Non-wraiths and Arcanoi

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-wraiths and Arcanoi

Just checking if I am missing something. Is there any way for a non-wraith/Risen to acquire arcanoi (not including if the Wraith is skinriding them)? Wasn't sure if this was a possibility.

I want to say no, but I'm not 100% certain of that.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Nothing is coming to mind, unless you count the Wraith20 rules for Orpheus Projectors.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
        Nothing is coming to mind, unless you count the Wraith20 rules for Orpheus Projectors.

*reads them*

Actually, this is in that wheelhouse. Would not mid other ideas but this is a great starting point. Thank you!

Comment

Mediums book gives us information on Spectre Cults and one of the investments a Spectre can give it’s follower is the first level of any Arcanoi it possesses. The cost tends to be quite high for the mortal of course but that is one way to gain Arcanoi as a non-Wraith.

Comment

Incidentally, we're due for a Wr20 update for Spectre Cults in the upcoming Book of Oblivion.

Comment

dark arcanos: Maleficence this can give mortals powers, it is mostly used in mortal cults. its in the Spectres Dark Reflections book, good read and the Doom Slayers book great work on Spectres and the Labyrinth

Comment

Originally posted by EndlessKng View Post
                *reads them*

Actually, this is in that wheelhouse. Would not mid other ideas but this is a great starting point. Thank you!
                I think that's all you're going to get officially. Unofficially, I think a prerequisite of gaining access to the Arcanoi his that you have to have died, or at least had a near-death experience. Projectors are such people who have learned how to separate their ghosts from their bodies (though some require considerable technological assistance to do so); but that doesn't mean that that's the only way to go. You could also borrow a page from Chronicles of Darkness's Geist, and have a near-death experience serve as a catalyst that unlocks the Arcanoi: basically, a Projector without the signature ability to project. (The original Orpheus gameline had a set of splats called Laments, which included two kinds of Projectors: Skimmers and Sleepers, and two kinds of ghosts: Spirits and Hues. This hack would amount to adding a fifth Lament that's neither Projector nor Ghost: for lack of a better name, a kind of super-Medium.)

Or think of it a bit like the protagonists of Mummy: the Resurrection, except that the soul fragment that gets integrated into your soul comes from a ghost rather than an ancient Egyptian cyclic immortal; and so the powers that it unlocks are Wraith's Arcanoi instead of Mummy's Hekau. You'd need some bit of lore to explain how such a thing might happen; but that shouldn't be too hard to manage. In some ways, the result isn't all that different from a Risen, except that the most isn't merely animated; it's actually alive.

You could also use the Projector rules as an alternate take on the Benandanti: but instead of advanced technology and/or meditation techniques letting the Benandanti project, a mystical ritual is responsible.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                  I think that's all you're going to get officially. Unofficially, I think a prerequisite of gaining access to the Arcanoi his that you have to have died, or at least had a near-death experience. Projectors are such people who have learned how to separate their ghosts from their bodies (though some require considerable technological assistance to do so); but that doesn't mean that that's the only way to go. You could also borrow a page from Chronicles of Darkness's Geist, and have a near-death experience serve as a catalyst that unlocks the Arcanoi: basically, a Projector without the signature ability to project. (The original Orpheus gameline had a set of splats called Laments, which included two kinds of Projectors: Skimmers and Sleepers, and two kinds of ghosts: Spirits and Hues. This hack would amount to adding a fifth Lament that's neither Projector nor Ghost: for lack of a better name, a kind of super-Medium.)

Or think of it a bit like the protagonists of Mummy: the Resurrection, except that the soul fragment that gets integrated into your soul comes from a ghost rather than an ancient Egyptian cyclic immortal; and so the powers that it unlocks are Wraith's Arcanoi instead of Mummy's Hekau. You'd need some bit of lore to explain how such a thing might happen; but that shouldn't be too hard to manage. In some ways, the result isn't all that different from a Risen, except that the most isn't merely animated; it's actually alive.

You could also use the Projector rules as an alternate take on the Benandanti: but instead of advanced technology and/or meditation techniques letting the Benandanti project, a mystical ritual is responsible.
                  I had considered the "living risen" option as well for my work - something where a near-death experience let the person die just long enough to manifest a shadow, but then was revived/resuscitated akin to Geist qnd able to tap into strange new powers. Alternatively, having someone find a conduit after the psyche was eliminated by something, allowing them to draw on the power of a wraith but joining the wraith's shadow into their own mind.

The Benandanti angle hadn't occurred to me though... that is something to consider.

There is also the angle of using the arcanoi to "simulate" a different type of supernatural, as the core books often do... perhaps use them as an alternative basis for sphere magic, but with added flexibility (i.e. Fatalism gives the simulated mage its base powers but can also extend to other aspects), or use them as a variant to sorcerous paths for a group like the Benandanti.

Thanks to all who replied for the advice! If you think of any other ideas, though, keep adding them!

Comment

I was fairly certain most projectors had to be projecting in order to use their Horrors (the Orpheus term for Arcanoi). In that scenario it is less that someone needs to have a near death experience, and more that they have to be an unshielded spirit.

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

Comment

Originally posted by Ramnesis View Post
                      I was fairly certain most projectors had to be projecting in order to use their Horrors (the Orpheus term for Arcanoi). In that scenario it is less that someone needs to have a near death experience, and more that they have to be an unshielded spirit.
                      They do have to be projecting... mostly. However, it does mention that Fatalism and one other (I think Pandemomium) sometimes manifest spontaneous anyways.
                      Also... arguably skimmers could project and then inhabit their own bodies again, using their flesh and blood but accessing their powers, but on a limit because pathos drains down. A bit of a cheat but still possible. It could be played off as entering an altered state where you have access to more power but are on a time limit.

Comment

May have found another option... ish. Using the Chole background and Spirit Mentor or Supernatural companion, you could in theory get a ghost to inhabit you. There probably would need to be an understanding so that the ghost does the just run off with your body (hence the Companion merit), but perhaps you could strike a deal or, I'd you are a sorcerer, cast a ritual of binding on the wraith where it can experience sensations and feed on Pathos in exchange for lending its powers. Sort of a variation on Geist, but using the rules from the Sorcerer book. You could even use a variation on shadow or P'o mechanics where the wraith is the other entity, and makes offers or temptations to try and get more or more specific sensations

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                          Or think of it a bit like the protagonists of Mummy: the Resurrection, except that the soul fragment that gets integrated into your soul comes from a ghost rather than an ancient Egyptian cyclic immortal; and so the powers that it unlocks are Wraith's Arcanoi instead of Mummy's Hekau
                          I just wanted to chime in and note that the Tem-akh that you just mentioned (albeit not by name) is almost always a Wraith, well, a fragment of one, like the Khaibit (Shadow), Ba (Psyche), and so on. The exception to the rule is the rare Amenti whose Tem-akh had been one of the older Reborn (those with the Lesser Resurrection Flaw), who was shattered by the storm, and even them, it's going to be one of the same type of soul fragments. There have never been exhaustive rules about what powers a Nehem-sen might have on its Hajj. It's pretty well implied that "staying in one piece for up to 70 days while seeking resurrection" is just that, but if there were any other powers, just throw in whatever Arcanoi make sense. They'll all be gone once the Spell of Life is performed, but there you have it.

Comment

Working...
                          X