Question about Wraith in a mundane sense

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Wraith in a mundane sense

By mundane I mean: what do they write with and on what? I know that relics are hard to come by but how would they post up wanted ads or letters or whatnot, if at all? Would everything be done word of mouth only or do the have some other means?

Lost Tribes Gaming:
    Cyberpunk 2020 Phoenix:1st and 3rd Saturdays of the month 6pm to 9pm AZ time (-7GMT)
    http://www.twitch.tv/losttribesgaming.

I think there may be more Relics than you think of. Besides interred or destroyed goods, the books mention that Wraiths can winnow relics from left over detritus from Tempests, and can find relics from the sea that wash up on seashores and such. (I can't remember where I read it, but I think everything ever lost at sea ends up in the Underworld.) There seems to be enough of this that it provides enough jobs and goods for a functioning economy. At the very least, the large number of lost pens and pencils probably provides the Underworld with a certain amount.

And of course there are soulforged goods, but that's probably too valuable a resource to be used for making paper. But for very important carved stones and such for important and ongoing information that is always the same? Probably.

And I think there are EXTREMELY rare "natural resources" in the form of plasmic creatures and plasmic plants that can be harvested and turned into appropriate goods. The Legion of Fate occupies the Isle of Eurydice which contains "trees", and there are "reeds" in the River Styx. Both are harvested to make paper for Stygia. This is actually stated in The Legions book, and I think some other sourcebooks as well.

I imagine that the amount of available written material would be close to the classifical world - there are libraries for the elite (not the masses) and enough scrolls to perform administrative tasks, but a lot gets reused. Most news is probably distributed on paper to a town crier who reads it off to the rest of the community. So only one scroll is needed as opposed to how many.

And you can use Moliate to turn people into temporary billboards and news notices and such.

Comment

awesome thanks

Lost Tribes Gaming:
      Cyberpunk 2020 Phoenix:1st and 3rd Saturdays of the month 6pm to 9pm AZ time (-7GMT)

Comment

I seem to remember the are reeds growing on the banks of the River of Death near Stygia, or perhaps on the Legion of Fate's island, which they use to produce papyrus that is used throughout the Empire. I think this is mentioned of the Guidebook: Oracles. Ink is made of either liquefied Corpus (with Moliate) or I seem to recall a process involving distilled Angst, but this one I'm not as sure.

Comment

I second what everyone else says. In addition, wraiths have witnesses and notaries who record transactions, as written here:

"Wraiths who can do so like to seek out a witness, either one with some means of recording key information or trained in the arts of accurate recall practiced in writing-poor societies...Many Necropoli have a city hall or some equivalent building, and most have some kind of officially recognized marketplace or agora where wraiths can gather outdoors. Would-be witnesses come there, demonstrate their skills, and hope for the fees and prestige that come from plying their trade." (Wr20 p.45)

Something tells me Usurers would be the most likely to keep records, whether on paper or not, since they arose at the dawn of writing and had great record halls, some of which were destroyed post-Coup.

I would make relic paper rare, artifact paper somewhat less rare due to the prevalence of plasmic parchment, but as expensive as vellum and other animal papers are today. (And I mean actual animal paper, not the modern plant-based "vellum" people use for crafts. 4 square feet of real calfskin vellum costs around $300!) So it's out there, but you're either lucky if you find it, moneyed, connected, willing to steal, or you reused some old paper.

Comment

I have this image in my head of some wraith running through the Necropolis screaming "ghost paper is made of people!"

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
            Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

OMG I need to introduce that into my game just to screw with the vampire who is having to deal with it. Watch her mind get blown

Lost Tribes Gaming:

Comment

I'm picturing some sort of stationary/paper mill run by a circle of Masquers and Alchemists who hunt plasmics and relics for paper. They could be implicated in a Transcendence movement through pamphlets printed on their fine paper products!

Edit: so much alliteration...

Comment

The books mention stationery is expensive and rare, most resulting from things like fires at warehouses and the like. It’s brutal to moliate souls into leather for scrolls or soulsmithing them into plates for engravings. The Dark Kingdom of Jade gets around this by moliating wraiths into lobotomized slaves called Eunuchs which are docile armless walking repositories of information. They have levers formed in their openable chests and you can design them to remember specific pieces of information they can recite on demand.

Comment

In my Chronicle, I just assume the Hierarchy is well-organized enough to operate business on the other side of the Shroud. Thus pallets full of sealed reams of paper are bundled up into one thing, which is then claimed by an Artificer and obliviated by Spook, creating a pallet of relic paper. Of course, Spooks who can pull off Obiviation are pretty rare and the Hierarchy's bureaucracy consuming need for paper means its pretty hard to find paper goods on the open market.

Comment

Originally posted by Gailbraithe View Post
                      In my Chronicle, I just assume the Hierarchy is well-organized enough to operate business on the other side of the Shroud. Thus pallets full of sealed reams of paper are bundled up into one thing, which is then claimed by an Artificer and obliviated by Spook, creating a pallet of relic paper. Of course, Spooks who can pull off Obiviation are pretty rare and the Hierarchy's bureaucracy consuming need for paper means its pretty hard to find paper goods on the open market.
                      That seems like it would be kind of black ops because actually harvesting from the other side of the shroud is against the Dictum Mortem that Charon enforced. Hence why they went through major struggles in the books to explain they got relics through chance and major accidents. Does your games Hierarchy just look the other way because paper is essential and it can be acquired with minimal effort and secrecy needed? Or do they do similar things with other resources?

Comment

in general, you as the ST need to decide how much stuff, Raw resources are available in your game, is it a place of bleak existence where every single relic is of extreme value, because of how rare it is, or is there enough to keep things going but no where near what the skin-lands have.

I go somewhere in between, and it depends on the Necropolis's size, a much larger city may have multiple circles that hunt for Relics, Plasmatics, Death Reeds or what have you. The Guild of the Usury, and the Legion of Fate, have a strangle hold the paper trade, with help from the Alchemist.

how desolate and barren do you want your landscape to be, as a general rule of thumb, everything is rare and valuable. no commodity of goods just laying around.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                          That seems like it would be kind of black ops because actually harvesting from the other side of the shroud is against the Dictum Mortem that Charon enforced. Hence why they went through major struggles in the books to explain they got relics through chance and major accidents. Does your games Hierarchy just look the other way because paper is essential and it can be acquired with minimal effort and secrecy needed? Or do they do similar things with other resources?
                          Well, its the Hierarchy that's doing it. In my chronicle the Hierarchy is very much "Do as we say, not as we do." They violate the Dictum all the time. One of the things my players are slowly coming to realize is that everyone is on the take somehow, and that the corruption is so widespread that its simply the norm.

Comment

Working...
                          X