Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to Kill a Wraith or a Spectre?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How to Kill a Wraith or a Spectre?

    Every time a Wraith's corpus goes to zero, he pay a visit to the Labyrinth and then he's back, maybe a bit more crazy than before, but still "alive". I find this cycle a bit boring, it reminds me digimons wich turns into eggs again when they "die". There's no way to permanently destroy a Wraith?

  • #2
    Spectres don't go into Destruction Harrowings if they lose their last point of corpus. They meet Oblivion for good.

    Wraiths, alas, are hardy bastards and will keep coming back until they lose every dot of permanent corpus. You can just soulforge them, though, so it's not as if you can't permanently get rid of your enemies.

    Even Samuel Haight isn't coming back from being soulforged. He'll be an ashtray forever.

    Comment


    • #3
      When Wraiths loses all of their Corpus levels, yes, they go into Harrowings. The thing is there's no solid guarantee that they're coming out of them. IIRC, they could end up as Spectres or they could plummet into Oblivion.

      The Digimon example: When the digimon dies, they can reform as an egg if they go through a deeply personal and emotional psychodrama and find some level of acceptance, peace, solace or acceptable loathing and not give into their semi-feral and nihilistic digi-shadows. Or by not totally giving into the despair of absolute cosmic entropy and getting sucked down the faucet of Nothing ™.

      What makes you think of Harrowings as boring?

      ((Also - what ABL said - Spectres are kinda one-trick cenobite ponies.)



      This is what happens when an Abyssal Exalted ends up in H.o.L.
      (Also known as "Derpwraith" and "PretentiousFontsGuy
      ").

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Ipergigio View Post
        Every time a Wraith's corpus goes to zero, he pay a visit to the Labyrinth and then he's back, maybe a bit more crazy than before, but still "alive". I find this cycle a bit boring, it reminds me digimons wich turns into eggs again when they "die". There's no way to permanently destroy a Wraith?
        If you are willing to make the trip and risk staggering amounts of danger, you can chuck a wraith into Oblivion itself. No one comes back from that. But seriously, that's a harder path and a waste of perfectly good soulforging materials.

        But really, the point is that 'death' has already happened, wraiths were tenacious enough to keep going anyway. It takes something massive to put one down for good. That or the sheer weight of inevitability that wears away at their half-souls and promises that even if they live thousands of years they will eventually be claimed, damned, or driven mad by Oblivion.




        Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by adambeyoncelowe View Post
          Spectres don't go into Destruction Harrowings if they lose their last point of corpus. They meet Oblivion for good.

          Wraiths, alas, are hardy bastards and will keep coming back until they lose every dot of permanent corpus. You can just soulforge them, though, so it's not as if you can't permanently get rid of your enemies.

          Even Samuel Haight isn't coming back from being soulforged. He'll be an ashtray forever.
          Don't forget Stygian steel weaponry. Created by "alloying" a soul with bits of the Labyrinth, a Stygian steel weapon does aggravated damage to wraiths and Spectres. "Killing" a wraith with one drops them immediately into a Destruction Harrowing - fail that, and the wraith is permanently destroyed.

          Less lethal (but still very permanent), a wraith can be turned into a barghest. Lobotomized with Stygian steel, locked into a soulsteel mask, and doomed to hunt for his captors for all eternity . . . Not exactly a good fate

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by adambeyoncelowe View Post
            Even Samuel Haight isn't coming back from being soulforged. He'll be an ashtray forever.
            Silly question, I know, but what if you made a robot out of soulforged stuff? Or some other sort of object that could move on its own power, providing it had power.

            Comment


            • #7
              Thank you for your help guys! Talking about arrowings a wraith is always aware about them?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by nofather View Post

                Silly question, I know, but what if you made a robot out of soulforged stuff? Or some other sort of object that could move on its own power, providing it had power.
                That robot wouldn't have the consciousness of any of the soulforged components because soulforging (allegedly) destroys consciousness.

                It's possible that a particularly powerful wraith or spectre soulforged into such a component might try to gain control of the robot it is a part of, but it'd have to be a pretty epic-level character. It's also not something ever stated in the rules; it's just something you can infer from the fluff.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by adambeyoncelowe View Post
                  Spectres don't go into Destruction Harrowings if they lose their last point of corpus. They meet Oblivion for good.

                  Wraiths, alas, are hardy bastards and will keep coming back until they lose every dot of permanent corpus. You can just soulforge them, though, so it's not as if you can't permanently get rid of your enemies.

                  Even Samuel Haight isn't coming back from being soulforged. He'll be an ashtray forever.
                  or until the ashtray wears out... am curious... think that his fate was deliberate vindictiveness by the writing staff against him?


                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post

                    or until the ashtray wears out... am curious... think that his fate was deliberate vindictiveness by the writing staff against him?
                    Oh absolutely. And an in-joke.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Didn't the WtA 20th edition have an adventure that threatened to return him to an active role in the World of Darkness? It seems, as with many subjects, that there is disagreement and a back-and-forth tug of war among the writers about Samuel Haight.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Matt the Bruins fan View Post
                        Didn't the WtA 20th edition have an adventure that threatened to return him to an active role in the World of Darkness? It seems, as with many subjects, that there is disagreement and a back-and-forth tug of war among the writers about Samuel Haight.
                        More a figurative return than anything else


                        Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I've read somewhere on the web that if a wraith lose all his corpus due to aggravated damage, he's destroyed without undergo a Destruction Arrowing, Can you confirm it?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            As of Second Edition, that is incorrect.
                            "If a wraith loses all of his remaining Corpus Levels due to aggravated damage, he immediately tumbles into the Labyrinth and undergoes a Destructive Harrowing," (Wraith: the Oblivion Second Edition, p. 233).


                            This is what happens when an Abyssal Exalted ends up in H.o.L.
                            (Also known as "Derpwraith" and "PretentiousFontsGuy
                            ").

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Hmm maybe it was an outdated info...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X