Recording damage in Wr20

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording damage in Wr20

I'm a little confused as to damage in Wraith 20 as it appears to contradict itself.

On p.294 it states "Lethal damage "upgrades" bashing damage as it is inflicted", but then goes onto say "When a wraith suffers damage, unmarked Corpus level boxes are always filled up before any marked ones would be "upgraded" to a more severe type."

So which one is it? Does lethal damage upgrade bashing as it's inflicted, or only after there are no more boxes left?
    Last edited by Andreas Rayne; 05-22-2021, 04:06 PM.

I had a conscience once. Alas, I appear to have misplaced it.

There's a case to be made for either method. If you want to run it the same way as the rest of the WoD then lethal fills in empty boxes first. Given the nature of Corpus, though, I would go with Lethal upgrading Bashing damage as it is inflicted. Damage just doesn't affect Wraiths the same way it affects everyone else.

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

Comment

Oh, wow, yeah. That's confusing. I'd just use the "empty boxes fill first before upgrading" because my brain likes consistent rules, and page 293 goes to some lengths to explain that ghosts "remember" damage types and the associated pain from their living days, suggesting that damage works just about how it did while alive.

Comment

Wraiths remember the pain, but they don't feel it the same way. That's why they don't have wound penalties and use Corpus like a resources. That's also why (though this comes from the artwork, not the rules) they can experience extreme dismemberment without dropping).

Mechanically and narratively the damage is different too. For fleshy creatures every filled box increases wound penalties and brings them one step closer to Incapacitated or Dead. For Wraiths, though, every filled box removes resources and brings them one step closer to Harrowing. The consequences, both in character and out of character, are very different.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramnesis View Post
          There's a case to be made for either method. If you want to run it the same way as the rest of the WoD then lethal fills in empty boxes first. Given the nature of Corpus, though, I would go with Lethal upgrading Bashing damage as it is inflicted. Damage just doesn't affect Wraiths the same way it affects everyone else.
          Thanks, Ramnesis.
          Yeah, I think I'm going to go with your suggestion of Lethal upgrading Bashing as it is inflicted and not moving it "down the queue" as it does in the rest of the WoD. I think it helps highlight the fact that Wraiths are just tough SOBs to put down.
          I'm assuming Aggravated does indeed shunt other damage types as usual, though.

I had a conscience once. Alas, I appear to have misplaced it.

Comment

Originally posted by Andreas Rayne View Post
            Thanks, Ramnesis.
            Yeah, I think I'm going to go with your suggestion of Lethal upgrading Bashing as it is inflicted and not moving it "down the queue" as it does in the rest of the WoD. I think it helps highlight the fact that Wraiths are just tough SOBs to put down.
            I'm assuming Aggravated does indeed shunt other damage types as usual, though.
            I would say so, yes. It makes the bookkeeping harder but it makes sense both in the lore and mechanically.

Comment

Working...
            X