No announcement yet.

Orpheus 5th

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IIRC, the published material suggested several possibilities for what exactly Grandmother is: (1) Oblivion itself manifesting in a tangible way that formerly-human minds could perceive if not comprehend, (2) the remnant of a dead universe that refuses to rest in peace and somehow found its way into the current one through the void, or (3) an equal(?) and opposite counterpart to God/the creative force of the universe.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt the Bruins fan View Post
      IIRC, the published material suggested several possibilities for what exactly Grandmother is: (1) Oblivion itself manifesting in a tangible way that formerly-human minds could perceive if not comprehend, (2) the remnant of a dead universe that refuses to rest in peace and somehow found its way into the current one through the void, or (3) an equal(?) and opposite counterpart to God/the creative force of the universe.
      The first explanation never worked for me. Grandmother had vastly different themes than Oblivion.

One of the major elements of Wraith was that you either had to let go or you would be forced to let go. Holding on to the trappings of your life and your will could keep you anchored temporarily, but sooner or later or much, much later, Oblivion would erode them away and claim you. Once it claimed you fully, you were gone forever. Everything that falls into it is gone forever. The only way to escape its pull was to fully let go and Transcend.

Let go or you will end.

In Orpheus, though, your desire for life is necessary. Increasing it brings you closer to Transcendence. Losing it lets Grandmother claim you. Once she does you work for her. Even if your mind is completely annihilated she will still absorb your substance and create new and alien life. There is no end in Grandmother.

Live or you will be forced to live.

The second and third explanations made more sense, though Grandmother is weaker than any counterpoint to God I would depict.

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

Comment

They probably view Orpheus as a more marketable Angle to handle Wraith for 5th eds unified world of darkness.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

I absolutely adore Orpheus, and Wraith both. I'd love to see Orpheus brought back. Honestly, Orpheus is why I could never get into "Geist" for Chronicles of Darkness. The Underworld of Chronicles is just... not as cool as Wraith's by any stretch of the word... and Orpheus handled the living people helping Ghosts thing better than Geist did, while also getting to play in that awesome Wraithly underworld.

Comment

Working...
          X