No announcement yet.

Wraith the Oblivion: Afterlife announced

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And what do you think is going to be the game about? I have read some suggestions in reddit comparing the game with Silent Hill.

Comment

Eh, this looks like its gonna be kinda artsy just from the fact that it's going to be VR. No combat, your going to be a set character instead of the ability to tailor who want to be (character customization), and its probably going to do alot of weird things to amp the horror of Wraith- despite being the whole appeal of Wraith is that you get to BE the center of fear as a Ghost or carry on with your own personal Ghost story. Part of the only horror I feel is legitimate in Wraith is the Shadow itself- something integral to every Wraith, but it is only ever detrimental and wants to abscond the player to Oblivion or Shadowing-Eating it at any cost. That is internal, but I feel as if this is going to try and make Wraith externally scary- however that's going to work despite y'know, already being dead. Maybe there will be alot of Spectres about in the mansion? I'm just kinda bummed that this is a VR only game, if it wasn't I would definitely be hyped for this. I guess I'll watch lets play videos of it on Youtube when it comes out.

Addendum: I also doubt its going to delve in the interesting internal politics of the Hierarchy or the other splattering of factions in the various Guilds, Heretic cults, and Renegades at all. Though it would make sense for there not to be much Hierarchy since it got "wiped" due to the 6th Great Maelstorm (..lol), but there certainly will be Guilds about, Heretics, and.. maybe Renegades? Though I don't know how they'd be Renegades with no more central authority labeling them as such anymore, now they'll just be independent polities, bandits, and/or neo-Kingdoms trying to fill in the gap of the Hierarchy. I think they will go the agnostic route for all these factions however. I also wonder if any Arcanoi will be utilized for this VR title thinking about Guilds again.. I honestly doubt how much respect Wraith will be allotted here, because it was always niche with a minuscule fanbase.
      Last edited by Shakanaka; 06-14-2020, 10:52 AM.

Jade Kingdom Warrior

Comment

I'm guessing its a VR 'spooky' walk around of the hotel with a couple of binary choices to be made that don't really have much impact except what the end scene is. Thats pretty much 95% of VR games.

Comment

Interview with one of the devs:

Comment

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
            Interview with one of the devs:
            The comment about Spectres was...thought-provoking. "People who died in nasty ways but haven't been able to (Transcend/transcend it?), for some reason, they're stuck in the shape of a Spectre, which is basically a representation of how they died."

Perhaps they're taking some liberties, here?
            Last edited by Callishka; 06-15-2020, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Hmmm... I haven't watched the video yet, but from I can gather from your comment... he is kinda correct. What he is thinking of is a Mortright- Spectres who immediately become as such due to how horrific their deaths were and how much Angst was generated at once to accomplish turning a perspective Wraith to an all-out Spectre outright. Though Mortrights are rare however and were only ever prevalent during WWI and WWII if I remember correctly. However Spectre "society" operates in a loose hierarchy and the Mortrights are the on the lowest totem pole because they never had a Shadow to goad them into Oblivion naturally. I'll watch the video and add onto this post about my thoughts about it.

Jade Kingdom Warrior

Comment

Originally posted by Shakanaka View Post
                Hmmm... I haven't watched the video yet, but from I can gather from your comment... he is kinda correct. What he is thinking of is a Mortright
                I too thought of Mortwights, but the concept doesn't map neatly onto what that dev said.

On the other hand, he may have been simplifying Mortwights in an off-the-cusp manner. Or the devs are using some new "caste" or interpretation of Spectres to better fit their game.

(This is off-topic, but FWIR, Mortwights were rare before the World Wars but their numbers are increasing to the point where they may soon make a move to become an important caste)

Comment

I'd always assume that (if Wraith wasn't gutted early and had more supplements/continuities for it) that the Mortrights would take their rightful place as top of the hierarchy in the "Armies of Oblivion". They unlike their other peers were never follied with goading their respective Psyche to the path of being a Spectre- instead from the get go they were assumed by Oblivion. The only reason why they were so low because I always assumed/homebrewed it that the Nephwracks and Onceborn didn't want the statuses they worked for centuries to be shook- especially after the years of surviving with the cusp of Oblivion but still getting far enough to get where they are, so they politically engineered Mortrights to be in such a low status.

Jade Kingdom Warrior

Comment

Working...
                  X