Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Wraith] Ghosts in space??

Hypothetical scenario:

A wraith gets a hold of the Challenger shuttle Relic and retrofits it to run on Pathos (maybe soulfire crystals or something as well). The wraith launches it and goes to space.

What happens? Where does he go? Is there a Shadowland-version of Horizon that he runs into

This is what happens when an Abyssal Exalted ends up in H.o.L.
    (Also known as "Derpwraith" and "PretentiousFontsGuy
    ").

What happens? This happens.

I'm a professor! Why is no one listening to me?!

Comment

Had to giggle there

I like hypothetical stuff and it's a damn good question.
      Or, what would happen if a Wraith climbed aboard a skinland craft in the shadowlands?
      I have a feeling the pull on his Fetters would be too much and he'd find himself unceremoniously yanked out before the ship got outside of the atmosphere.

As for the original question I have no idea. I'll have to come up with something.

Miley Cyrus is obviously a Nephandi and a Cultists love-child. *Shudders*

Comment

I always liked this question, and I've seen it asked a few times on the forums, but it never seems to go anywhere. I think it has a lot of potential. The Technocrazy has experienced haunted space colonies/stations before, I remember it occasionally being brought up.

Space is well alien to human ghosts so I think it would have a lot of cool mysteries. Maybe since its absent of wraiths any wraiths who find themselves there perhaps finds aliens spirits, like maybe its closer to the Umbra, or aspects of the Abyss/Oblivion.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

It's a wonderful premiss. As far as I can tell there is nothing stopping a Wraith taking a ride on Nasa's latest expedition, or indeed as the OP said a Relic spacecraft. Although in Challengers' case, would the Relic just be the shuttle or the whole assembly? If only the former, would Pathos be enough to get it 'beyond' the shadowlands' 'atmosphere?'

Comment

Well, I read in the book of worlds the other day that entropy serves as a sort of force of gravity for wraiths, pulling them downward toward oblivion. If you take this literally, then that means that the rocket will never truly escape, because entropy is inherent in every system. Except for maybe transcendence.

Comment

Originally posted by Froggy711 View Post
              Well, I read in the book of worlds the other day that entropy serves as a sort of force of gravity for wraiths, pulling them downward toward oblivion. If you take this literally, then that means that the rocket will never truly escape, because entropy is inherent in every system. Except for maybe transcendence.
              Yeah, I had a similar thought regarding Fetters. They tie you to the Shadowlands so they must surely exert some kind of pull on your corpus. And I was so looking forward to 'Wraiths in Space!!!' Bit of a bugger really...

Comment

The new VE book was what actually spawned this question, between the mention of Necronauts and the handy little cosmological breakdown page 55.

I have a tendency to ignore rules that are inconvenient or puzzling (“More what you’d call…guidelines.”) so I was curious what the forum weigh-in would be.

I have a few scenarios, in-game and in-troupe.

Scenarios One
                ST thinks the idea of ghosts in space is stupid
                …and player wants to hitch a ride on a shuttle launch.

ST might rule, as Andreas mentioned, that Space Ghost’s Fetters unceremoniously snap him back Earth-side.

Scenario Two
                ST still thinks the idea of ghosts in space is stupid, but still allows player to retrofit the Relic shuttle…
                ….and players takes off into the wild…err...gray (?) yonder.

ST might rule that the Underworld doesn’t have an atmosphere so there is no atmosphere to get through. You just keep going up. And up. Kind of like in a video game when your toon clips off the map but can still keep going and going. You just spent all that time to have a really fancy pathos-fueled jet that is awesome for travel and giving Enochian vampires PTSD.

Scenario Three
                ST is a huge fan of Ghost of Mars and loves the idea of a spacefaring version of the Flying Dutchman.

ST might rule, using VE p 55 as a guideline, that Necro-Serenity travels through the Shadowlands of Conventional Space. They can’t interact with the Quicklands while they’re here, but once they get past the (haunted?) asteroid belt, they enter the Deep Universe…along with everyone else. Nephandi, watch out! Stygia’s comen’ for ya’!

I suppose all this depends on what kind of themes your troupe wants to mess with.

").

Comment

My thinking on this one would be that The Tempest would jack with the sense of direction on the launch. It would look like it's pointed into space, but it's really pointed at a deeper part of The Tempest and straight towards Oblivion. Now, there could be plenty of adventures to be had in a section of The Tempest that seems to be outer space, but further exploration would eventually land in The Labyrinth and the Wraiths would either plasm themselves and run or go check it out. Anyone looney enough to launch the Relic shuttle would probably take the latter option.

- If you must be ridiculous, I must ridicule you.
                  - Those that can give up essential liberties in exchange for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

"Lost In Space"
                    Another star
                    has fallen without a sound
                    Another spark
                    has burned out in the cold

Another door
                    to barrens standing open

And who is there
                    to tell me not to give and not to go

How could I know?, how could I know?
                    That I'll get lost in space to roam forever

How could I know?, how could I see?
                    feeling like lost in space to roam forever

I'm crawling down
                    The doorway to the badlands
                    And kicking down

Are you heard: it's to the black
                    and all the damage
                    fading in the oblivion mirror
                    When the demons
                    are calling me, their dragging me away

How could I know?, how could I know?
                    That I'll get lost in space to roam forever

How could I know?, how could I see?

Lost in space
                    lost in time
                    Lost in space
                    Lost in Time
                    Lost in Space

How could I know, how could i know
                    How could I know, How could I know
                    That I'll get lost in space to roam for ever

How could I now, how could I see

Forever...

Comment

Would it be the whole shuttle or just the orbiter?

Comment

I think that they would enter the Deep Umbra.

Comment

I'm still not sure if Thread Necromancy is a faux pas on the Wraith forum. Oh well. One sin added. <DING!>

").

Comment

Originally posted by Nazfool View Post
                            Scenario Three
                            ST is a huge fan of Ghost of Mars and loves the idea of a spacefaring version of the Flying Dutchman.

ST might rule, using VE p 55 as a guideline, that Necro-Serenity travels through the Shadowlands of Conventional Space. They can’t interact with the Quicklands while they’re here, but once they get past the (haunted?) asteroid belt, they enter the Deep Universe…along with everyone else. Nephandi, watch out! Stygia’s comen’ for ya’!
                            I rather like this idea. Wraiths entering the Deep Umbra could have all sorts of gonzo fun adventures.

Comment

Please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the Tempest the Dark Umbra's version of the Near Umbra? And with that being said, wouldn't a Wraith using a space ship basically go to the Far Shores? Or at least could go....

My knowledge of Wraith is from 1e, when it actually first was released at that, and some source books I have read that was viable for the other WoD I ST. Like Dark Kingdom of Jade, coz I am ST a KotE game currently. So yeah I don't have deep knowledge bout Wraith
                              Last edited by Mahjemm01; 09-14-2016, 12:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X