Supernatural Hauntings and Ghost Curses not represented by Wraith

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supernatural Hauntings and Ghost Curses not represented by Wraith

So one of the problems, minor problem, I have is we need more examples or methods of odd hauntings and what not you can't replicate easily with the Wraith rules. Things like say modern horror like Samara from the Ring, a lot of it could be represented with Pandemonium and what not but creating those scary videos, dwelling in a Pocket Dimension of the Well and Physically turning the Television into a portal.

And weird elemental curses like those who died in a fire controlling flame or having Demonic minions made of flame. Weird Immortal Dead/Revenant myths like when Odin cursed an Army to return from death over and over. Just weird odd ghost story stuff.

You can handle it with handwaving by saying Plasmics could exist that could do it, and that could be interesting and would be nice to have more examples of mysterious Plasmics that dwell in the Shadowland rather then the Tempest, Tindel Hounds are great after all.

Oddly I find Changeling and Mage better at representing certain Hauntings and ghost stories. One of the strengths I found with Geist was they were pretty good at the weird ghost powers allowing you to Freddy Krueger people (Sandman can do this) and replicate Tales from the Crypt style Twists.

How do others handle certain ghost stories and curses not easily represented by Wraith?

Honestly, I tend to had wave a lot of it if not involved in a fight with the PCs.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy RPG Reviews View Post
      Honestly, I tend to had wave a lot of it if not involved in a fight with the PCs.
      Yeah that's the current method for weirdness, either handwave (like they do with Ancient Ghost's systemless might) or do a crossover.

But with that in mind for Crossovers I've made a Selkie Queen whose whooed mortals and unleashed magic upon a the ghost of a dead lover to cast him and his sword forever in Faery Fire. And enchanting ghostly goods for her mortal souls.

Comment

Samara?

Inhabit to possess and control tv’s, videos etc. And to ride the electric Highway to the television in question if need be.

Embody, or with Wr20 Pandemonium, to manifest from the TV and attack the victim. Also Embody in Wr20 could help one pull the victim to your well, that is into Shadowlands.

Pandemonium for the flies, water and other manifestations and odd phenomenon happening, like in Rings the rain falling upwards.

Lifeweb to splice strand into the tape for easier following and acting around it.

Possibly Usury to drain the life of a victim and this explaining why they appear as they do.

That should cover most of the things Samara does in Ring movies.

There are some differences between that and what Sadako does in the original Ringu movies but those Arcanoi could help with them as well.

Remember though that Samara/Sadako is quite clearly a Spectre and thus has access to Dark Arcanoi as well for added effect.

Comment

Those are good points.

Comment

As for elemental ghosts who died by fire, for example, it’s mostly through Outrage/Pandemonium. Outrage is able to cause fires though control is beyond it, but creative uses of Pandemonium may help in controlling it, make flammables less so as they are soaked in foul liquids Etc.

Controlled fires and even demonic fire beings can be conjured through a combination of Embody/Phantasm.

Comment

Regarding The Ring, the American version implies that she may have been not entirely human, and IIRC, the original Japanese novel is almost explicit that she is not.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
              Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Yeah, wasn't Sadako's father more or less stated to be some kind of sea demon in the original film?

I could also see an argument that the whole "Hell is real" aspect implies infernal powers at work rather than ghostly.

Comment

Wasn't she hermaphroditic in the original literature, and something something Universal Metavirus.

Comment

It's been a few years since I've read the novel, but I believe the answer is yes to both. (It gave some specific term for her condition, but I forget what it was, or even if it was a real thing.)
                    I need to read the rest of the trilogy at some point.

As for odd haunting effects, I'm still trying to figure out how you'd do the end of Poltergiest in Wraith other than ST fiat.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

There's certainly a lot of classical hauntings that aren't addressed by Wraith. It was something I gave a lot of though too once. I'll share some of them here if people are interested. Just comment and discuss, and I'll share more.

Automatic Writing

Phenomenon: The living enter a trance where they unconsciously write messages from those beyond the Shroud.

WoD Explanation: Many cases are due to the use of the Puppetry Arcanoi. However, in some cases the Shadow of the living has accessed the Hive Mind. Some individuals have an instinctive Merit to access this, while others only develop it due to continued attunement by Puppeteers until it occurs instinctively. What messages are delivered by Automatic Writing is determined by both the living’s subconscious or conscious desires and whatever inscrutable warnings the Hive Mind wishes to deliver.

