Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone up for a Great War PBP ending in the present day?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone up for a Great War PBP ending in the present day?

I've sketched out the setting for a Great War setting and want to run a game leading from the Great War through to the present day. Anyone game? I may have one player already.

I would, but you'd have walk me through it and explain it to me like I'm 5. I have no experience with play-by-post.

Cheers!

If you don't use an Oxford comma, I feel bad for you, son,
    'Cuz I got ninety-nine problems, but clarity ain't one.

Comment

Easy peasy. I can do that. Any ideas for a character?

Comment

Like "nothing" above I've never done play by post, but I'd like to give it a go. Which edition of Wraith would you be using, not that I know anything about any of them.
        Last edited by An Fhuiseog; 01-18-2016, 02:38 AM.

Comment

Socond Edition. There aren't many problems with the system, either, so it's pretty easy to play.

If anyone wants to play, check out the game on the link above and send me a request to join.

Comment

Originally posted by adambeyoncelowe View Post
            Socond Edition. There aren't many problems with the system, either, so it's pretty easy to play.

If anyone wants to play, check out the game on the link above and send me a request to join.
            There's no link. You had it in my old thread.

Homo sapiens. What an inventive, invincible species. It's only a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenceless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable. Indomitable.

Comment

Oops! It's here: http://rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=63551&date=1433374194

Comment

Been kinda crazy lately - how fast does this thing move? How often will I have to check it? Like, I can check it regularly, but I may not be able to post.

Cheers!

If you don't use an Oxford comma, I feel bad for you, son,
                'Cuz I got ninety-nine problems, but clarity ain't one.

Comment

I'm hoping people can post every day, but a minimum of once per three days during quiet times will probably be okay. From the CTD/MTA game I'm running, I know that the pace slows at some points and picks up at others. When there's combat or a big conflict, people need to post once a day, but for slower social interactions, it requires less regular attention. Posts tend to be quite short, though: someone gives a few lines of dialogue, then indicates if they need to take an action.

Sometimes I have to edit things and move them around so it makes a bit more sense, but generally things flow pretty freely, and we make very few rolls (except for important Effects and cantrips, combat or key contested actions). When things slow down, I usually insert a dramatic beat to keep the players involved, and this works to pick the pace back up again. But I do give people a day or so to reply before doing so, in order to let everyone have a chance to act before the next beat.

You can see my CTD/MTA game here: http://rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=63447&date=1453604875. I've learned a lot from that one, including expectations and the specific challenges of PBP, but it's built up a steady pace that seems to work for people. It's going well, and we've adapted to the hiccups along the way. You can see from the posts there what's required.

Here's an example of play from the CTD/MTA game (16 posts occurring over four days during a 'busy' period, including an example of where I've brought in the next beat in the story to pick the pace up again after a short lull):
                  Alice Miller
                  player, 60 posts
                  Science! Yay!
                  Mon 18 Jan 2016
                  at 16:09
                  Re: Scene 16: On the Silver Path and Into the Labyrinth
                  "That, John, is a recording of the Etheric energy flow. It is the building block of reality as we know it- often the Traditions wrongly refer to it as quintessence. I think it is what you are calling Glamour. Now, ideally we would have listened to it earlier- in the streets above before entering this place of magic with tree-boat-men and giant fluffy Harveys, but as I understand it you are all connected with this energy.", she looked around to indicate any of the changelings who have put the earpieces to their heads.

"I think you guys should be able to hear it... feel it maybe, the fact that there is something irritating and off kilter about the impression it makes. Just like earlier where Jazz became a little crazy- and I think its what's pushing my friend Thomas to be so antagonizing.", with the last word she leveled a gaze at Thomas as if saying, 'dont try to deny it.'.

"Sure... your Lords and Ladies on the other side must be really powerful- but this is what Marauders do, they change the nature of localized etheric fields to coincide with their own twisted, mangled versions of Real." This message had punctuation tweaked by the player at 16:13, Mon 18 Jan.
                  Thomas Morrow
                  player, 219 posts
                  Mon 18 Jan 2016
                  at 16:29
                  Thomas muttered something under his breath at Alice mentioning his irritability. It probably wasn't a nice comment given his current frame of mind.

