What could Mages do for Wraiths?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What could Mages do for Wraiths?

Hi. I'm not very familiar with Wraith but I have players in my Mage Chronicle who definitely will be dealing with "ghosts", so...

What could Mages do for Wraiths (to put them on their side), besides helping them resolve their unfinished business in the mortal world?

There are a couple of things:

-Help your Wraith ally get back past the Shroud, physically, with maybe a Matter, Spirit (or Entropy), Prime Effect, back into their bodies as Risen. This would mostly be done for the Wraiths who aren't really versed with the Puppetry Arcanoi; Wraiths who are allied with your Mage player could ask them for this favor (and in return, the Mage could definitely have a ready Risen ally at any given moment). This method might actually be safer than the Puppetry method, since a Wraith who has to do it by themselves won't need to negotiate with their Shadow for the process to succeed.

-Your Mage player could target the enemies of their Wraith ally; either by putting their enemies in permanent special containers they can't get out of. If your Mage player have either the Effects, enchanted weapons, or any technique that can reach across the Shroud, you can maybe do devastating attacks that can also send them into a Destruction Harrowing. That would put a stopgap to any troubling actors that could be messing with your Wraith ally.

-Your Mage player could make specially made enchanted items or weaponry, then destroy them so they can reach across the Shroud into the Shadowlands for the Wraith ally can use.

-Do Spirit or Entropic Effects that can heal a damaged Wraith. Say your Wraith ally is a Knight of somesort and came back recently from hunting Spectres. He's heavily damaged, oozing corpus residue and seems just about to go into a Destruction Harrowing. A spirit paradigm-based Mage could heal them by doing some candle lightings, putting up some incense, blessing water and dousing the area where the ghost is standing in, etc.

Jade Kingdom Warrior

Comment

I think you can divide what Wraiths want into a few specific categories. Things they want because of who they are, things they want because of what they are, and things they want because of where they are.

- Things they want because of what they are are relatively common wraith-specific issues. Wraiths crave emotion, they a clawed at by Oblivion, they are tormented by their alter-egos, and they desperately cling to their passions and fetters.

It is going to be a very specific Mage who can help counter the pull of Oblivion, but helping a wraith with her Passions and Fetters or helping her feel is more reasonable. Healing also falls under this category, but in most cases feeding a wraith pathos is just as effective. Just remember, the Mage is a potential source of Pathos to, so a hungry wraith might easily start manipulating him into the right conditions to feed.

- By things they want because of who they are I mean human issues that the wraith would engage in if they were still alive. Protecting and communicating with friends and family, being dicks to their enemies, that sort of thing.

There's a lot a Mage can do here, but the single biggest thing is just having someone semi-reliable to talk with on the other side. Beyond that, anything a Mage can do to help a regular person is potentially something he can do to help a wraith.

- Finally, things they want because of where they are include problems they have because of the Underworld. These can range from problems with local hierarchs or renegades to avoiding a maelstrom.

Unsurprisingly the most useful solution to problems with where you are is to not be there (or have something else not be there) so the most versatile thing a Mage can do to help with these issues (if they can manage it) is pull a wraith or spectre into the living world.

There's one other thing I can think of that a Mage can do that isn't in a single category. They can make sure a Wraith is remembered. Legacy and Memoriam can be useful things for a wraith.

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

Comment

In addition to what the others have written, and generally helping the wraith with its fetters and passions, a powerful enough mage could bring the wraith back to life.

Comment

You might also want to look at the Revised Euthanatos Tradition Book: first, it has some guidelines for how Magick can be used with respect to ghosts (i.e., Necromancy and related magic); and second, it has the Madzimbabwe, a faction that's based on ancestor veneration — which is about as pro-ghost a philosophy as you're ever going to find.

Comment

I'm loving all these suggestions. I can't think of anything to add, but I really like the ideas of helping a Wraith Rise without the associated drawbacks, and the ideas of warping reality to create Memoriam and a Legacy for a wraith to use as free resources.

Oh, here's an idea: Perhaps a Mage could alter how the wraith's Shadow works... pacifying it, splitting it off aka "Rite of Severance"...

Comment

Originally posted by Ramnesis View Post
              There's one other thing I can think of that a Mage can do that isn't in a single category. They can make sure a Wraith is remembered. Legacy and Memoriam can be useful things for a wraith.
              Awesome. A mage did just that recently. What effect would that have on a wraith?

Comment

In addition to absorbing the emotions of the living, Wraiths are also empowered by how much they are remembered. I'm not sure how much you want to go into the rules of Wraith but basically Legacy and Memoriam are backgrounds. Legacy represents the physical works left behind by the wraith (paintings, named buildings, park benches, etc) and helps them heal faster. Memoriam represents how many people remember the wraith (for good or for ill), and lets them get more pathos. Both ratings get exponentially more difficult to reach as they go up.

If you don't want to use Wraith rules directly, make wraiths who have physical monuments harder to damage and those who are remembered by many able to do more things.

Comment

As expected, your insight has been extremely useful. Thank you very much.

Comment

Originally posted by Callishka View Post
                    Oh, here's an idea: Perhaps a Mage could alter how the wraith's Shadow works... pacifying it, splitting it off aka "Rite of Severance"...
                    Would that be possible combining, idk, Mind and Spirit?

Golden rule aside, there's the tendency in WoD games to not let supernatural powers mess up with "the fundamentals" of every game line. You cannot break Caine's Curse through magic and stuff like that, for instance.

Comment

Originally posted by Argonot View Post

Would that be possible combining, idk, Mind and Spirit?

Golden rule aside, there's the tendency in WoD games to not let supernatural powers mess up with "the fundamentals" of every game line. You cannot break Caine's Curse through magic and stuff like that, for instance.
                      Seems like some combo of Mind, Spirit, Life might work.

That's true about the fundamentals, but on the other hand, Ferryman were/are ghosts, and they developed the rite of severance, and that shit works! One way to balance it is to give it the same or similar negatives of the Rite, which is that the Shadow splits off as its own separate threat. In that case, the shadow is conserved and reality has only been somewhat fucked-with. Such a gift from a Mage would be monumental, perhaps putting the wraith in permanent debt to the Mage, and in any case the changed wraiths would be outside the normal constraints of wraith civilzation at that point.

Comment

Late to the party, but here's 2/3 things from fiverse books

From Masters of the Art, a mage with enough power can creates a new body for the wraith to be in, offering thel a new chance at life. I guess it's a Life 3, Prime 3, Spirit 3 effect

Masters of the art also mention that mages can bring wraiths across the umbra, offering them "a welcomed change of scenery". I think it would be a simple Spirit 4 effect.

Finally, the Ghost Hunters's script mention an effort from the Syndicate-Void Engineers to make better relations with ghosts, notably by transferring matter to the dark umbra (spirit/dimensional science 3) to make the use of soulforging and relic hunting less important).

Comment

Shouldn't it take Life 5 to create a living human body, and Spirit 4 to bind the wraith to it permanently (or at least indefinitely)?

Comment

The writeup on Life 5 in M20 says Spirit 3 or Spirit 5. The writeup on Spirit says Spirit 5. So Life 5/Prime 2 to create the body and Spirit 5 to permanently bond the Wraith into it. Spirit 4 could probably do it for an impermanent but indefinite time.

Comment

To make this a little more interesting what about expanding it to things that Mediums, Sorcerers, and Necromancers could do for Wraiths?

Comment

Working...
                              X