Wraith and Amkhat interaction question: Stolen memories

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wraith and Amkhat interaction question: Stolen memories

Hi, the game Im currently running is not really a wraith game, but I do enjoy wraith and it's lore, so I mostly try to use the official lore and rules for it as long as it doesn't get in the way of the game.

Recently I've been thinking about using the amkhat as enemies in my chronicle. But my plan is to use only the amkhats, not the whole mummy game. Im considering amkhat exists solely as some kind of hedge sorcerers, nothing related to mummies.

Amkhat have the power to gain attributtes from the bodies they ritualistic eat. Certain parts give certain attributes, but only for limited time in the mummy game (I belive it's one year and a day), they steal the attributes directly from the deceased spirit. However they don't steal only attributes, if they eat the body eyes, thye can steal it's memories, or at least some of it.

Now Im wondering. What would happen in a WtA game if a amkhat eat the body of a wraith? What would happen if the amkhat steal the memory of a wraith this way?

How would the wraith know what happend? How much time it could take to discover? How would you use it in your games? Not many wraith do care a lot about their bodies. Also, which effect might happen on the amkhat, since he has a piece of the wraith spirit, do it also take a piece of it's shadow?

Since you're trying to position the Amkhat as antagonists, I'd make their power literally steal the knowledge of the wraiths whose bodies they consume, making it inaccessible for the wraith. With an NPC victim, I'd simple say they cannot access or lose a stolen characteristic. For instance, becoming inept in something they knew how to do, or weaker, or less intelligent.

I wouldn't do this to a player, though. Aside from the very grievous act of possibly destroying a wraith's Fetter (the body), which could lead to a very bad Harrowing, I'd give a player victim of a Amkhat a +2 difficulty to use a stolen Attribute or Ability. Or ask for a Willpower roll to use them.
    If the stolen memory related to a PC wraith's Passions I'd also disrupt it somehow, perhaps translating the stolen memory of the Passion as an increased difficulty in regaining Pathos from that Passion.

I'd also give the Amkhat who devoured the wraith's body as one dot Fetter for free to the wraith, as long as access to the stolen characteristic is active.

Comment

Originally posted by valismedsen View Post
      Since you're trying to position the Amkhat as antagonists, I'd make their power literally steal the knowledge of the wraiths whose bodies they consume, making it inaccessible for the wraith. With an NPC victim, I'd simple say they cannot access or lose a stolen characteristic. For instance, becoming inept in something they knew how to do, or weaker, or less intelligent.

I wouldn't do this to a player, though. Aside from the very grievous act of possibly destroying a wraith's Fetter (the body), which could lead to a very bad Harrowing, I'd give a player victim of a Amkhat a +2 difficulty to use a stolen Attribute or Ability. Or ask for a Willpower roll to use them.
      If the stolen memory related to a PC wraith's Passions I'd also disrupt it somehow, perhaps translating the stolen memory of the Passion as an increased difficulty in regaining Pathos from that Passion.

I'd also give the Amkhat who devoured the wraith's body as one dot Fetter for free to the wraith, as long as access to the stolen characteristic is active.
      The amkhat cannot steal skills this way, only memories. But yeah, only npc wraiths will be affected by this.

Im wondering thought, would a wraith realize the amkhat is now a fetter? Would it need certai arcanoi to do so? Can a Wraith without lifeweb understand what happend?

Comment

Well, if it only applies to NPCs, I think you should go with whatever fits the narrative better. If for whatever reason the destruction of a wraith's body did not alert them to the amkhat's action and allowed them to realize the new Fetter connection, through direct interaction for instance, a wraith could still use Sense Life to perceive it. If not in the presence of the amkhat, then maybe an Eidolon roll. The Shadow could tell. There are many ways the new Fetter could be discovered. I'd just let the wraith know it. If you want to establish a universal rule that would also include hypothetical wraith PCs, then I feel that allowing wraiths to have a connection to the amkhat that is hindering them in some way is only fair. Specially if you assume heavy penalties to accessing stolen knowledge.

Comment

Working...
        X