WW1 Anniversary coming up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW1 Anniversary coming up

Since the anniversary of WW1 either is coming up or has been done. I don't know which cause it was briefly mentioned yesterday during memorial day. I got new music for the Great War playlist, and those of us who are still haunting the trenches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFICtZmDZ2M
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOCe2Y7iVF8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEY7Ton1gO4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rszg66O8BjY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2dc1sNRy9k
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZNeastYxEc

Onyx Path Kickstarters I back.
    W20, MtC, CB20, DtD, MtAs20, BotW20, Wraith 20th.

The anniversary of what within WWI? Because the hundred year anniversary of the start of WWI was a short while back.

That being said, I'm always happy for WWI stuff and things, because of how little attention non-historians pay to it. Carry on.

Hayley Margules, historian and former OPP writer
    Chronicles of Darkness: Dark Eras and Companion, Beast: The Primordial Ready-Made Characters, and Dark Ages: Tome of Secrets

Comment

Caveat: I support all things WWI that weren't written by, like, Chris Clark or Niall Ferguson. So carry on.

Chronicles of Darkness: Dark Eras and Companion, Beast: The Primordial Ready-Made Characters, and Dark Ages: Tome of Secrets

Comment

Originally posted by hm8453a View Post
        Caveat: I support all things WWI that weren't written by, like, Chris Clark or Niall Ferguson. So carry on.
        What is the nature of your disagreement with Clark and Ferguson? (He asked out of legitimate academic curiosity.)

EDIT: More specifically interested in reactions to Clark. Ferguson is practically his own straw man.
        Last edited by Caitiff Primogen; 05-31-2016, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Yeah the start of the war was the summer of 1914 so the 100th Anniversary was the summer before last. In fact the utterly awesome and amazing Valiant Hearts: the Great War came out to coincide with the 100th Anniversary of the war's start. The anniversary of its end won't be until November 11 2018, two and after years from now.

Anyone looking for awesome things on WWI, check out the Youtube channel, The Great War. Every week they cover what happened that week a hundred years ago in the war as well as special videos like Q&A's, bios on individuals, etc.

There's also Extra Credit's Extra History, which covered the events that lead it up to WWI in their second series. Of course all their other series in Extra History is great too and well worth looking at.

And of course the previously mentioned Valiant Hearts: the Great War.

Seriously if yourself a favor if you like anything to do with WWI and get this game. While it may be stuck behind UPlay it is more than worth it. Don't watch a Let's Play and spoil yourself. Go and play it.
          Last edited by AkatsukiLeader13; 06-01-2016, 04:00 PM.

Homo sapiens. What an inventive, invincible species. It's only a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenceless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable. Indomitable.

Comment

The anniversary of what within WWI? Because the hundred year anniversary of the start of WWI was a short while back.

That being said, I'm always happy for WWI stuff and things, because of how little attention non-historians pay to it. Carry on.
            It's the anniversary of the war itself. So I'm not sure what tangent you went on.

Comment

Originally posted by PaladinDemo View Post

It's the anniversary of the war itself. So I'm not sure what tangent you went on.
              The anniversary of WHAT of the war itself? The start? The finish? The anniversary of the assassination of Franz Ferdinand (which is not the start)? What?

Stating when wars start and end is inherently a political statement, but even if we go by the conventionally stated dates (late July to mid-November), it's none of those dates. So what are you referencing, and why did you get so offended by my asking for a clarification? A war is an ongoing thing. "Anniversary of the war itself" is unhelpful.

Comment

Common sense usually dictates the start of the war, the actual combat not political shenanigans that happened before hand. Still not satisfied.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_I

Fill in your own blank here.

Comment

Common sense usually dictates the start of the war, the actual combat not political shenanigans that happened before hand. Still not satisfied.

Well, combat did not start this month, and I'd say relevant military action started in 1867 =).

But you're getting offended for no reason, rather than enjoying a conversation with other people who are excited to discuss a war so many others ignore. I don't understand it, personally, but I also don't have time for it. I'm going to talk to the other people on this thread who want to talk about the war without needlessly attacking others.

Comment

Originally posted by Caitiff Primogen View Post

What is the nature of your disagreement with Clark and Ferguson? (He asked out of legitimate academic curiosity.)

EDIT: More specifically interested in reactions to Clark. Ferguson is practically his own straw man.
                    Apology for Germany is not a good look, and I'd posit that Clark did it to be contrarian and as part of his role in modern Anglo-German relations. But Germany didn't much appreciate it either.

Slash that's the understatement of the century, it could only have gone worse in Germany if Clark had tried to excuse them for WWII.

Comment

Well, combat did not start this month, and I'd say relevant military action started in 1867 =).

But you're getting offended for no reason, rather than enjoying a conversation with other people who are excited to discuss a war so many others ignore. I don't understand it, personally, but I also don't have time for it. I'm going to talk to the other people on this thread who want to talk about the war without needlessly attacking others.
                      Frustrated, not offended.

Comment

In the Wikipedia article you yourself posted the beginning of the war is listed as July 28 1914, which would make the centennial anniversary two years ago. Even going by the start of actual combat that would make it August 1914 (as in "The Guns of August"). I am likewise legitimately confused what anniversary you're referring to.

Comment

Slash that's the understatement of the century, it could only have gone worse in Germany if Clark had tried to excuse them for WWII.
                          You mean something like this shit?

Comment

Originally posted by Caitiff Primogen View Post

You mean something like this shit?
                            Exactly like that, yes. I think Germany's outrage of that one right there would have been worse had the book been released just two years later. Internet and social media with an attempted popular opening.

Which I'm sure is part of why Clark got the reaction he did, the release four years later, but I like how he felt the need to write the book in the first place.

Comment

Well, combat did not start this month, and I'd say relevant military action started in 1867 =)
                              Austro-Prussian War?

Comment

Working...
                              X