"Like I said it messes up the fabric of reality", he summarized her explanation:"And if we let it enter Arcadia the result could be an epic fuckup of apocalyptic proportions".
                  Mikey 'Mumei'
                  player, 44 posts
                  Mon 18 Jan 2016
                  at 16:33
                  Mumei, with obvious curiosity, picks up a headphone and listens as well, nodding in understanding as he does so. "I see, so so their madness is infectious, like a taint. Is there a way to reverse this madness, to cure the infection as it were?" Mumei asks the until now, silent Alice. "If it is an energy as you say, and its effect is that it changes causing disharmony, could it not in turn be changed to become more harmonious? For example, is it possible that the cause for his disharmony IS his delusion, and by giving him that which he asks for could harmonize his being by eliminating the conflict?"
                  Thomas Morrow
                  player, 220 posts
                  Wed 20 Jan 2016
                  at 21:13
                  "As far as I know there is no curing a Marauder. The energy Alice lets you hear is the hum of reality itself straining against the Marauder's will to alter reality to fit his madness. The disharmony is the result of a Marauder forcing his will on established reality. Mages do what they do in a similar manner but we're not delusional about the fact we are altering reality to our will. When we push too hard reality puts us in our place. It pushes back. A Marauder is not so encumbered. When a Marauder pushes reality everyone else suffers reality's wrath".
                  Adam Lowe
                  GM, 568 posts
                  Storyteller
                  Wed 20 Jan 2016
                  at 23:51
                  'Then how do we kill it?' asks Jazz.
                  Adam Lowe
                  GM, 570 posts
                  Storyteller
                  Thu 21 Jan 2016
                  at 15:17
                  Before Thomas can reply, two harpies fling open the door and throw a startled and confused Alex into the room. He is accompanied by the boatman, who is still in his humanoid form.

'This one says he's with you and that he brings bad news. We shall alert the Red King at once,' the first harpy says, before leaving the room again.

Alex (who prefers to go by Ash) is a tall and willowy young man with unnaturally black shaggy hair and pale skin. His wardrobe is surprisingly simple: black t-shirt and matching hoodie and blue jeans--his vain attempt to hide unnatural good looks and an even stranger origin. Those who are able to get him to look them in the eye see a pair of midnight blue orbs with a single lonely star reflected back at them.

John, Thomas, Jazz, Lady Ipsa and Chris all recognise him from earlier at Cottonopolis and the Goblin Market. He was one of their party before getting waylaid at The Golden Gyphon. Jazz, cautiously eyeing him, realises none of them even noticed his vanishing before. She is immediately suspicious. Where has he been? Who has he been speaking to? she wonders. And how did he manage to get here on his own?

[I've moved this bit here, as John posted late, but his initial response belongs before the harpies leave.] John looks around for a window to peek through. Turning to the harpies, he asks, 'Do you know what's going on out there? What about the gryphons, are they in trouble? I'm guessing the King is aware.'

The harpy closest to John responds, 'The gyphons are scouting the area now. They will report back immediately. The King, I am sure, is aware already. You must remain here.'

'Ash,' Jazz says. 'What's happened to you? What bad news?'

The boatman, looking concerned, turns to Jazz. 'Apparently we've got company. I found your friend on the shore and ferried him over. He says there are intruders here.'

The Queen looks at the unguarded doorway. 'Is anyone watching us now?'

The boatman shakes his head.

'Then now is the time to act,' she says, regaining her human form and walking to Thomas' side. 'What exactly do you think we should do about the Red King? Now might be our only chance.' This message was last edited by the GM at 15:05, Fri 22 Jan.
                  Thomas Morrow
                  player, 221 posts
                  Thu 21 Jan 2016
                  at 22:36
                  (just to make sure I understand: some unknown group is marching toward the castle?)
                  Adam Lowe
                  GM, 571 posts
                  Storyteller
                  Thu 21 Jan 2016
                  at 22:53
                  (Yes. I'm waiting for Ash to post the details, but I'm sure you can guess who...)
                  Chris Millikan
                  player, 117 posts
                  Fri 22 Jan 2016
                  at 00:29
                  Barely above a whisper, Chris says, 'We should do something. Can we hide? Can we escape? Let the King fight his enemies, and we can clear up the mess.'

Moving towards the door, Chris squirms and flexes. Using his fae Birthright, he slips under the door to see what's in the hallway. There's nothing and no one there. The harpies have gone. Now is certainly the time to escape, but he thinks about oaths and solutions, and then the Queen and her alicorn.

Slipping back under the door, he takes his proper shape again and turns to Thomas. 'The coast is clear,' he whispers. 'Maybe we can find somewhere to hide until it's all over?'
                  Alex Goodman
                  player, 21 posts
                  1 xp unspent
                  Fri 22 Jan 2016
                  at 00:48
                  Ash looking quite ruffled put up a weak smile. 'Um, hullo.' Oh man, it will be embarassing if they start to ask questions...

'No time for reintroductions, I guess. As it happens, we have some problems here. Uhm, with the black suits storming the gate soon. Probably. I just managed to shake them off when the ladies caught me. Not my day, I guess. But what was that about them informing the King? When I last checked he was the Big Bad here, wasn't he?'

