Specters and losing Fetters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Specters and losing Fetters

What happens when a Specter loses a Fetter (say, because it is destroyed in the Skinlands)? It doesn't go through a Harrowing, as that would be pointless... Does it lose Being/Willpower? Corpus?

I don't think it does anything like that to them. At a certain point Spectres have to deliberately destroy their own Fetters to advance in the spectral hierarchy. Of course, given the nature of Spectres it is entirely possible they'd still do this even if it significantly harmed them. I suppose Corpus loss might make sense, but there's a spectral Arcanos to steal Corpus levels from other Spectres, so I'm not sure how big a downside that is*.

*Which is to say, of every hundred Spectres that go through this stage of existence, 99 fall to Oblivion soon thereafter and only 1 manages to exist onward to Nephwrack, Hekatonkhire, and Onceborn status. But insane attrition rates are par for the course in the Labyrinth.

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

Comment

Spectres actually do go through Harrowings - but their Harrowings are of a much different nature. In them, Spectres divest themselves of the things that make them human and cleave ever closer to the allegiance of Oblivion. Rather than trying to reconcile the Psyche and Shadow as Wraiths do, Spectres attempt to demolish their Being and become wholly Shadow-eaten.

Cheers!

If you don't use an Oxford comma, I feel bad for you, son,
      'Cuz I got ninety-nine problems, but clarity ain't one.

Comment

In which book can I read more about spectral Harrowings?

Comment

If it's anywhere, it's going to be in Spectres: Dark Reflections.

Doomslayers Into the Labyrinth is also a great Spectre resource, but I don't remember it making more than passing reference to Spectre Fetters.

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

Comment

Found it on p 118 of doomslayers

A spectre that loses a fetter is given over to cartharsis for a whole day. It does *not* suffer a harrowing.

Comment

It seems I was incorrect - I must be conflating my games again (like I did with Rifts and Vampire a while ago).

Is it when they become Nephwracks that they suffer Harrowings, or am I just making things up now?

Cheers!

Edit: Of course they suffer Harrowings when they become Nephwracks, since Nephwracks are the Spectre caste that start out as Wraiths and then become Shadow-eaten. I had to go home and look that up. It appears I do not recall as much as I though I did.
              Last edited by nothing; 11-11-2015, 11:53 PM.

If you don't use an Oxford comma, I feel bad for you, son,
              'Cuz I got ninety-nine problems, but clarity ain't one.

Comment

Actually, Dopplegangers are Specters that were Wraiths. Some Dopplegangers do become Nephwracks, but Mortwights (those that become Specter immediately upon death) do as well, although more rarely.

I don't think Specters have Harrowings at all, since those are directed by the Shadow, and Specters do not have Shadows.

Comment

IIRC, Spectres don't have Harrowings. At all. It's part of the "live hard, die fast" thing they have going on. Conditions that would lead to a Wraith's Harrowing end with Catharsis (most conditions) or Oblivion (loss of all Corpus levels).

This is what happens when an Abyssal Exalted ends up in H.o.L.
                  (Also known as "Derpwraith" and "PretentiousFontsGuy
                  ").

Comment

ideas what a Spectres Psyche will do with a whole day in Catharasis?

A Spectre harrowing directed by the psyche, might be interesting...

A picture I've had in my head for a while is a Spectre whos Composure reaches 10 his redemption might involve a Meeting with his psyche that echoes the Day he overpowered it... now his psyche has turned the tables...

Comment

Working...
                    X