Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jobs in a Necropolis

Hi everyone:
    I am creating my first Wraith scenario and I am trying to imagine what type of everyday jobs would be in a large Necropolis and who would do thenlm.
    I am not only thinking about fancy stuff but also the nitty gritty needed to make the Hierarchy bureacracy work.
    Ideas that I have so far:
    - Dock workers (to load and unload ships from Stygia or other Necropoli). Done by thralls (owned by?) or low-level free wraiths
    - Cart pushers (vehicles costing pathos are expensive and there are no animals) . Same as before.
    - Market sellers (to sell relics and small soulforged items to the public)
    - Builders
    - Accountants and other clerks

Any other ideas?

City watch, as well as assorted secret police, first responders (to spectres, nihils, other emergencies/disasters), quick response teams, etc.

Service industies, including entertainment, news/media, corpus sculpting, pathos supply, housing, and so forth.

Messengers, couriers.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Almost any job that existed in the ancient, medieval, or early modern world can exist in Wraith. You just need to translate them into their Wraith equivalent, keeping in mind that while wraiths may not eat, they do need Pathos, and that the material they use to create most things is some form of soul plasm or relics.

The setting of Wraith has an actual economy, but it's one of pronounced scarcity. Productivity is low because the equivalent of natural resources are low. The wraiths who can control those few areas of resource extraction are probably the richest. Wraith is probably more like a post-apocalypse setting than the ancient world because most of their products rely on scavenging relics and combining them into something useful, rather than making something that is brand new. The service economy is probably where most wraiths are employed.

At the same time, free wraiths do not actually need much. Most of their lives will simply be spent like hunter gatherers. Some amount of time spent collecting Pathos for themselves, and the rest spent in leisure.

Landlords will still exist who own by Stygian law certain properties. These will include most known Haunts, anything that has been improved through Stygian steel and the like, and any other desirable property. They might be private individuals, an individual officer of the Hierarchy, one of the Legions themselves with an administrator being the building manager, or the Necropolis in general. In areas ruled by the Renegades or Heretics, the owner might be one of the gangs or the cult itself.

Pathos dealers using Soulfire Crystals. Almost all of them are probably members of the Usurer's Guild.

Relic merchants who buy, sell, and trade for relics.

Pardoners. While some Pardoners might perform certain services for free as charity, most will be charging some sort of fee. They will be known the Iron Lanterns they hang as advertisements.

Reapers are a recognizable profession in the underworld. Related to them will be slavers and thrall merchants.

Winnowers are people who glean the detritus in the aftermath of a Maelstrom for any useful items like scraps of relics or other items. This may not be a full time profession, but there will be people who do this after every big storm.

Beachcombers are people similar to winnowers, but they look for relics in places where there is a shore or direct access to the Tempest. All things that fall into the ocean and become lost become relics. So you can find useful things if you look long enough.

Salvagers who claim relics from anything in the real world that gets destroyed. They are going to swarm buildings that have been destroyed by arson or storm, car crashes, train wrecks, and other human disasters.

Entertainers. You have Chanteurs, Sandmen, and Masquers. Even slavers might hold gladiatorial games. All sorts of entertainment will be wanted.

Repairmen for anything that becomes broke, mostly Artificers (using Arcanoi the books usually leave out since they transformed most Inhabit into powers to be used in the Skinland, but the books make it clear it is the Artificers who create and repair most items).

Lawyers. There will always be a need for lawyers. The Hierarchy has a large legal code.
      Last edited by Black Fox; 07-04-2022, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Then there are the public works that the Legions perform. These will be critical jobs that the government needs to perform itself. They won't be services that free wraiths can buy. But they might interact with the Legions as they perform their duties, or petition the local Necropolis to provide more services to their local area.

Registars who will record new enfants that are reaped, new thralls, wraiths that become soulforged, and so on.

Masters of Argos will perform messenger, delivery, and taxi services especially BETWEEN necropoli or between the necropolis and Stygia.

Work crews will build, maintain, and repair any infrastructure like Citadels, byways, the Midnight Express, and beacon flames.

Legionnaires will patrol the streets for police work or civil defense.

Scribes will keep various archives like tax records, police records, news reports, and anything else that the government wants to record.

Tax collectors will collect whatever oboli or perhaps Pathos from whatever customs duties or taxes that are levied.

