Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Orpheus in Wraith 20?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Orpheus in Wraith 20?

    So, this is on my list to acquire becuase I think Wraith is just amazing.

    I just heard that there is a chapter dealing with Orpheus? How does it handle it? What does it include?

    Also is the rules for Risen?


    "No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson

  • #2
    The Orpheus appendix is a little over 20 pages, covering a brief summary of the premise and arc of Orpheus, rules for running projectors and hues as Wraith characters with Arcanoi and Stains, and storytelling advice. Interestingly, it presents the Orpheus Group and other projectors as contemporary with the Dark Kingdoms, rather than rising in the aftermath of the Ends of Empire. The storytelling advice very briefly mentions the possibilities of wraiths from the Dark Kingdoms interacting with projectors and how that might go.

    The Risen also occupy a chapter of their own of about the same size, including rules on Risen player characters and storytelling advice, and their special Fascinate and Serendipity Arcanoi.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Stupid Loserman View Post
      The Orpheus appendix is a little over 20 pages, covering a brief summary of the premise and arc of Orpheus, rules for running projectors and hues as Wraith characters with Arcanoi and Stains, and storytelling advice. Interestingly, it presents the Orpheus Group and other projectors as contemporary with the Dark Kingdoms, rather than rising in the aftermath of the Ends of Empire. The storytelling advice very briefly mentions the possibilities of wraiths from the Dark Kingdoms interacting with projectors and how that might go.

      The Risen also occupy a chapter of their own of about the same size, including rules on Risen player characters and storytelling advice, and their special Fascinate and Serendipity Arcanoi.
      When a projector projects how so their stats look? I am sure wraith characters replace the usual spirit option from the original Orpheus. Would I still need the original Orpheus book?

      That's awesome - Risen were great because the Crow was a Risen.


      "No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson

      Comment


      • #4
        A projector's while projecting are basically the same as a normal wraith's stats, though their Passion and Corpus interact (to replace the Vitality stat), and the stuff that's different because they're not truly dead.

        You don't need the original Orpheus books, but they'd help for running an Orpheus game that wants to include the plots in the original books, since the pages on that are nice for trying to make Orpheus work in Wr20, but not a full replacement. So it depends on what you plan on doing with it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
          A projector's while projecting are basically the same as a normal wraith's stats, though their Passion and Corpus interact (to replace the Vitality stat), and the stuff that's different because they're not truly dead.

          You don't need the original Orpheus books, but they'd help for running an Orpheus game that wants to include the plots in the original books, since the pages on that are nice for trying to make Orpheus work in Wr20, but not a full replacement. So it depends on what you plan on doing with it.
          Ah ok.

          I dont think I would be able to acquire all of the books but I was thinking maybe the core for more background information and fluff.


          "No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson

          Comment


          • #6
            All the Orpheus books are on DTRPG to get at least the PDFs for (there's a bundle that's 40% off all of the PDFs including the novel).

            As for background info... one of the issues is that Orpheus core purposefully leaves a lot of stuff out (Wr20 even has a box labelled Spoiler Alert! because of this). Since Orpheus is metaplot done really well, each book adds new things as the characters and players learn more about the setting as they explore the events as they unfold. Even the ST section in the core doesn't reveal all the secrets of the background of the setting walled off from the players on the honor system.

            So Wr20 has less space, but in someways covers the background information in more detail than Orpheus core does because it goes over the whole thing.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
              You don't need the original Orpheus books, but they'd help for running an Orpheus game that wants to include the plots in the original books, since the pages on that are nice for trying to make Orpheus work in Wr20, but not a full replacement. So it depends on what you plan on doing with it.
              I'll have to read over it, or get some kind soul to summarize for me, to work on he inevitable character sheet for this. I've had at least one person ask, so I'll have to see what I can do.

              But first, I need to iron out my Wraith20 sheet...




              MrGone's Character Sheets
              For all your WoD Character Sheet Needs
              _________________________________
              Buy books & pdfs from DTRPG and support my web site! Click Here
              Support my site on Patreon! Click Here

              Comment


              • #8
                I can go over the difference from the standard Wraith sheet if you want... though probably PM?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
                  I can go over the difference from the standard Wraith sheet if you want... though probably PM?
                  Sure, a PM would be awesome.

                  Thanks!

                  No telling when I'll actually get to start on it...but I appreciate the help!


                  MrGone's Character Sheets
                  For all your WoD Character Sheet Needs
                  _________________________________
                  Buy books & pdfs from DTRPG and support my web site! Click Here
                  Support my site on Patreon! Click Here

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
                    I can go over the difference from the standard Wraith sheet if you want... though probably PM?
                    Sweet. I cant wait to see the sheet for this


                    "No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Wr20 changes a few major elements of Orpheus in order to make projectors usable in a Wraith campaign. The most notable differences being dramatic metaphysical changes to the nature of Shadows and the Underworld. Also, there are no old Wraiths in Orpheus (pretty sure that's established in the Orpheus core), wheras there's an entire Dark Empire of them in the Wr20 writeup. A number of the major plot points in the Orpheus storyline don't make nearly as much sense using Wraith themes (Orphan Grinders come to mind).




                      Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Shenron View Post

                        Sweet. I cant wait to see the sheet for this
                        Hopefully I can do a decent job for y'all.


                        MrGone's Character Sheets
                        For all your WoD Character Sheet Needs
                        _________________________________
                        Buy books & pdfs from DTRPG and support my web site! Click Here
                        Support my site on Patreon! Click Here

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Mr Gone View Post

                          Hopefully I can do a decent job for y'all.
                          You always do


                          "No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Stupid Loserman View Post
                            The Orpheus appendix is a little over 20 pages, covering a brief summary of the premise and arc of Orpheus, rules for running projectors and hues as Wraith characters with Arcanoi and Stains, and storytelling advice. Interestingly, it presents the Orpheus Group and other projectors as contemporary with the Dark Kingdoms, rather than rising in the aftermath of the Ends of Empire. The storytelling advice very briefly mentions the possibilities of wraiths from the Dark Kingdoms interacting with projectors and how that might go.
                            Actually that's not that strange as the Orpheus Group came into existence in the 90s, with the infamous Project Flatline happening in 1996. They just didn't really get into the swing of it until after the Sixth Great Maelstrom which hasn't happened yet in Wr20, leaving them in a different situation from what they were originally.

                            In fact, Orpheus is the only Rev Ed gameline that doesn't actually require the metaplot events of 1999 to exist.


                            Homo sapiens. What an inventive, invincible species. It's only a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenceless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable. Indomitable.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              It does require them, though, at least in the official storyline. Clearly the Orpheus storyline is going to go very differently with Stygia still intact.


                              Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X