No announcement yet.

(Wraith: the Great War) Viewpoint: 10 big myths about World War One debunked

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Wraith: the Great War) Viewpoint: 10 big myths about World War One debunked

From the BBC, in honor of Veteran's Day. Obviously applicable to W:tGW.

I knew some of these, but learned a couple things I didn't know. Good read/list...

I have been around here for waaaayyyy too fucking long...

Comment

Very good list. Of course, it's not as funny an assessment as Blackadder Goes Forth (the last episode of which is routinely shown in UK classrooms now). Accuracy has to count for something, though, I guess. :-P

Comment

Blackadder Goes Forth is is phenomenal, character-driven resource for a Great War game. Sometimes a fiction, even a satire, is emotionally true. And that last two minutes of the last episode are shattering.

Cheers!

If you don't use an Oxford comma, I feel bad for you, son,
        'Cuz I got ninety-nine problems, but clarity ain't one.

Comment

The list is far too smug for my liking.

Comment

Originally posted by nothing View Post
            Blackadder Goes Forth is is phenomenal, character-driven resource for a Great War game. Sometimes a fiction, even a satire, is emotionally true. And that last two minutes of the last episode are shattering.

Cheers!
            Very true. And the jokes make the rest of the episode pretty damn good too. The writing is as cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University.

Comment

Ooh Blackadder goes Forth... And now you all have made me want to play in a Wraith: Great War game...

Comment

I JUST bought Wraith: the Great War, and I like it. Wait, that's not true... I LOVES it!

About a 100 years ago (well, less than that, obviously) after reading All Quiet on the Western Front in school, I immediately saw Blackadder Goes Forth's final episode. It's the funniest, saddest, best companion to Remarque's novel that I could imagine.

...Yeah, to echo another poster, that list isn't ideal in its impartiality, but the BBC isn't the unbiased source that she once was. That notwithstanding, the bits about the human costs of the Great War do a lot to colour the way ghosts of that era should view their state. I'm glad for the timeliness of this coming my way!

B.I.G. Bird spreads the word: Anybody with a heart votes love

Comment

Working...
                X