X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a couple quick questions

Hi all,

Hope your world's are fantastic.
    I've recently started a game and have some simple questions I've been wondering about.

Where are Wraiths on the electricity angle? Do they understand TV's and cell phones and have them available in the shadowlands in a way that's usable? I've seen a previous post about cell phones and how they wouldn't be able to connect to radio towers and whathaveyou. I agree with all that. I was wondering if there was anything new on this angle.

Secondly, I was wondering about physicality of buildings in Necropoli and how wraiths operate in bustling cities while being passed through constantly. Is there a point to owning a relic car in a necropolis? If a major haunt is also a major tourist centre (Omni Parker Hotel) how do Wraiths navigate that? Can a building at once be perfectly fine in the skinlands but have a physical structure in the shadowlands? Is there ever overlap of old structure in the shadowlands clashing with newly made structure in the skinlands? It's challenging for me to imagine the overlap of necropolis meshing with skinland city.

There's a prohibition edge in my game. Can a wraith drink regardless of whether they get sustenance from it? Is the fluid made from other Wraiths? Can wraiths drink tempest water? What happens when you stew plasm in tempest water?

Thank you in advance,
    - Diproc

Originally posted by Diproclaminious View Post
    Hi all,
    Where are Wraiths on the electricity angle? Do they understand TV's and cell phones and have them available in the shadowlands in a way that's usable? I've seen a previous post about cell phones and how they wouldn't be able to connect to radio towers and whathaveyou. I agree with all that. I was wondering if there was anything new on this angle.
    Yes. There are plenty of newer and younger wraiths that were born and lived through the 20th century technological age. So they would take that knowledge with them into the Underworld.

As for electronics in the Shadowlands, wraiths are unfortunately dependent on whatever comes back through in relic form. Due to how complex electronics are and the amount of parts that go into them, they're very tricky to build in Artifact form. I could see a super-dedicated Artificer do it, but it's not something you can mass-produce.

I mean if you're talking official material, we haven't had anything new since the Wr20 corebook. And I don't think the upcoming Book of Oblivion is going to really dive into this subject matter.

Secondly, I was wondering about physicality of buildings in Necropoli and how wraiths operate in bustling cities while being passed through constantly. Is there a point to owning a relic car in a necropolis? If a major haunt is also a major tourist centre (Omni Parker Hotel) how do Wraiths navigate that? Can a building at once be perfectly fine in the skinlands but have a physical structure in the shadowlands? Is there ever overlap of old structure in the shadowlands clashing with newly made structure in the skinlands? It's challenging for me to imagine the overlap of necropolis meshing with skinland city.
    Rule of Ouch and Excuse Me is a thing that should not be ignored (Wr20, p. 293).

Basically, while wraiths are more durable to Skinlands damage, they still take damage. 1 Bashing damage on it's own isn't a big deal, but it definitely adds up over time. And if a wraith is too careless, it's straight to Harrowing-town. So if a wraith is strolling through, to use your example, a hotel that's in off-season with very little people around and the one guy on his business trip brushes past them, they should be fine. But if it's in-season and the place is swarming with tourists, and the wraith is standing in the middle of the lobby of it all, yeah they're going to have a bad time.

Another way of looking at it: there's a reason why ghosts tend to be the most active at night. There's less busy activity around that'll trigger Incorporeal state.

Comment

I've always allowed wraiths to drink 'booze' made from liquid Pathos or plasm, made by those sufficient in Usury and/or Inhabit, with the benefit of gaining a point in either. Or they can drink Tempest water with flavours/intimations created by a Chanteur or Solicitor, for example. There would be no value to drinking 'dead' water, so it's pointless unless you give it some mechanical or flavour benefit. Things of the Underworld would otherwise have little to no taste.

As for mobile phones: I think there's a thread on this already. We discussed whether relic phones could be connected using various Arcanoi (Inhabit, Lifeweb, etc) to 'connect' them. Most likely, if this were possible, they'd have a Pathos battery or use the wraith's own supply, requiring one point per 'call'.

Lots of relic phones would come through, but only a tiny number would be worth adapting into Artefacts.

Comment

IIRC, the Spooks do a lot of business selling liquid pathos as the equivalent of booze.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
        Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

(Players Guild) ( and wr20) As for food and drinks, look into the dark kingdom of SWAR, and the arconos of Displace, also in Midnight express the food car has descriptions of eatables.

in the Great War, there is an Artifact: Canteen it has up to 3 pathos in Liquid form, and it is said that can taste like tea, milk, and or anything else the ST allows.

i have a question though, Soul-Fire crystals, it many places in the text(s) it is said that the legions are given crystals with Pathos, since while they are deployed the members can't go gather Pathos from their passions.
          but in the wr20 there is a text that claims the crystals cant be held, so is the forums opinion

Comment

Working...
          X