Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a soulforge be undone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can a soulforge be undone?

    I'm going to feel really silly if it turns out this has an easily found answer, but is it possible to undo a soulforged object and release the wraith inside?

  • #3
    Originally posted by kalinara View Post
    I'm going to feel really silly if it turns out this has an easily found answer, but is it possible to undo a soulforged object and release the wraith inside?
    Nope. Closest thing to it is the 5-dot initiate Inhabit Art, Compel the Soulsteel. It permits getting the answer to one question per success from a soulforged victim. It's a single-use power. Once a victim has answered, they are silent forever more.

    The rules are dramatically vague on whether the Art relies on some residue of memory leaking out, or whether the victims are actually awake.
    Last edited by Callishka; 07-14-2020, 12:09 PM.

    Comment


    • #4
      I'd imagine if one allows for crossover games there's very little that can't be undone by the application of the Spirit, Mind, Entropy, and/or Time spheres at sufficiently high levels.

      Comment


      • #5
        Originally posted by Matt the Bruins fan View Post
        I'd imagine if one allows for crossover games there's very little that can't be undone by the application of the Spirit, Mind, Entropy, and/or Time spheres at sufficiently high levels.
        We'd be looking at archmastery levels, though. Maybe.
        It isn't as bad as Oblivion, but it has been close.


        Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

        Comment


        • #6
          Originally posted by FallenEco View Post

          We'd be looking at archmastery levels, though. Maybe.
          It isn't as bad as Oblivion, but it has been close.
          ^This.

          Way how I see it, if a mage starts dipping into Effects that involve significantly altering the metaphysics of an Otherworld, spheres got to be at rating 5.

          Comment


          • #7
            Thank you! I had one other question: can a soulforged item be destroyed? And if so, what happens to the Wraith? (I'm assuming it's destroyed too, but would it be like instant oblivion?)

            Comment


            • #8
              Best case scenario, a very lenient storyteller might let Spirit 4 alone do the trick (applying the reverse of the effect normally used to bind spirits into objects). I think it likely that you'd also at least need Mind 4 (to restore a permanently suppressed consciousness to full alertness), maybe Mind 5 and some amount of Time (to rebuild a destroyed consciousness from the ground up).

              Comment


              • #9
                And I would probably go ahead and make it a Vulgar Effect since, again, you're doing something that goes against the metaphysics/Consensus of the Underworld, and to at least provide a answer to the question of "why isn't every single wraith ever bugging archmasters to reverse their Circlemates from soul-forged form?"

                Comment


                • #10
                  Originally posted by kalinara View Post
                  Thank you! I had one other question: can a soulforged item be destroyed? And if so, what happens to the Wraith? (I'm assuming it's destroyed too, but would it be like instant oblivion?)
                  The short answer is yes, soulforged items can be destroyed, at which case the unfortunate soul is definitely gone. There are sections in the books speaking about Spectre Oblivion Cults that capture the Restless, and relics, soulforged goods and anything else not nailed down, and throw them into Oblivion, thus strengthening it (well, they say 'sacrifice', sounds more ominous than 'throwing them in...')
                  Neat thread, by the way, don't apologise for 'silly questions' because they get us thinking.

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    Originally posted by BogganKnight View Post
                    Neat thread, by the way, don't apologise for 'silly questions' because they get us thinking.
                    Silly questions give us excuses to rifle through our Mnemoi memory palaces and leaf through our rule books! Favorite pastime of the W:tO lover

                    Comment


                    • #12
                      Thanks so much! I've never gotten to play Wraith (I've always wanted to!) and this is all new to me.

                      Comment


                      • #14
                        Originally posted by kalinara View Post
                        Thanks so much! I've never gotten to play Wraith (I've always wanted to!) and this is all new to me.
                        Originally posted by AkatsukiLeader13 View Post

                        Such is the words of many a Wraith fan sadly.
                        *loud coughing*

                        http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/g...-pbp-chronicle

                        Comment


                        • #15
                          Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
                          Tasti's game is great. Check it out!

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X