No announcement yet.

Specters and losing Fetters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's best not to think of Passions and Fetters in terms of advantages and disadvantages when considering how the characters approach them. Those issues come second to how the person feels about them. Whatever the Spectre may claim, his Fetters are important to him. He may secretly cherish them, he may despise them, but he can't not care about them. If he did, they wouldn't be Fetters for long.

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

Comment

Spectres may simultaneously care for and resent their Fetters. They're useful, sure, but if the Spectre is the type who cares what other Spectres think, or plans to rise up in service to Oblivion before the bitter end finally comes, Fetters keep them down.

It's a truly interesting situation to consider. Perhaps A Doppelgänger has trouble even conceiving of existence without a Fetter, which is part of why they are looked down upon by those closer to the very end of existence

Comment

the thing that separates Doppelgangers and Nephwracks are the lose of all there fetters, its the in part the reason why the Caste have so much trouble, as the Nephwracks are really just Doppelgangers who lost all there fetters, and or maybe a Mortwright,

i also think that it depends on the caste as to how much they care about there fetters, Nephwracks don't care as much, because losing them is a status symbol. while Shades with fetters are something to fear, a pack of them in the Shadowlands with no limit on how long they can exist there, that is enough to cause some restless to jump straight into a harrowing.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadMan View Post
          the thing that separates Doppelgangers and Nephwracks are the lose of all there fetters, its the in part the reason why the Caste have so much trouble, as the Nephwracks are really just Doppelgangers who lost all there fetters, and or maybe a Mortwright,

i also think that it depends on the caste as to how much they care about there fetters, Nephwracks don't care as much, because losing them is a status symbol. while Shades with fetters are something to fear, a pack of them in the Shadowlands with no limit on how long they can exist there, that is enough to cause some restless to jump straight into a harrowing.
          While I think the loss of Fetters may be necessary for someone to become a Nephwrack, I don't consider it the dividing line. Nephwracks have spent enough time awash in Oblivion that they are starting to drift into alien territory. Oblivion (though not necessarily their own annihilation) is becoming much more important to them than their old life, their humanity, or even a coherent world view. Losing Fetters is a symptom of that, but not proof of it.

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

Comment

Working...
          X