Okay, okay, I can manage this, we just need to get out somehow before the fireworks, he thinks. This message was last edited by the GM at 08:47, Fri 22 Jan.
                  Chris Millikan
                  player, 118 posts
                  Fri 22 Jan 2016
                  at 08:48
                  Chris' eyes widen. 'The Men in Black are back? How did they get here? Are they in their flying saucer again?'
                  Childermass (John Ingram)
                  player, 190 posts
                  Fri 22 Jan 2016
                  at 11:49
                  Looks like his original thought of seeing both the king and the technocrats fight each other was happening without any real provocation. He looks to the agent that they 'rescued' from the dungeon, looking to see if he'd turn on them, before turning to the mages. "Would the Technocracy really attack here? From what you said, it made me think they'd deal with things on Earth, not attack anything outside it." This message was last edited by the GM at 15:05, Fri 22 Jan.
                  Adam Lowe
                  GM, 572 posts
                  Storyteller
                  Fri 22 Jan 2016
                  at 15:04
                  John: The harpies have now left the room and the coast is clear. I've edited the posts so your initial question to them comes before they exit again.

Daniel Evans, the enchanted and almost delirious Technocrat, seems overcome with thought. 'Who . . . Are these . . . I think I remember . . .'

Jazz shakes her head and closes in on him. 'Oh no, Agent Smith! There's no time for questioning your loyalties.'

John looks out the window onto the lagoon, and over the forest on the other shore he can see a a dark blotch moving towards them. This message was last edited by the GM at 15:07, Fri 22 Jan.
                  Thomas Morrow
                  player, 222 posts
                  Fri 22 Jan 2016
                  at 17:41
                  Thomas thought for a moment.

"We will need everyone to play their part. Ipsum, you'll need to convince the Red King we will aid him against the intruders. It'll be up to you to position the Red King so the rest of us can do our thing". He kneeled in front of Alice:"Alice. This is going to be very dangerous. Stay near John. But if you happen to have a surprise invention in that backpack of yours keep it close at hand. Use when applicable". He nodded to John, feeling that his role was clear enough. He looked at Mumei and cracked his neck:"You said your martial arts let you do miraculous things. We'll probably need a few miraculous moves. Alex, interesting timing. We'll talk later. I hope you're up for a fight".

"While the Red King is distracted by whoever is out there it is up to us to grab the alicorn crown. I will take the lead". Thomas pointed at a nearby object and pulled it into his hand with a thought. He glanced at Jazz and tossed the object in her hands, then pointed her to the unicorn queen:"You use your speed and crown the queen". He addressed the queen:"Everything relies on you getting back the alicorn. With that the odds shift in our favor. With it the lands will be yours again, the griffins our allies. The advantage will be ours".
                  He unclipped his gun and took the safety off:"We end this madness on our terms. Now".

He spent the longest time observing Daniel:"For the time being we're on the same side. The Red King is our mutual enemy".

He looked at the Unicorn Queen:"We'll need an out once the Red King is down. Can you deal with the Hidden Ones once your power is restored? Return them to where they came from or give us time to get out of their reach?".
                  Adam Lowe
                  GM, 573 posts
                  Storyteller
                  Fri 22 Jan 2016
                  at 18:10
                  The Queen nods. 'Once the alicorn is returned to me, this realm will return to my full power, and I can command it like no other. I will happily expel them back to where they came from.'

Jazz grins as she takes the object from Thomas. 'I can do that,' she says, glee in her eyes.

Thomas: what was the object?
                  Chris Millikan
                  player, 119 posts
                  Fri 22 Jan 2016
                  at 18:13
                  Chris whispers, 'What can I do? I can slither and squirm. I can get into spaces no one else can. Also, I can move without anyone seeing for short periods of time. It may be long enough...'
                  Thomas Morrow
                  player, 223 posts
                  Fri 22 Jan 2016
                  at 18:18
                  Thomas smiled at Chris:"Then perhaps I should toss you the crown and you get it to the Unicorn Queen, perhaps with Jazz's aid if that's possible. Speed is good but if the Red King doesn't know where the crown is before the Unicorn Queen has her power returned that may be even better".

Comment

If you use the unofficial RPoL notifications app, you'll get a ping during set hours (e.g., 9-5pm, or 8am-10pm, as suits your schedule) whenever someone posts. It's handy for checking back and keeping up to date. If people post at least once per three days, and ideally once per day, we can maintain a good pace while not leaving any of the characters behind. When people need time AFK for more than a few days, we either contrive an IC excuse, or people give me their planned intentions for the next few days, and I make the odd short post on their behalf to those ends.

Comment

Is there still room in this game? I'd be interested. I have experience with Play By Post, but not really much to speak of with Wraith. (Have played some nWoD 1st Ed. [name before re-branding], and Hunter: The Vigil 1st ed.)

Comment

Sure. Did you have a concept in mind?

Comment

A vagrant from the UK who had been wandering continental Europe and died as "collateral damage" during a battle.

Comment

Sounds good to me. Send over a character sheet and request to join the game.

Comment

Working...
                            X