Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How far can you travel from your fetters?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How far can you travel from your fetters?

Just like the title asks.
    It's one thing that's always puzzled me about Wraith.

The draw of your fetters is alluded to in text yet I can't find any RAW information in any of my books.
    Is a Wraith with all of his fetters in New York City able to travel to Los Angeles?
    Or even London?

Does having fetters have any effect on travelling 'deeper' into the Underworld?
    Can a Lemure up and decide he needs to visit an old friend in Stygia?
    Or go on a Relic hunt across one of the Far Shores?

I've always run my games under the notion that a Wraith can travel anywhere, but will always having a 'feeling' for his fetters, much like a longing for home.
    It has no system effects but is always in the back of your mind.

How do you interpret the fetter-pull?

Miley Cyrus is obviously a Nephandi and a Cultists love-child. *Shudders*

Check out page 232 or WtO 2nd. Personally, I don’t like those rules and I think Wr20 has better updates.
    In my games, Fetters are a character’s anchor to the Shadowlands. If a Wraith doesn’t have any Fetters, she can only stay in the Shadowlands for a scene (-ish. I’ll fudge if it makes a better story.
    If, for some reason, a player loses all her Fetters and the character wants to continue visiting the Shadowlands, I will allow players to buy their characters new Fetters with XP. The real price for this is good roleplaying. For example, a player that describes her character revisiting a place in the Shadowlands once a week because it reminds her of a happy moment (or whatever) in her life, the player would be allowed to buy that as a Fetter.
    The caveat is once a player buys a Fetter in this fashion, they become real Fetters with all the dangers and all the comforts.
    These are lessened stipulations that I place on traveling between layers of the underworld. A wraith can have a Fetter in Rome and travel to Phoenix no problem.
    Other than that, I think we’re both on the same page (or at least same chapter) when it comes to “fetter pull.”

This is what happens when an Abyssal Exalted ends up in H.o.L.
    (Also known as "Derpwraith" and "PretentiousFontsGuy
    ").

Comment

Originally posted by Nazfool View Post
      Check out page 232 or WtO 2nd. Personally, I don’t like those rules and I think Wr20 has better updates.
      In my games, Fetters are a character’s anchor to the Shadowlands. If a Wraith doesn’t have any Fetters, she can only stay in the Shadowlands for a scene (-ish. I’ll fudge if it makes a better story.
      If, for some reason, a player loses all her Fetters and the character wants to continue visiting the Shadowlands, I will allow players to buy their characters new Fetters with XP. The real price for this is good roleplaying. For example, a player that describes her character revisiting a place in the Shadowlands once a week because it reminds her of a happy moment (or whatever) in her life, the player would be allowed to buy that as a Fetter.
      The caveat is once a player buys a Fetter in this fashion, they become real Fetters with all the dangers and all the comforts.
      These are lessened stipulations that I place on traveling between layers of the underworld. A wraith can have a Fetter in Rome and travel to Phoenix no problem.
      Other than that, I think we’re both on the same page (or at least same chapter) when it comes to “fetter pull.”
      Or just get a Monitor to use Lifeweb and set-up a temporary Fetter to allow the Stygian to hang around to make everyone's afterlife miserable....

Comment

I like giving players options that anyone can do. And it has great potential for character building.
        Also, it's also more interesting than spamming the Trade channel with "LF Monitor WTB Fetter."

").

Comment

Except that your system requires gaunts with no Fetters to somehow get infatuated with something/person/whatever in the Skinlands and they can't spend very much time there. So, how much does it help? Unless you're positing some kind of love/hate/whatever at first sight? Within one scene? (Sure, it COULD happen, but, how often? And how INTENSE would that spit second connection have to be? Minimum of mind-blowing - Love at first sight, Absolute hatred, All-consuming envy....)

Which goes against the basic fundamental idea of Fetters, in that they are IMPORTANT to the wraith from his/her living days. Sure, I can see a wraith who is sill Fettered (and therefore uncomfortable in Sygia) developing some kind of emotional attachment to something in the Skinlands, though it probably shoudn't be all that easy, but for gaunts? I don't see it.

However, I can EASILY see something like an Imperial Censor sent out from Stygia to examine the necropoli for their adherence to the law having Lifeweb and setting up a temporary Fetter to do his job or having someone do it for him. That's the benefit of being important. You have a staff. Alternatively, it's probably something that is sort of a job requirement for overt and covert officia visitors from Stygia.

Comment

Alright. Cool. Go with that.

").

Comment

Originally posted by Nazfool View Post
              To be honest I feel like a bit of an idiot forgetting that part of the book :P
              Thanks Nazfool.

Miley Cyrus is obviously a Nephandi and a Cultists love-child. *Shudders*

Comment

Originally posted by Andreas Rayne View Post

To be honest I feel like a bit of an idiot forgetting that part of the book :P
                Thanks Nazfool.
                All good. It's a big book with some very 90's choices in layout.

").

Comment

Working...
                X