Comment

Originally posted by Microcuchon View Post
          - Cart pushers (vehicles costing pathos are expensive and there are no animals) . Same as before.
          There may be no animals, but there are the very next best thing: Molinated Wraiths.

That would probably be bestly done by thralls molinated into animals, for increased performance.
          T

Comment

[QUOTE=Black .

The setting of Wraith has an actual economy, but it's one of pronounced scarcity. Productivity is low because the equivalent of natural resources are low. The wraiths who can control those few areas of resource extraction are probably the richest. Wraith is probably more like a post-apocalypse setting than the ancient world because most of their products rely on scavenging relics and combining them into something useful, rather than making something that is brand new. The service economy is probably where most wraiths are employed.
            [/QUOTE]

That post apocalyptic reference was really useful, I can use a lot of ideas from Fallout now )))

Comment

In hindsight, I rather wish there had been a sourcebook about Wraiths who venture out into the wilderness or the darker crannies of Necropoli to scrounge for any and everything that might be useful and can be traded for other goods and services. Sort of a mix of urban explorers, Tomb Raider, and Beyond Thunderdome's Bartertown.

There used to be a thing called rag and bone men, or just ragmen/ragpickers, who would collect assorted household items being thrown out and try to sell them to lower end merchants, sometimes refurbished or not. While it largely went away after WW2, you still see it with things like scrap metal or recyclables. It's probably still very much a thing in the underworld.

London, and some other places with tides, would also have mudlarks, orphans and poor children who would go out along the mudbanks of the Thames at low tide to hunt for any valuables which might've fallen off ships or otherwise been lost in the river.
              Last edited by No One of Consequence; 07-05-2022, 08:38 PM.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
              Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
                City watch, as well as assorted secret police, first responders (to spectres, nihils, other emergencies/disasters), quick response teams, etc.

Service industies, including entertainment, news/media, corpus sculpting, pathos supply, housing, and so forth.

Messengers, couriers.
                Social Workers, i keep thinking of Juno from Beetlejuice working office in Wraith.

Also lawyers, judges and boreaucratic stuff

in my settings there is Wraith radio DJs that play music for the troops and civilians (and sometimes the quick can accidentally tap onto these signals)

Forum's Official's Joker and Trickster. Pardon my bad english, aint my first language (I Speak Spanish).
                ST: DtF, HtR, WtO, MtA
                Signature Chars: Crowley (hakalu), Joe The Nuwisha (WtA)
                Changelings: be afraid of the Technocracian High Five of Doom

Comment

Originally posted by Crowley View Post

Social Workers, i keep thinking of Juno from Beetlejuice working office in Wraith.

Also lawyers, judges and boreaucratic stuff

in my settings there is Wraith radio DJs that play music for the troops and civilians (and sometimes the quick can accidentally tap onto these signals)
                  How would that work? Artifact radio station + relic radio receiver?

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
                    In hindsight, I rather wish there had been a sourcebook about Wraiths who venture out into the wilderness or the darker crannies of Necropoli to scrounge for any and everything that might be useful and can be traded for other goods and services. Sort of a mix of urban explorers, Tomb Raider, and Beyond Thunderdome's Bartertown.

There used to be a thing called rag and bone men, or just ragmen/ragpickers, who would collect assorted household items being thrown out and try to sell them to lower end merchants, sometimes refurbished or not. While it largely went away after WW2, you still see it with things like scrap metal or recyclables. It's probably still very much a thing in the underworld.

London, and some other places with tides, would also have mudlarks, orphans and poor children who would go out along the mudbanks of the Thames at low tide to hunt for any valuables which might've fallen off ships or otherwise been lost in the river.

Depending on how often maelstroms (lower case m) happen, there is easily a place for people who venture out after storms to collect the detritus left behind. I think most of the effluvia dissolves but relics (and there should, in theory, be quite a few relics lost in the Tempest) would stick around. Now that special Tempest clouds are a component of Stygian steel this could be even more lucrative. Stranded and disoriented spectres would also be quite the windfall if you have the resources to capture them and drag them to the forges.

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

Comment

Originally posted by Kakost View Post
                      There may be no animals, but there are the very next best thing: Molinated Wraiths.

