Ferrymen and the Dictum Mortuum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ferrymen and the Dictum Mortuum

Being very much laws unto themselves do Ferrymen abide by the Dictum Mortuum?

I had a conscience once. Alas, I appear to have misplaced it.

I imagine the Dictum Mortuum is written in such a way that acknowledges their special status and how they typically act. So what they do is probably always legal absent extremely unusual circumstances. A legal code pretty much needs to account for everyone who may impact the sovereign domain so I think the Dictum Moruum must apply to them, but maybe not in the same ways it does to freewraiths and thralls. I imagine there may be a separate legal system to account for anything they do, much like how in Medieval Europe the clergy had their own courts separate from the normal royal courts.

Comment

Black Fox's answer makes a lot of sense. On the other hand, aren't Ferrymen outlawed since the aftermath of the GM1? If so, would the Dictum carve out freedoms for them, or simply ignore them?

For context, after Charon declares himself an emperor, some Ferrymen rebel and refuse to ferry souls in protest: "Charon retaliated by banishing them from the Isle of Sorrows and stripping them of their claims and awards. He decreed that their names be stricken from all records. He felt that if they would not perform their duties, then they would be thrown out to fend for themselves alone. Some joined the Renegades, who had always refused Charon’s leadership, some left for the Far Shores; many, sadly having lost their purpose, surrendered to Oblivion." (32)
      Last edited by Callishka; 10-29-2020, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Ferrymen are basically above the machinations of the Hierarchy completely. They definitely don't abide by the Dictum Mortuum. Even then they rarely go in the Shadowlands anyway since their main activities are purely in the Underworld only.
        Last edited by Shakanaka; 10-30-2020, 02:02 PM.

Jade Kingdom Warrior

Comment

Originally posted by Shakanaka View Post
          Ferrymen are basically above the machinations of the Hierarchy completely. They definitely don't abide by the Dictum Mortuum. Even then they rarely go in the Shadowlands anyway since their main activities are purely in the Underworld only.
          That was the way I was leaning.
          I assumed if they absolutely had to reach across the Shroud for whatever reason they would; to hell with the Dictum Mortuum.

I had a conscience once. Alas, I appear to have misplaced it.

Comment

Working...
          X