Comment

By all means share. One thing I think that could be useful is a power to have semiautonomous like plasmic entities. Like a Pandemonium/Phantasm or Embody Alloyed Arcanos that makes things that creep around the shadows of mortal perceptions, or sentient willowisps or man faced rats like Dreams in a Witches house.

Comment

I've never gone down the path of having any power to create a semi-autonomous plasmic entity. I'd just use some weird moliated mind blown Spectre, or use some kind of actual plasmic entity that somehow crossed over. It's just the matter of determining the gimmick that allows that temporary kind of Shroud crossing. Perhaps a curse artifact, or a special plot device for a certain Nephwrack cult.

Here's the next one.

Black Dogs

Phenomenon: Many cultures throughout the ages have ongoing myths detail about spectral black dogs associated with death. They have various names in different times and cultures such as barghests, shucks, spectral hounds, or black dogs. They usually appear in lonely country lanes or cemeteries. Their appearance in the Skinlands are taken as omens of death.

WoD Explanation: Many of these dogs are in fact barghests: moliated Wraiths, given the appearance of dogs, that serve the Hierarchy. However, some are actually plasmic creatures called Deliriums and Phantasies. (Some of these, like the fabled pale horses of the Equitae, are in the service of highly-placed Hierarchs.) Black dog appearances may have mundane causes (Hierarchy hunting parties cross the Shroud at the right time and place to hunt criminals, or p
                          erhaps the Legion of Faith has special plasmic creatures in their service that "track" humans fated to die and lead the Legion's reapers to them) or weirder ones (the wishes of Fate or Oblivion causes Phantasies to cross over as omens of the ST's plot involving death in the Skinlands, or activites of Spectres).

Skinland areas of repeated reports of black dogs may indicate the presence of frequent Legion patrols, or Nihils that attract plasmic creatures from the Tempest, combined with a special reason why they manifest in the Skinlands. Perhaps the Shroud is particularly weak or non-existent there at certain times, or the Skinlands area is known as a place where the Dictum Mortem is routinely violated and special legionary patrols are allowed to break the Shround in order to appehend the criminals.
                          Last edited by Black Fox; 04-25-2020, 03:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Fox View Post
                            I've never gone down the path of having any power to create a semi-autonomous plasmic entity. I'd just use some weird moliated mind blown Spectre, or use some kind of actual plasmic entity that somehow crossed over. It's just the matter of determining the gimmick that allows that temporary kind of Shroud crossing. Perhaps a curse artifact, or a special plot device for a certain Nephwrack cult.

Here's the next one.

Black Dogs Phenomenon: Many cultures throughout the ages have ongoing myths detail about spectral black dogs associated with death. They have various names in different times and cultures such as barghests, shucks, spectral hounds, or black dogs. They usually appear in lonely country lanes or cemeteries. Their appearance in the Skinlands are taken as omens of death.

WoD Explanation: Many of these dogs are in fact barghests: moliated Wraiths, given the appearance of dogs, that serve the Hierarchy. However, some are actually plasmic creatures called Deliriums and Phantasies. (Some of these, like the fabled pale horses of the Equitae, are in the service of highly-placed Hierarchs.) Black dog appearances may have mundane causes (Hierarchy hunting parties cross the Shroud at the right time and place to hunt criminals, or p
                            erhaps the Legion of Faith has special plasmic creatures in their service that "track" humans fated to die and lead the Legion's reapers to them) or weirder ones (the wishes of Fate or Oblivion causes Phantasies to cross over as omens of the ST's plot involving death in the Skinlands, or activites of Spectres).

Skinland areas of repeated reports of black dogs may indicate the presence of frequent Legion patrols, or Nihils that attract plasmic creatures from the Tempest, combined with a special reason why they manifest in the Skinlands. Perhaps the Shroud is particularly weak or non-existent there at certain times, or the Skinlands area is known as a place where the Dictum Mortem is routinely violated and special legionary patrols are allowed to break the Shround in order to appehend the criminals.
                            ...and sometimes they're Silent Strider Ahroun sample characters from a tribebook!

Comment

Not all the things have to be wraith related either. It could be Umbral spirit related. Most humans would say that they were haunted though as they are not cosmologists and most people are also not animistic.

Comment

Working...
                              X