Wraith20 Cheat Sheet for STs and Players

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wraith20 Cheat Sheet for STs and Players

I put together this cheat sheet after growing tired of continually having to look up mechanics in three or four different sections of a giant book. You won't find combat charts in here; just pure, 100% ghostly mechanics. I'll add a page with stuff like Harrowing and Catharsis info, maybe some other things.

Anything you'd like to see added?

Newer version: http://proxemics.net/wraith/Wraith20STScreen3.4.pdf
    Word Doc: http://proxemics.net/wraith/Wraith20STScreen.docx
    Last edited by Callishka; 07-15-2021, 01:20 PM.

I updated it to add Shadow things.

Comment

Excellent! Congratulation on the work and many thanks for this! Especially like the icons. are they original?

If I might make a suggestion, Underworld Travel rules would fit nicely in there.

Comment

Originally posted by valismedsen View Post
        Excellent! Congratulation on the work and many thanks for this! Especially like the icons. are they original?

If I might make a suggestion, Underworld Travel rules would fit nicely in there.
        No, I used the icons available in Word, lol. I'd like to design some icons at one point, but I just needed this thing done and designing stuff is a great way for me never to finish the cheat sheet.

Ooo, nice suggestion. And you mean the Tempest traveling stuff?

Comment

A few suggestions:

The "rule of excuse me" section is slightly unclear that the Wraith is the one stepping aside.

Also there are two other methods wraiths can enter a Destruction Harrowing. They can take Aggravated Damage while wavering and they can lose their last Corpus level to Aggravated Damage.

The rules for how long you can stay in the Shadowlands without Fetters would be helpful, though only relevant in specific games.

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

Comment

Originally posted by Ramnesis View Post
            The "rule of excuse me" section is slightly unclear that the Wraith is the one stepping aside.
            I submit that the original text is equally unclear, but that interpreting it either way has the same results. The problem is the ambiguous nouns and pronouns used.

The original text says,

"If the wraith comes in contact with something in the Skinlands, but a living person could simply have briefly stepped to the side and avoided them with a simple, “excuse me,” then it doesn’t qualify for triggering the Incorporeal state. Thus, a wraith won’t necessarily become Incorporeal just for casually brushing past a mortal on a wide-open street with plenty of space, but he will on a crowded subway where there isn’t any space for the Quick, let alone the dead."

"Something" here seems to only mean living people, since a human would only say "excuse me" to a human (though I suppose a cat would also avoid contact with someone, so let's say it means "living beings"). I'd interpret it generously to even include inanimate things, since in real life, we sometimes avoid bumping into things with a quick side step, even if we wouldn't say "excuse me" to a metal pole. (I won't get distracted thinking about the spirits of poles...)

Real question is, what does "them" refer to? Seems like it could either mean the wraith or the living person. Either way, one of the two could step aside and say excuse me, collision avoided. I believe the intent here is to picture the way humans in crowds navigate carefully around each other when they can see each other. A living person cannot see the wraith, but if both could see one another, one of them could step aside with an excuse me and avoid collision for both of them.

I'd love to be persuaded that it matters whether it is the wraith stepping aside or the Quick. The way I read it, what's important is that when it's so crowded that even the living could not avoid collision were they to try and push through a crush of people, the wraith cannot invoke "Excuse me"; they must spend the Corpus.

Here's a possible solution. What if I change my text to: "But if the collision could have been avoided by stepping aside with an “excuse me,” the wraith stays Corporeal." In this case, I use the passive voice so that the reader fills in who is the one stepping aside. What do you think?

Also there are two other methods wraiths can enter a Destruction Harrowing. They can take Aggravated Damage while wavering and they can lose their last Corpus level to Aggravated Damage.
            I added the part about taking Agg while wavering. Thanks. I knew that one from the sections on states of being and aggravated damage, but the Harrowing section doesn't actually mention it, which tricked me.

Now, that other point about going into a Destruction Harrowing when losing their last Corpus level to Aggravated Damage, that one I had forgotten. But now, I'm stuck. I can certainly add those, but how do we handle success results? The Destruction Harrowing section only gives success results for when you're losing your last Passion dot, or when you're reduced to 0 permanent Corpus. Both these success results don't apply to the two circumstances under question.

I went with "Success? Return to Fetter, Haunt, or safe spot and recover Stamina rating in Corpus." This result is almost identical to what happens when you succeed after as Targeted Harrowing involving losing all temp Corpus or taking Lethal while Wavering.

