• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microcuchon
    started a topic Jobs in a Necropolis

Jobs in a Necropolis

Hi everyone:
    I am creating my first Wraith scenario and I am trying to imagine what type of everyday jobs would be in a large Necropolis and who would do thenlm.
    I am not only thinking about fancy stuff but also the nitty gritty needed to make the Hierarchy bureacracy work.
    Ideas that I have so far:
    - Dock workers (to load and unload ships from Stygia or other Necropoli). Done by thralls (owned by?) or low-level free wraiths
    - Cart pushers (vehicles costing pathos are expensive and there are no animals) . Same as before.
    - Market sellers (to sell relics and small soulforged items to the public)
    - Builders
    - Accountants and other clerks

Any other ideas?

• Robert Armsley
    replied
    Originally posted by Ramnesis View Post
    On that note, since Wraiths can also gain Pathos from feeling the emotions associated with their passions, I imagine there could be services that facilitate that. It's the most difficult way to regain Pathos, so I think those services would have to be non-arcanoi based. Counselors, meditation guides, and thrillseekers would all be viable options here.
    Sandmen, Castigators and that guild that uses Mnemoi would be the experts here. I can see specialty circles working together for customized counseling, services and entertainments.

Leave a comment:

• Robert Armsley
    replied
    Originally posted by Black Fox View Post
    Then there are the public works that the Legions perform. These will be critical jobs that the government needs to perform itself. They won't be services that free wraiths can buy. But they might interact with the Legions as they perform their duties, or petition the local Necropolis to provide more services to their local area.

Registars who will record new enfants that are reaped, new thralls, wraiths that become soulforged, and so on.

Masters of Argos will perform messenger, delivery, and taxi services especially BETWEEN necropoli or between the necropolis and Stygia.

Work crews will build, maintain, and repair any infrastructure like Citadels, byways, the Midnight Express, and beacon flames.

Legionnaires will patrol the streets for police work or civil defense.

Scribes will keep various archives like tax records, police records, news reports, and anything else that the government wants to record.

Tax collectors will collect whatever oboli or perhaps Pathos from whatever customs duties or taxes that are levied.

Since ostensibly all Wraiths under the Heirarechy are supposed to be part of the Legions, a great avenue for play might be temporary impressment to perform these services. Before the revolt of the Guilds, IMO the Guilds probably performed these services.

Leave a comment:

• voidshaper
    replied
    Oh, good call! By extension, museums gain additional relevance for inspiring emotional responses with exhibits. Stygia hoards a lot of the relics that could be used for that, but Necropolises could have smaller collections of local art or historic articles.

It just occurred to me that the Society of Sensation (from the D&D Planescape setting) would be a really good fit for WtO, or a similar epicurean / hedonistic group. The idea of having installations specifically to inspire emotional responses like the Civic Festhall in Sigil clicks rather nicely into the lore.

Leave a comment:

• Ramnesis
    replied
    On that note, since Wraiths can also gain Pathos from feeling the emotions associated with their passions, I imagine there could be services that facilitate that. It's the most difficult way to regain Pathos, so I think those services would have to be non-arcanoi based. Counselors, meditation guides, and thrillseekers would all be viable options here.

Leave a comment:

• voidshaper
    replied
    Originally posted by Ramnesis View Post
    To be clear, harvesting Pathos from the living isn't against the Dictuum Mortuum. Using Arcanoi to manipulate them into the right emotions is.
    True, I could have been clearer about this. It's a bit strange though, the 'harvesting' mechanic of the Pathos Flasks is completely passive and Outrage isn't exactly the best Arcanos to inspire a wide range of emotions in the Quick for this purpose.

Leave a comment:

• Ramnesis
    replied
    To be clear, harvesting Pathos from the living isn't against the Dictuum Mortuum. Using Arcanoi to manipulate them into the right emotions is.

Leave a comment:

• voidshaper
    replied
    I just remembered (back on topic) that a faction of Spooks trade pseudo booze in the form of liquid Pathos. They gather the stuff from the Quick and then sell it, which is technically illegal. That could lead to a prohibition type scenario where Necropolises have speakeasies and bootlegging. Before I had the Spooks Guildbook, I gave that role to the Sandmen, but the two could well exist together (or in competition), with the Sandmen selling bottled dreams to provide escapism.

Speaking of drugs, some Artificers or Alchemists could focus on crafting potions from plant & fungal detritus, the rare native flora of the Shadowlands, and more esoteric materials. Basically apothecaries.

Masquers specializing on mimicking fabrics could be a cheap alternative to tailors, and shape the Corpus directly to take on the appearance of clothes.
    Last edited by voidshaper; 07-12-2022, 07:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• No One of Consequence
    replied
    Originally posted by Black Fox View Post
    There are some plasmic creatures that either appear as animals or close enough to animals that are sometimes used by wraiths. These are called Phantasies. I think the horses of the Equitae are among them. They are just very, very, very, very rare. Which is why the vast majority of "beasts of burdens" would be moliated, lobomotimized wraiths/drones.
    Just for my own head canon, I like to include things that resemble birds, cats, and dogs, which are referred to as Gorecrows, Grimalkins, and Hellhounds, respectively.

