X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tegyrius
    started a topic Necropolis: Piper Omega

Necropolis: Piper Omega

I was poking around the labyrinth of my files the other day and realized I had a few necropoli that I'd never used for anything. I figured the Halloween season would be an appropriate time to share them with the three of you who still read this forum.

Enjoy.

- C.

Piper Omega

Sailors have always taken music to the sea and brought it back from their travels. Ashore, countless songs memorialize those mariners who the ocean has claimed. But no songs were written for the Piper Alpha oil production platform when it ignited the North Sea in 1988, claiming 167 lives to become the world's deadliest offshore petroleum disaster.

Piper Alpha's charred, twisted remains manifested in the Tempest within days. It became a familiar landmark to wraiths putting out from Aberdeen and Bergen, but an ill omen. Ghost ships sailing too close to the platform came under Spectre assault or encountered choking black clouds spitting forth burning rain. Scottish and Norwegian authorities launched several missions to cleanse the site, finally succeeding with Swedish Doomslayer aid in 1994. The Emerald Legion installed a caretaker garrison to ensure the site didn't become re-infested, whereupon everyone promptly forgot about the problem. The Oslo necromancer incursion of 1998 forced the Legion to recall its troops, after which Piper Alpha lay vacant.

In 2000, Copenhagen Hierarchs exiled goth-rock Chanteur Ragnhild Vinter and her Circle for fomenting anti-Imperial sentiment. The Renegades responded by stealing an Anacreon's yacht and fleeing into the North Sea, intent on establishing a pirate radio station through which they could continue screaming defiance. Unfortunately, none were sailors, and they headed straight into the teeth of a savage winter Maelstrom. Fortunately, the wind drove them into Piper Alpha before accumulated blood ice capsized their vessel. Finding the platform deserted yet still sufficiently solid to offer shelter, they claimed it as their own and put out the call for like-minded wraiths.

Today, the rechristened Piper Omega is a haven for several hundred Renegade performers and counter-culture Chanteurs and Masquers from across Scandinavia and the United Kingdom. Vinter's troupe, Gaslight Ritual, runs the makeshift citadel as a commune and performance venue. Residents earn space through Renegade cred or Guild vouchsafing, but they keep it through performance. Monthly on the night of the new moon, the platform lowers its boarding ladders for any wraith brave enough to make the journey and pay the admission fee for a live variety show unlike any other. The main stage stands exposed and flame-lit under the ever-burning gas flare, now fueled on Pathos distilled from Piper Alpha memorials. Between performances, a Rube Goldberg assembly of broadcast equipment fulfills Vinter's dream of pirate radio broadcasts, reaching relic receivers across northwest Europe with an eclectic mix of entertainment and agitprop.

Piper Omega still stands above the North Sea where its Skinlands prototype went down. Around its legs rests a patchwork accrual of ghost vessels. The largest are semi-permanent components of the Citadel, moored by soulsteel chains. A few small, swift boats are armed for self-defense (or piracy; no one looks closely). Residents are largely self-policing under a well-armed version of Wheaton's Law, frequent creative differences notwithstanding.

Notable residents include The Voice of the Flame (Renegade Alchemists who run the radio station and keep the platform intact), Näkki (the Finnish Underworld's premiere shamanic punk band), the infamous ex-Legion of Fate political strategist-turned-information broker known as Icebreaker, and smuggler and arms dealer Søren Amundsen. Ragnhild Vinter herself still heads Gaslight Ritual, which makes her the commune's de facto leader, though she eschews formal titles. Gaslight Ritual fell away from performing several years ago as the demands of administering the Necropolis grew; lately, they've been trying to spread the load among Voice of the Flame and other affiliated groups. Rumor has it that they may soon return to the stage alongside up-and-coming maker/dance troupe Tolerance Stack, bringing forth a new work about which little is known beyond its title: Dance of the Broken-Winged Crane.

• No One of Consequence
    replied
    Originally posted by Tegyrius View Post
    Dead Can Dance Party? Yeah. One thing that I've always felt was a little hazily-defined in Wraith was... just what do wraiths do all day when they aren't out being PCs and violating the Dictum Mortuum?

- C.
    Wraith: Where Disco Never Died

Leave a comment:

• Tegyrius
    replied
    Dead Can Dance Party? Yeah. One thing that I've always felt was a little hazily-defined in Wraith was... just what do wraiths do all day when they aren't out being PCs and violating the Dictum Mortuum?

- C.

Leave a comment:

• No One of Consequence
    replied
    This one, if you'll pardon the terrible pun, rocks.

And much like the Route 66 one, it also reminds me of my long lament for the lack of a book about places Wraiths gather for social functions and mass parties. (Dance Halls of the Dead?)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X