Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Systems Chapter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Though again, resolving it would take five 10s on a Willpower roll, unless you drop it down and homebrew the effect of 10s in the amount of what you reduce the Passion down too. Fairly tough, but manageable.

    Worst-case scenario is the destruction of this Passion, Oblivion or bust for sure...

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by wander View Post
      Though again, resolving it would take five 10s on a Willpower roll, unless you drop it down and homebrew the effect of 10s in the amount of what you reduce the Passion down too. Fairly tough, but manageable.

      Worst-case scenario is the destruction of this Passion, Oblivion or bust for sure...
      I might skip the roll altogether unless the final harrowing had an ambiguous outcome.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by adambeyoncelowe View Post

        Lethal damage - Lethal damage is described as upgrading bashing damage to lethal, presumably (although not explicitly) when the Corpus track is full of bashing damage already. In other games, once a character has a full track of bashing damage, additional bashing damage upgrades this to lethal and additional lethal damage upgrades this to aggravated (IIRC). Furthermore, the Wavering state contradicts this somewhat by stating that a single level of lethal damage when Wavering doesn't upgrade the damage but instead sends the character into a Harrowing. So which is it? Upgrade (and to lethal or aggravated) or Harrowing? And does bashing damage applied to a Wavering wraith also upgrade damage?
        You have the nWoD scheme in your head. In cWoD games, any damage after being incapacitated with lethal kills you rather than shifting previous lethal damage to aggravated. Obviously, wraiths don't worry about dying, since they're already dead, but at that point it would be Harrowing time from lost Corpus.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Saur Ops Specialist View Post
          You have the nWoD scheme in your head. In cWoD games, any damage after being incapacitated with lethal kills you rather than shifting previous lethal damage to aggravated. Obviously, wraiths don't worry about dying, since they're already dead, but at that point it would be Harrowing time from lost Corpus.
          On page 23 of the Systems Chapter document sent out to backers, it says:
          Lethal damage is exactly what the term implies – injuries caused by things that are designed to be or are capable of killing in short order: knives, gunshots, high speed collisions, wild animal attacks, falling from considerable height, etc. Lethal damage is indicated by putting an “X” through a temporary Corpus Level box for each lethal level. Lethal damage “upgrades” bashing damage as it is inflicted – simply add another line to make an “X” If a wraith suffers lethal damage and all of her Corpus Levels are full of lethal damage, she falls into a Harrowing.
          (You can find a copy of it here).

          So, after talking it over with my best friend/assistant Storyteller/player (who originally made the argument that Resolution rolls were fine, based on the assumption that the "exploding 10s" rule still applied to them, thus statistically making a 4-point Passion more difficult to Resolve than a 5-point Passion, and that the "benefit" of Resolving a Passion was one less means of opportunity to be harassed if one botches a Passion roll), we have decided to implement the changes discussed previously in this thread at our table, with the addition that successfully Resolving a Passion grants an amount of experience points equal to the Passion's rating (an incentive for the players to engage with weakening the Passion, but not weaken it too much). We've also decided that botching a Resolution roll doesn't automatically bar one from Transcendence - but botching three Resolution rolls does, under the idea that some things are just (F)ated not to be.

          Cheers!

          Edited to add: I realize that I did not articulate myself properly in the first section, in my haste to get to the Resolution discussion, but I am supporting Saur Ops' point.
          Last edited by nothing; 11-24-2015, 06:24 PM.


          If you don't use an Oxford comma, I feel bad for you, son,
          'Cuz I got ninety-nine problems, but clarity ain't one.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by nothing View Post
            On page 23 of the Systems Chapter document sent out to backers, it saysYou can find a copy of it here).
            Awesome, but is this OK with OPP? Are we mere mortals who have not backed WTO20 (because I found out about it after it finished) allowed to read this?

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by wander View Post
              Though again, resolving it would take five 10s on a Willpower roll, unless you drop it down and homebrew the effect of 10s in the amount of what you reduce the Passion down too. Fairly tough, but manageable.

              Worst-case scenario is the destruction of this Passion, Oblivion or bust for sure...
              Why would you need to resolve it? It's just a system hack to keep the Wraith going until they reach Transcendence. Making it another barrier is just adding an extra mystic riddle step for the hopeful to overcome. That's fine if that's what you are going for, but I wouldn't call for it just because it's technically a Passion.


              Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Herbert_West View Post
                Awesome, but is this OK with OPP? Are we mere mortals who have not backed WTO20 (because I found out about it after it finished) allowed to read this?
                I'm willing to let it stand, until or unless a moderator asks me to edit it, or edits it themselves.

                Cheers!


                If you don't use an Oxford comma, I feel bad for you, son,
                'Cuz I got ninety-nine problems, but clarity ain't one.

                Comment


                • #23
                  These chapters normally get posted on the forums when the developers look for feedback anyway. I doubt it eats into their sales much because they're unfinished and text-only. Plus, roleplayers like collecting things by definition, so we like to spend money on books we can't afford (even if we've read the plain text) just for completion's sake. :-P

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by adambeyoncelowe View Post
                    These chapters normally get posted on the forums when the developers look for feedback anyway. I doubt it eats into their sales much because they're unfinished and text-only. Plus, roleplayers like collecting things by definition, so we like to spend money on books we can't afford (even if we've read the plain text) just for completion's sake. :-P


                    Speaking of which, will the deluxe editions be sold, or are they backer only?

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Herbert_West View Post



                      Speaking of which, will the deluxe editions be sold, or are they backer only?
                      Backer only, alas. Although some backers will have bought multiple copies to resell at a later date and sometimes hard-up gamers sell their only copy if they need money (not that this is something you'd want to hope for :-P).

                      You'll probably have to just buy the PoD version, I'm afraid. I feel your pain! I missed all the Kickstarters until Wraith.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Ramnesis View Post

                        Why would you need to resolve it? It's just a system hack to keep the Wraith going until they reach Transcendence. Making it another barrier is just adding an extra mystic riddle step for the hopeful to overcome. That's fine if that's what you are going for, but I wouldn't call for it just because it's technically a Passion.
                        I would assume the resolution is reaching the Transcendence harrowing... You could state the removal of Permanent Angst from the Shadow and resolving the surviving Fetters (and what seems to be increasing Willpower to make the roll easier) you may have all works to completing Transcendence and making the finale of resolution easier...

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          After this Risen thing, I just wanted to say I really like that the rules for Transcendence don't include the Shadow or its Dark Passions.

                          Cheers!


                          If you don't use an Oxford comma, I feel bad for you, son,
                          'Cuz I got ninety-nine problems, but clarity ain't one.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X