Dead pets and Wraith

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead pets and Wraith

I think we can all agree that the emotional investment in a pet can equal the investment in material objects for people. I imagine they work well as Fetters, but what about when they die? I'm not expecting a dog to become a wraith, but could there be something like a Relic found in the Shadowlands of a deceased pet?

Currently running (kpwarmerdam.nl/tabletop)
    City of Black Miracles (VtM)
    What Comes After (WtO)

Canonically, animals do not leave behind ghosts.

But fuck that. My next character's obsession is going to be reuniting with his dead cat.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
      But fuck that. My next character's obsession is going to be reuniting with his dead cat.
      Which could end up being a perfect Wraith tragedy when he never can. Just get catharsis over it's loss as he resolves the relevant Passions and Fetters. While his cat has gone on to whatever place dead cats go. Or become a Risen to pet the dead kitty body. Or find a Silent Strider to take him into the Middle Umbra to meet the ultimate Cat of which his cat was a manifestation....

Comment

Hard to imagine animals having human hang ups like Angst and Passions that prevent them from moving on.

The Underworld does have plasmic creatures, and some of them do appear like normal animals. I think the technical term is Phantasies. They live in the Tempest, not the Shadowlands, but there is no reason why some of them can't cross over.

If I was running the game, and a PC really wanted to find a deceased pet, I'd introduce a Phantasie that looks just like it. It really wouldn't be the pet, but I'd never outright tell that to the PC. In character, an NPC might mention it can't be the actual pet, but that NPC could offer no proof it is not so the PC can act however he'd like.

Besides, the game is very vague on what exactly the Plasmics are, and leave a lot up to the STs. For instance, the game is insistent that Angelics and Demonics aren't "real" Angels and Demons. I always took it that as an out so STs can do what they like, and not feel bound to produce evidence that any real world religion is objectively true - but is also a wink, wink to those STs who would like to treat them as such. So the statement Phantasies can't be real animal ghosts is only as strong as the ST wants.

Comment

Hachiko.
          *Drops mic*

Forum's Official's Joker and Trickster. Pardon my bad english, aint my first language (I Speak Spanish).
          ST: DtF, HtR, WtO, MtA
          Signature Chars: Crowley (hakalu), Joe The Nuwisha (WtA)
          Changelings: be afraid of the Technocracian High Five of Doom

Comment

http://www.ghostresearch.org/articles/animal.html
            http://paranormal.about.com/od/trueg...mal-ghosts.htm
            http://www.angelsghosts.com/animal_ghosts
            http://www.pararesearchers.org/index...paritions.html

I can see having animals as being in the Shadowlands. Not to mention that you can have Hellhounds and Risen cats, either as Risen or Spectres depending on the trauma or if the haunt is controlled by Spectres or Malfeans.

Dibs on the music.

Onyx Path Kickstarters I back.
            W20, MtC, CB20, DtD, MtAs20, BotW20, Wraith 20th.

Comment

Originally posted by PaladinDemo View Post
              [

I can see having animals as being in the Shadowlands. Not to mention that you can have Hellhounds and Risen cats, either as Risen or Spectres depending on the trauma or if the haunt is controlled by Spectres or Malfeans.

Dibs on the music.
              Do you have any sources on that? Because everything I remember says a firm "No" to animal wraiths, specters, what have you, except in the Dark Kingdom of Ivory.

Comment

Ajax, I don't think PaladinDemo is talking about what is in game. He is looking at actual ghost stories in the real world and how they include actual animals.

The easiest way to include animal ghosts is to just refer to them as being plasmic creatures called Phantasies, but keep their actual nature ambiguous.

Comment

Going that route would make them like cerements.

Onyx Path Kickstarters I back.
                  W20, MtC, CB20, DtD, MtAs20, BotW20, Wraith 20th.

Comment

Mummies could have mummified ghost animal companions, so I think it would be cool if some people's pets are linked to them after death, especially if they say die or are buried at the same time. So Hachi the Dog seems like the type to find his master in the Afterlife, or her was that dog a boy or a girl?

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

I'm not sure if it counts, but I remember one of the Orpheus books having animal ghosts in it, I can't remember which though... I think it was the first one.

Comment

Working...
                      X