But that brings me to another point of confusion...

In the Targeted Harrowings section, they spell out the success results for losing one's last WP, which is:

"She has the option of snapping back to a Fetter (preferably the Quarry) or Haunt, or to a safe spot near where she was originally pulled down into the Harrowing. She also keeps her last Willpower point, and adds an additional number equal to her Intelligence rating."

But then for the other Targeted Harrowings, the text simply says "success has the same result as a success in a Willpower Harrowing..." or "the system is handled the same away...". I assume that means that whether it's a Harrowing for WP, Passion, or Fetter, you get the same success results: snapping back to safety, plus gaining Intelligence rating in WP. Does that sound right?

Confusingly, the Targeted Harrowing for losing all temp Corpus or taking Lethal while Wavering says "Again, success allows the wraith to escape back to a Fetter or Haunt, or to return to a spot near where she was originally Harrowed, and recover as many points of temporary Corpus as she has dots in Stamina." This is the only Targeted Harrowing that seems to exclude recovering WP as part of the rewards. I consider this to be an oversight, and that it's simply easier and tidier to assume you recover WP in all these Targeted cases. (Do you agree?) But then if that's so, then what do we do about rewards for losing their last Corpus level to Aggravated Damage? Do you get your Stamina in Corpus AND your Int in WP? Or just the Stamina reward?

At this point, I think it's a matter of personal interpretation. I'm inclined to leave it as a Stamina/Corpus reward and not involve WP recovery. Thoughts?

The rules for how long you can stay in the Shadowlands without Fetters would be helpful, though only relevant in specific games.
            I will add this next--great idea.

Here is my latest version: (see OP) Let me know what yall think. I also slightly altered the text on Incorporeality to better indicate to newer players that voluntarily passing through walls is a thing. And yikes, I just realized my Barrowflame part was TOTALLY WRONG. I had copied a chart from Maelstrom damage and forgot to change the contents. No wonder it wasn't making sense when I looked at that chart.
            Last edited by Callishka; 07-15-2021, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Callishka View Post
              I submit that the original text is equally unclear, but that interpreting it either way has the same results. The problem is the ambiguous nouns and pronouns used.
              I'd love to be persuaded that it matters whether it is the wraith stepping aside or the Quick. The way I read it, what's important is that when it's so crowded that even the living could not avoid collision were they to try and push through a crush of people, the wraith cannot invoke "Excuse me"; they must spend the Corpus.
              I agree the original wording is not great at depicting what is going on. I do think it matters whether it is the Quick or the Dead stepping aside, at least in terms of story.

If we say it is the Quick, that implies that a significant number of people have some kind of intuitive awareness of ghosts around them. I'm not sure I accept that, especially on a crowded city street in the afternoon. If we say it is the Dead, that implies that Wraiths are as active in getting out of the way of people or other things as your typical person in a crowd. I think that's a reasonable assumption.

So my preferred interpretation is this: picture a potential collision with an obstacle or oblivious person. If we wouldn't make a living person in that position roll to avoid the collision we can assume a wraith will be able to avoid it as well. They may have to brush by or enter the personal space of someone (hence the 'excuse me' from the living dodger), but they don't have to go incorporeal.

Now, that other point about going into a Destruction Harrowing when losing their last Corpus level to Aggravated Damage, that one I had forgotten. But now, I'm stuck. I can certainly add those, but how do we handle success results? The Destruction Harrowing section only gives success results for when you're losing your last Passion dot, or when you're reduced to 0 permanent Corpus. Both these success results don't apply to the two circumstances under question.

I went with "Success? Return to Fetter, Haunt, or safe spot and recover Stamina rating in Corpus." This result is almost identical to what happens when you succeed after as Targeted Harrowing involving losing all temp Corpus or taking Lethal while Wavering.
              I think that's the best solution. The rules for recorporealizing after a Destruction Harrowing are not so different from those of a Targetted Harrowing that there should be a significant difference.

Regarding Willpower gain after a Harrowing, I can see it either way, but I think the Willpower Targetted Harrowing has a clue as to what is going on. Even on a failure the Wraith regains their Intelligence in Willpower. I think we can (and in the case a full corpus track of lethal or aggrivated damage, must) extend this same consideration to the Corpus gained in the Self Targetted Harrowing. The alternative is successive Harrowings and the book recommends against that.

