Underwater Fetters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underwater Fetters

After many many years of having a vague interest in Wraith I've finally got the chance to run a game.
    One thing that I'm sure you wise people will know is, is there anything special about a fetter that falls into the sea, say the wraith died in a shipping accident?
    Assuming the physical item survives the trip is it accessible to the wraith? I know there's the sea in the shadowlands, but can wraiths walk along the sea bed, or would the fetter be out of reach, or appear in the tempest or something else weird?

The simple answer is that for most wraiths, the Fetter is inaccessible.

Per Blood-Dimmed Tides, for most wraiths, water is solid, though they can override this with a level of Corpus to let them go Incorporeal underwater for a number of turns equal to their Stamina. However, wraiths with the Drowned Merit can stay underwater for hours on end, and the Risen don't need air. (And it occurs that, well, a wraith could hop on a submarine or Skinride a diver.)

Also, the Lifeweb art Sense Strands lets a wraith know where their Fetters are, and extend their senses to a Fetter's location.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Originally posted by Brickman View Post
      After many many years of having a vague interest in Wraith I've finally got the chance to run a game.
      One thing that I'm sure you wise people will know is, is there anything special about a fetter that falls into the sea, say the wraith died in a shipping accident?
      Assuming the physical item survives the trip is it accessible to the wraith? I know there's the sea in the shadowlands, but can wraiths walk along the sea bed, or would the fetter be out of reach, or appear in the tempest or something else weird?

There's nothing particularly special about a Fetter that sinks to the bottom of the ocean, unless you and the player wants there to be. It will just be at the bottom of the ocean. It's not even a particularly big problem in many cases because dying in a shipping accident or having a shipwreck for a fetter are both excellent reasons to have the Drowned merit.

It would be a bigger barrier for a wraith without the drowned merit to subsequently have a fetter dropped in the ocean.

Fetters are always in the Skinlands, by the way. They don't cross over to the Underworld on their own and they definitely wouldn't appear in the Shadowlands or the Tempest unless brought there or destroyed.

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

Comment

Cool the idea of sunken fetters is super haunting.and makes sense consider all the people that died on the sea

Comment

Awesome thanks. I wasn't aware of Blood Dimmed Tides so that looks like something I should go and check out.
          Cheers!

Comment

Fun fact but the Titanic is a specter ship. The flagship of the oblivion fleet in fact.

Comment

I think I have seen that in an earlier thread here and oddly that's roughly what I'm hoping to run. A couple of new wraiths break free of their cauls on the Titanic shortly after it sinks and get to run around trying to work out what's going on while interacting with the various drones that have started popping up, along with other wraiths still in their cauls before finally running into a Spectre from their mutual lives.
              I was thinking of having a scene where they get back to the cabin of one of the pcs and might look through the shroud to see one of their fetters, but now if I've got it right that wouldn't work as the relic and the actual wreckage are in two different places. I might do it anyway as it's a one off game and it should be pretty atmospheric, but at least I'll know what I'm breaking to keep it consistent.

Comment

It's not often that something can be a fetter and have a relic at the same time. Usually the existence of a relic implies that the object was destroyed. I think a gigantic wreck is one of the few cases where it sounds reasonable. The Titanic is destroyed enough to justify having a relic, but solid enough to justify being a fetter.

Getting back to your idea, I'm not sure why you couldn't use your plan. It doesn't sound like relics are important, just fetters.
                Last edited by Ramnesis; 03-30-2021, 07:27 AM.

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

Comment

Working...
                X