How Paradisical are the "Far shores"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Paradisical are the "Far shores"

heard a bit about them but not sure where to look to see them detailed how close are they to ideals on paradise?

Depends on your definition of Paradise. Or hell for that matter. Each one was created by beings know as the Shining Ones, early Ferrymen that went out to explore the Tempest. In fact they were so old they predated the Ritual of Severance. They discovered the Far Shores, a place where seemingly all forms of the afterlife, whether heaven or hell, existed. They were originally meant to serve as another means of aiding wraiths on the path of Transcendence.

Unfortunately some of the Shining Ones never received the Rite of Severance and succumbed to their Shadows, turning some of the Far Shores twisted parody of what they once were. Others have been set up by Heretic fanatics and creating their own 'Paradises' based on whatever crazy notions their belief system had.

Ultimately each one is a Paradise to some and Hell to the rest.

Homo sapiens. What an inventive, invincible species. It's only a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenceless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable. Indomitable.

Comment

The Far Shores were never extensively detailed, just mentioned and alluded to. Basically, they are small "islands" in the Tempest molded by the beliefs and desires of the people there - usually along religious lines, rarely along ethical or philosophical lines. Given the malleable nature of the Underworld, and the Tempest in particular, they are as close to the ideal of "paradise" as rulers allow; the oft-mentioned "Paradise of the Fishers," for example, was reflective of the ideals of the early Christian church, the "Elysian Fields" Far Shores (there were many; some subtly different, some drastically) were created to fulfill the expectations of Romans.

The books left enough creative space to place as many Far Shores in one's game as one would like, as only a few were ever explicitly named (and one explicitly destroyed). The only aspect the books were firm on, however, is that the Far Shores were/are not the actual Heaven/Paradise/Nirvana/etc., the simulacra created by Wraiths.

Cheers!

If you don't use an Oxford comma, I feel bad for you, son,
      'Cuz I got ninety-nine problems, but clarity ain't one.

Comment

AL13 and Nothing sum it up. From a ST perspective, I love the Far Shores. Since there’s so little written about them, they’re a nearly blank canvas. They’re the perfect excuse to have whatever themed underworld pocket you want. Far flung Renegade ports, a hellish fun house island a la Pink, an Elven stronghold (that one’s from the books), you name it.

Where you looking for a particular type of destination?

This is what happens when an Abyssal Exalted ends up in H.o.L.
        (Also known as "Derpwraith" and "PretentiousFontsGuy
        ").

Comment

Swar was early on established as a Far Shore that was corrupt and built its paradise on the horrifying use of moliated souls as all the creature comforts. I think it's been revised to be the Indian equivalent of Stygia rather than a true Far Shore, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt the Bruins fan View Post
            Swar was early on established as a Far Shore that was corrupt and built its paradise on the horrifying use of moliated souls as all the creature comforts. I think it's been revised to be the Indian equivalent of Stygia rather than a true Far Shore, though.
            Where was it established as a Far Shore?

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

I'm thinking I read about it in Sea of Shadows... mind you this was well over a decade ago, so I could easily be getting the book wrong.

Comment

Working...
              X