Given that, I think there are three reasonable interpretations:

1) Successful Harrowings let the Wraith keep the Quarry and snap back to safety. Unsuccessful ones mean the Quarry is gone and the Wraith is dumped into the Tempest. The Willpower and Corpus regains are safety nets for Wraiths who are completely out of either resource and they happen regardless of success or failure.

2) Successful Passion or Fetter Targetted Harrowings give back Willpower. Successful Corpus Targetted Harrowings give back Corpus. As an additional safety net, even failed Harrowings give back Willpower and Corpus if either pool is empty.

3) All Harrowings give back Willpower as a reward for success. As a safety net they also give back Willpower or Corpus if either pool is empty, regardless of success or failure.

I think the first and third make the most sense, but the second is truest to what is written.

Comment

So my preferred interpretation is this: picture a potential collision with an obstacle or oblivious person. If we wouldn't make a living person in that position roll to avoid the collision we can assume a wraith will be able to avoid it as well. They may have to brush by or enter the personal space of someone (hence the 'excuse me' from the living dodger), but they don't have to go incorporeal.

Given that, I think there are three reasonable interpretations:

I think the first and third make the most sense, but the second is truest to what is written.
                Great ideas. I still need to consider that and incorporate it into my cheat sheet, but in the meantime I extended it with some other requested features: (See OP)
                Last edited by Callishka; 07-15-2021, 01:21 PM.

Comment

OK folks, I'm done working on this cheat sheet for a few days, at least. I may add more stuff later. Ramnesis, I decided not to mess with the Rule of Excuse Me any further, as I think the rule is intended as a hypothetical and not meant to suggest that either the living or the dead are actually stepping aside, but rather that under mundane circumstances, one of them would. I did tinker with the Targeted Harrowing box a little. You're free to alter the text as you see fit, as I'm dropping a link to the Word document itself.
                  Caution: Word tables are a nightmare to format, so good luck getting the tables to display properly any better than I have. In fact, if anyone is a Word tables master, please help make it look purty.

Enjoy, and let me know if you can see something to change or if you use it and it's (un)helpful.

(See OP for links)

Comment

Just did a minor fix to the way tables were displaying. Now the spaces between them don't look as scuffed: (See OP)

Comment

Originally posted by Callishka View Post

No, I used the icons available in Word, lol. I'd like to design some icons at one point, but I just needed this thing done and designing stuff is a great way for me never to finish the cheat sheet.

Ooo, nice suggestion. And you mean the Tempest traveling stuff?
                      Yes! Sorry, I meant exactly that, travel through the Tempest, Labirynth, Far Shores, etc. How farther a Wraith can go, means to get there, travelling Byways, managing Maelstroms, etc. Just a suggestion, ofcourse.

Comment

I took your suggestion, it's the stuff on the last page 😎

Comment

Yeah, Word documents are a nightmare for tables.

I think you've still got the problem where on a failed Corpus Harrowing the Wraith is potentially ejected with zero Corpus, which would throw them right back into a Harrowing. I think you've enough room after "Fail? Lose 1 perm corpus but gain up to Stamina rating in Corpus..." That hopefully won't require resizing anything.

Comment

I think you've still got the problem where on a failed Corpus Harrowing the Wraith is potentially ejected with zero Corpus, which would throw them right back into a Harrowing.
                            Right, but isn't that rules as written? From p244:

"Failure results in the loss of one point of permanent Corpus. If a wraith loses her last point of permanent Corpus as a result of a temporary Corpus Harrowing, she immediately falls into a Destruction Harrowing (see below)."

Is that the part you're talking about? If so, the rules seem to allow for this successive harrowing. If not, please clarify.

Comment

No, I mean that often, the reason a wraith falls into a corpus targeted harrowing is because they lost all their corpus. If they don't heal at least some of that when they leave the harrowing they will fall right back into another corpus targeted harrowing. So a wraith with a full 10 permanent corpus and 10 lethal damage who fails the resultant harrowing becomes a wraith with 9 permanent corpus and 9 lethal damage. Without healing he'd fall directly into another harrowing and risk becoming a wraith with 8 permanent corpus and 8 lethal damage. Without healing he is trapped in successive targeted harrowings until they succeed.

It's the same thing a wraith who used all his willpower would face if he didn't get a willpower back even on a failure.

Comment

Working...
                              X