That would probably be bestly done by thralls molinated into animals, for increased performance.
                      T
                      Some animal wraiths could work
                      The shadowlands are basically the place of emotions and memories.
                      Dogs, cats... both have a very strong emotional bond. There is that famous tale of a dog, that spend years siting next to its owner gravestone... that probably continued its vigil after he died
                      Rats... most pople in the cities either hate or afraid of rats... ghostly rats could be fun, or skeletal ones. Same goes for crows or cockroaches.
                      And of course, pigeons... when a whole town hate pigeons with a passion, they would manifest as ghostly or skeletal pigeons, droping ectopalsm on wraits... perching on dead trees
                      And slautherhouses? The misery and the supersitions suronds those places could be enough for a few spectral cows to manifest now and then..
                      At least this is my take on wraith-animals... I always use them.
                      (Not to mention with a little corssover refernce, the Mokolé have totems and wraith-like animal "friends' , "spirits of dead or extinct races; tho' they tend to avoid the Dark Umbra because of the Inocents... by the way, if anything, an Inocent could cause a lot of headache for a Necropolis. And wraiths/specters following a Silent Strider)

EDIT: I have foggy memories of horses from the Book of Legions - i think? - but the Equitae (not sure about the name) were either plasmics or "we dont know where those ghost horses are from"
                      Last edited by Shadeprowler; 07-09-2022, 06:54 AM.

Comment

The problem with introducing wraith animals is that it messes with the need to soulforge human wraiths, depending on how common they are. If you want to keep soulforging as a horrible practice that always looms in the back of the minds of every wraith, animal ghosts need to be exceedingly rare- in which case it would still be more practical to moliate human wraiths for specific tasks usually performed by animals in the Skinlands.

As for other jobs, I'm rather fond of the idea of sailors: wraiths who trawl the Tempest on relic ships for flotsam and small plasmics. Obviously a high risk / high reward job. Sea of Shadows mentions pirates that do much the same, so I figure there would be a 'legal' equivalent as well.

Miners would be another. Stygia has access to rare resources from the nearby Veinous Stair, and Necropolises could also have resources nearby. A mineshaft collapses in the Skinlands, and pops up on the other side.

Private Investigators - Hierarchy nobles always want as much dirt on each other as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by voidshaper View Post
                          The problem with introducing wraith animals is that it messes with the need to soulforge human wraiths,
                          Normaly I would agree
                          But 20th Edition, at least, points out that most soulforging involves Drones, ghosts who do not have the sentience of wraiths, or Plasmics, creatures of the Shadowlands that often don't have sapience. Sadly, they can't be used for the really effective artifacts, and the Hierarchy is more than corrupt enough to look for excuses to soulforge enemies.
                          And 20th also offers another soulforging alternative with the Alchemists' relicforging, which makes use of relics, the 'ghosts' of inanimate objects. Why isn't it a significant alternative to soulforging? Because a group in the Artificers saw it as a threat, and they had powerful friends...
                          I belive the two could co-exist, animals and the fear of soulforging.
                          Actually In my humble oppinion, having an alternative, yet still using wraiths is more horrible than not having it. It shows the fact higher up Wraiths were humans once and they are still horrible beings
                          And of course, another "weapon" in the arsenal of the Shadow (especially if Specters, the "bad guys" don't use soulforged things... we are maybe the agents of Oblivion but even WE don't sink THAT low to forge each other... joiiiiiiiinn...uuuuussss....)

Comment

There are some plasmic creatures that either appear as animals or close enough to animals that are sometimes used by wraiths. These are called Phantasies. I think the horses of the Equitae are among them. They are just very, very, very, very rare. Which is why the vast majority of "beasts of burdens" would be moliated, lobomotimized wraiths/drones.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadeprowler View Post

But 20th Edition, at least, points out that most soulforging involves Drones, ghosts who do not have the sentience of wraiths, or Plasmics, creatures of the Shadowlands that often don't have sapience. Sadly, they can't be used for the really effective artifacts, and the Hierarchy is more than corrupt enough to look for excuses to soulforge enemies.
                              Soulforging was always mostly practiced on drones because drones were and are much more common than free-willed Wraiths. 20th just made that a bit clearer.

This is true in universe too. By the Hierarchy's reckoning, soulforging is only used on Drones, Spectres (and a few other cases like convicted criminals). It's just that no one really looks to hard to see if the reaper or legionnaire is honest. Nor do many shed a tear for the wrongly forged because they were probably going to fall to Oblivion anyway. It is not Hierarchy law but the need for soulsteel and systemic corruption that send so many wraiths to the forges.

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

Comment

Working...
                              X