may have been sourced from other than the US ( which would be really weird, why not use one of the hundreds of Shona, Swahili, Igbo etc. words available...hell even French would make more sense....
                                Last edited by Damian May; 06-07-2019, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X