Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Famous Wraiths

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Famous Wraiths

    What are some real world people you've put in your game as wraiths? Did they change significantly from their real world counterparts after becoming a ghost?

    I havent played this game in years but some people I'd like to introduce might be people like James Dean or Malcolm X.


    The Hecata are a sect not a clan.

  • #2
    The Emerald Legion reaped a Wraith in 2006 who became a Helldiver who is pushing the boundary on understanding the necrosystem of the Labyrinth beyond even the knowledge of the Order of Thorns...

    “Ah look at that Mortwright right there! She’s a bute! I’m gonna wrastle her!”


    Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

    Comment


    • #3
      Speaking of the Emerald Legion, at my own table, the former Emrald Lord who sided with the Smiling Lord in the Great War is publically known to have gotten Harrowed in the conflict. The Legion is led by an Emerald Lady these days, and it’s pretty much an open secret that she’s Mary Ward https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Ward_(scientist)


      Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

      Comment


      • #4
        Honestly, when ones looking into a city, when it comes to wraith I find that looking at the cities founders and developers often provide a smorgasbord of passionate people who have obvious reasons to be bound to the city of the chronicle after death.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
          The Emerald Legion reaped a Wraith in 2006 who became a Helldiver who is pushing the boundary on understanding the necrosystem of the Labyrinth beyond even the knowledge of the Order of Thorns...

          “Ah look at that Mortwright right there! She’s a bute! I’m gonna wrastle her!”
          You know he and Charles Darwin allegedly owned the same tortoise. Sadly, Harriet died in 2006. Otherwise you could have had the interesting idea of two famous ghosts from different centuries having the same living fetish.


          What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
          Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

          Comment


          • #6
            Well, I've always felt that there exists a Wraith 'caste' that I call 'tulpa,' based on an idea from James A. Owens's "Imaginarium Geographica." In that series, a person could create a physical-like form for themselves after they died, or one of any other alive or dead. I think such a thing could also exist in Wraith. A person could inadvertently, or purposefully, create a version of someone who died, either someone close or a famous celebrity, upon their death. It could even theoretically happen with a fictional character or someone who is still alive. After getting over one's feelings for the original being, a ghost would form free of its creators's constraints. Such tulpas would have little or no Willpower and be little more than Drones. However, a few could become full fledged Wraiths and lead a typical existence. This phenomenon could explain why certain figures appear in multiple locations, as well as a relatively constant source of material to the forges. The more famous the figure, the more tulpas that could be formed. Most of them Drones


            THWarted

            Comment


            • #7
              I used Julius Caesar as a Ferryman in a campaign some years ago. He guided the players to help Abel escape from his prison.

              Comment


              • #8
                I plan on having Neal Cassady as a character in my upcoming game. He’ll be one of the reapers who find the PCs....drives a bus.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Toby Weingarten View Post
                  Well, I've always felt that there exists a Wraith 'caste' that I call 'tulpa,' based on an idea from James A. Owens's "Imaginarium Geographica." In that series, a person could create a physical-like form for themselves after they died, or one of any other alive or dead. I think such a thing could also exist in Wraith. A person could inadvertently, or purposefully, create a version of someone who died, either someone close or a famous celebrity, upon their death. It could even theoretically happen with a fictional character or someone who is still alive. After getting over one's feelings for the original being, a ghost would form free of its creators's constraints. Such tulpas would have little or no Willpower and be little more than Drones. However, a few could become full fledged Wraiths and lead a typical existence. This phenomenon could explain why certain figures appear in multiple locations, as well as a relatively constant source of material to the forges. The more famous the figure, the more tulpas that could be formed. Most of them Drones
                  So in my headcanon Wraiths are not the complete soul of the person who died, just the two parts that refused to move on: the one that doesn't want to let go and the one that wants to cease entirely. The rest of the soul is chilling at the gateway to whatever comes next until it is unstuck. So in a sense, a Wraith is a fictional representation of the character of the person who died. They have the memories, but emotionally they are more like a highlight reel of what drove the character.

                  That leaves the door open for something else to imprint itself on the world in the same way. A characterization without an original source. It's memories wouldn't be as fully formed, but in drive and motivation it would be the same.

                  The two real differences I see are that (1) most of these Tulpas would be either Wraiths or Spectres, but they would not have Shadows or Psyches because most characters aren't written that way. (2) They could never transcend because there is no soul waiting for them at the gateway.


                  Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I like to use real ghosts when I can.

                    Abe Lincoln was an Anacreon of the Legion of Fate in Washington DC. He was charged with the responsibility of preventing Spectres from unleashing a nuclear war by any manipulation of American politicians. He was given Stygian's highest honor for his work during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

                    When I ran my Chicago Necropolis story, Resurrection Mary was an NPC.

                    Julius Caesar was the Smiling Lord.

                    The USS Arizona is the pride of the fleet of the Stygian Navy.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      One cool thing about Wraith it that it's the one gameline where you can use lots of famous historic personages without being tacky.

                      It's not like any of them never died.


                      Blood and Bourbon, my New Orleans-based Vampire chronicle.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I have too many historical figures in my campaign to list, as my chronicle is deeply tied into the real history of Seattle, but the only one that will mean anything to most people is that Kurt Cobain is the Anacreon of the Silent Legion. You can regularly catch him performing at the Frye Opera House.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Dude I'm all for Sammy Clemens and Eddy Poe not wasted by being turned into Ashtrays or passing on to the beyond/transcending. I'd make em wraiths with a healthy supple of Memorium, but probably going under Pseudonyms. Dudes like them and Byron feel like they would have a cult of personality if they didn't get friggin turned into furniture.


                          I know they didn't make many celebrity wraiths because they didn't want them to dominate their setting so they could just make new characters, but man I read that Jonathan Hickman Shield Series. It would be amazing to have a secret Illuminati/SHIELD type society where Leonardo Davinci gathers Einstein and Tesla and Hawkins into their own Guild, like a splinter of the Artificers maybe. And they are developing Insane Arcanoi. Like an Arcanos is like a piece of metaphysical technology, or a science. Imagine a think tank of these wraiths developing Arcanoi based around cheating physics! Now give them Some Relic Cray Super Computers, access to the Library of Alexandria and build an Artifact Computer out of soul Forged no name genius, boom that would be hella entertaining!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Personally, I see them as prime candidates for instant Transcendence. Not everyone who dies becomes a Wraith.


                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                              Personally, I see them as prime candidates for instant Transcendence. Not everyone who dies becomes a Wraith.
                              But I measure over what would be more fun that Einstein didn't have enough angst to be caught between reincarnation or he is a secret ghost measuring Ghost Physics and Ghost Math!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X