Leave a comment:

• Ramnesis
    replied
    That's the flip side of the Thralldom coin, though. The party line of the Hierarchy is that every soul that falls strengthens Oblivion. On that basis, soulforging drones is necessary and Thralldom nearly so. Obviously it is not that simple, and much like many other Stygian policies it may be causing more harm than good. On the other hand it might actually be true. More importantly, it sounds true enough to those who are far enough from the problem.

Leave a comment:

• voidshaper
    replied
    It's probably also worth pointing out that a non-insignificant number of Drones used for Soulforging are exhausted Thralls. And while everybody does their best to ignore the moaning cobblestones on a day-to-day basis, everyone is also acutely aware of the malpractices.

This is my personal interpretation, but I think if there were enough alternative resources available (such as animal Wraiths) and the Artificers would continue to forge human Wraiths, it would be one of the very few things that could actually incite open rebellion from all strata of the Hierarchy- especially with Charon AWOL. A number of Necropolises have already made Thralldom illegal for many reasons, but the practice of burning out Thralls and then sending them to the forges is certainly one of them.

Leave a comment:

• Ramnesis
    replied
    Originally posted by Shadeprowler View Post

But 20th Edition, at least, points out that most soulforging involves Drones, ghosts who do not have the sentience of wraiths, or Plasmics, creatures of the Shadowlands that often don't have sapience. Sadly, they can't be used for the really effective artifacts, and the Hierarchy is more than corrupt enough to look for excuses to soulforge enemies.
    Soulforging was always mostly practiced on drones because drones were and are much more common than free-willed Wraiths. 20th just made that a bit clearer.

This is true in universe too. By the Hierarchy's reckoning, soulforging is only used on Drones, Spectres (and a few other cases like convicted criminals). It's just that no one really looks to hard to see if the reaper or legionnaire is honest. Nor do many shed a tear for the wrongly forged because they were probably going to fall to Oblivion anyway. It is not Hierarchy law but the need for soulsteel and systemic corruption that send so many wraiths to the forges.

Leave a comment:

• Black Fox
    replied
    There are some plasmic creatures that either appear as animals or close enough to animals that are sometimes used by wraiths. These are called Phantasies. I think the horses of the Equitae are among them. They are just very, very, very, very rare. Which is why the vast majority of "beasts of burdens" would be moliated, lobomotimized wraiths/drones.

Leave a comment:

• Shadeprowler
    replied
    Originally posted by voidshaper View Post
    The problem with introducing wraith animals is that it messes with the need to soulforge human wraiths,
    Normaly I would agree
    But 20th Edition, at least, points out that most soulforging involves Drones, ghosts who do not have the sentience of wraiths, or Plasmics, creatures of the Shadowlands that often don't have sapience. Sadly, they can't be used for the really effective artifacts, and the Hierarchy is more than corrupt enough to look for excuses to soulforge enemies.
    And 20th also offers another soulforging alternative with the Alchemists' relicforging, which makes use of relics, the 'ghosts' of inanimate objects. Why isn't it a significant alternative to soulforging? Because a group in the Artificers saw it as a threat, and they had powerful friends...
    I belive the two could co-exist, animals and the fear of soulforging.
    Actually In my humble oppinion, having an alternative, yet still using wraiths is more horrible than not having it. It shows the fact higher up Wraiths were humans once and they are still horrible beings
    And of course, another "weapon" in the arsenal of the Shadow (especially if Specters, the "bad guys" don't use soulforged things... we are maybe the agents of Oblivion but even WE don't sink THAT low to forge each other... joiiiiiiiinn...uuuuussss....)

Leave a comment:

• voidshaper
    replied
    The problem with introducing wraith animals is that it messes with the need to soulforge human wraiths, depending on how common they are. If you want to keep soulforging as a horrible practice that always looms in the back of the minds of every wraith, animal ghosts need to be exceedingly rare- in which case it would still be more practical to moliate human wraiths for specific tasks usually performed by animals in the Skinlands.

As for other jobs, I'm rather fond of the idea of sailors: wraiths who trawl the Tempest on relic ships for flotsam and small plasmics. Obviously a high risk / high reward job. Sea of Shadows mentions pirates that do much the same, so I figure there would be a 'legal' equivalent as well.

Miners would be another. Stygia has access to rare resources from the nearby Veinous Stair, and Necropolises could also have resources nearby. A mineshaft collapses in the Skinlands, and pops up on the other side.

Private Investigators - Hierarchy nobles always want as much dirt on each other as possible.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X