Elysia in Wr20

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elysia in Wr20

Does anybody know why Elysia was removed from Phantasm in Wr20?
    It seems like the Sandmen were robbed of their signature ability.

I had a conscience once. Alas, I appear to have misplaced it.

*reads the 2e version*

...well my initial thought is that Elysia is confusingly written. The fluff description describes "removing the soul which the Sandman can carry with them" but the mechanical description talks about...making sure the target sleeps for X successes in scenes? Even then, I'm not sure of the mechanical benefits of doing so.

Wr20's Sleepsense at least grants you the ability to detect if a wraith is Slumbering inside a Fetter.
    Last edited by tasti man LH; 05-22-2021, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Elysia as written previously was a great concept that was never coherently executed. To be as cool as it sounds it would need to be a much higher rated effect, and as written at level 1 is kind of useless. There was this idea of moving mortal souls into dream theaters for the dead, but the rest of Phatasm just shape the mortals dreams directly, so it never really made sense.

HOWEVER, at my own table I brought it back as a level 5 Initiate power, and is the main way to bring a living person into the Underworld as a temporary wraith while their body sleeps.

This requires rewriting Harrow the Mortal Flesh (level 5 Embody Initiate effect). That one instead pulls a mortals’ body into the Shroud. The result is that they can physically affect and be affected by the skinlands and shadowlands both, instead of Elysia that results in a state immaterial to the Skinlands like a normal Wraith.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
        Elysia as written previously was a great concept that was never coherently executed. To be as cool as it sounds it would need to be a much higher rated effect, and as written at level 1 is kind of useless. There was this idea of moving mortal souls into dream theaters for the dead, but the rest of Phatasm just shape the mortals dreams directly, so it never really made sense.

HOWEVER, at my own table I brought it back as a level 5 Initiate power, and is the main way to bring a living person into the Underworld as a temporary wraith while their body sleeps.

This requires rewriting Harrow the Mortal Flesh (level 5 Embody Initiate effect). That one instead pulls a mortals’ body into the Shroud. The result is that they can physically affect and be affected by the skinlands and shadowlands both, instead of Elysia that results in a state immaterial to the Skinlands like a normal Wraith.
        Yeah, I was re-reading Guildbook: Sandmen and suddenly realised you can't actually do what they describe using Wr20's system.
        That's a good idea recreating it as an Initiate art. I think I'll probably do something similar, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post
          *reads the 2e version*

...well my initial thought is that Elysia is confusingly written. The fluff description describes "removing the soul which the Sandman can carry with them" but the mechanical description talks about...making sure the target sleeps for X successes in turns? Even then, I'm not sure of the mechanical benefits of doing so.

Wr20's Sleepsense at least grants you the ability to detect if a wraith is Slumbering inside a Fetter.
          Guildbook: Sandmen goes into far more detail regarding dream theatres using mortal's souls and such.
          I agree from a strictly core-only point of view, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Comment

Working...
          X