Looking for my first story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for my first story

Hello, this is my first post here. I bought the core book of Wraith like 16 years ago but never played it: it was my first RPG and found it quite hard, plus by then I didn't have game mates. But a few days ago, I don't know why, I dust off it and lot of good memories came to me. Then started to look for some information and found this forum and that there are so many fans over there, so I'm really excited and have propossed to run a game at last.

Well, presentations apart, the point is that I'm looking for a ready to play adventure that can be played like an introdution for my players. Something short and not too much difficult. But I don't find anything that catches me. Some of them are just fine, but don't have the dramatic point that I want for my game.

Of course, I also can write my own, but I prefer to test the waters first to check if my players are in my same ship that me.

Do you know any adventure with this features? Thanks.
    Last edited by Erwitt; 06-09-2016, 03:52 PM.

Unfortunately Wraith was quite under supported in the way of ready to play adventures. I took a look through the catalog on DriveThruRPG to see if there was something escaping my memory, but alas I didn't find much. If you need some advice on writing your own adventure, I would be glad to assist.

Comment

Due to WtO's limited popularity and run, it didn't get many pre-made adventures. I only know of four books with them, one of them being the WtO closer, Ends of Empire which probably isn't what you want despite being a rather solid and epic adventure. Buried Secrets has an introductory adventure set in Atlanta but I don't have that book so I can't attest to its quality though the setting book Necropolis: Atlanta is a decent enough book. There is the Dark Kingdom of Jade Adventures but this is another one I've never touched but given that is a companion piece to the Dark Kingdom of Jade setting book and is set outside the default setting of the Dark Kingdom of Iron, I wouldn't recommend it. Finally there is the Midnight Express. It contains several small adventures that are good but tend to be more akin to little one-off detours during larger chronicles. If there is another premade adventure in a WtO book, I'm not aware of it.

I'd say get Buried Secrets, Necropolis: Atlanta and maybe Midnight Express to start with.

EDIT: Oh, a quick look at WtO books on DriveThruRPG reveals that the First Edition WtO Rulebook has a sample adventure in it but again I don't have that book so I cannot attest to its quality.
      Last edited by AkatsukiLeader13; 06-09-2016, 02:13 PM.

Homo sapiens. What an inventive, invincible species. It's only a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenceless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable. Indomitable.

Comment

You can do an adventure around a Haunt. I got two featuring two of the famous haunts in my town.

Pythian Castle - Wraith Children are being tormented by a Doppelganger that was the pedo janitor that resided there during the orphanage years.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz45aK3OesM

Wilson's Creek Battlefield - Very few Wraiths are sentient that came from the battle, all that perished are merely death echos. While scraps of Corpus can be forged into coinage or small merch, the death echos always reset every three days. Relics can be obtained in "the mine" as it is called, but they will reappear into the hands of the owner on the reset. Local tyrants and the Hierarchy are trying to gain control of the mine, through politics, money, and all out fighting.
        http://www.travelchannel.com/shows/l...wilson-s-creek

Onyx Path Kickstarters I back.
        W20, MtC, CB20, DtD, MtAs20, BotW20, Wraith 20th.

Comment

Thanks for your replies guys.

Yes, definitely is not easy to find a suitable adventure for Wraith. I'll have a look to the books and ideas you told me.

About the story in the 1st edition core book, it looks nice, but it does't start with the awakening of the players, that is what I'm looking for. Maybe I'll write that part and then continue with the adventure of the book.

Comment

There was something in one of the old White Wolf magazines. I don't have the issue number to hand. I think it might even have been a 2-parter in 2 issues. A lot of the magazines are available on DrivethruRPG.

If that's of interest, I can try to dig up the relevant info if you wish.

Comment

Thank you, I've been seaching and I think it was in numbers 46 and 47. But these aren't available on DrivethruRPG...

Comment

Originally posted by Erwitt View Post
                Thanks for your replies guys.

Yes, definitely is not easy to find a suitable adventure for Wraith. I'll have a look to the books and ideas you told me.

About the story in the 1st edition core book, it looks nice, but it does't start with the awakening of the players, that is what I'm looking for. Maybe I'll write that part and then continue with the adventure of the book.
                Well the thing is there are very few pre-made adventures that begin with the players becoming Splat X or Y. In the oWoD the only ones I can think of is two early, and rather wonky by today's standards, books and the first part of the Giovanni Chronicles. With Wraith it's a little harder because generally how the PC died is a critical part of their being, after all a wraith only comes into being if the person has the will and a good enough reason to cling to the world. Which means their life and their death is important, more so than any other Splat. So it's not hard to see why there isn't any of those kinds adventures kicking around.

It also doesn't help that wraiths at that point don't have Arcanoi as well as limiting the Backgrounds they can take, limiting their abilities and what they can do until they have spent time learning and developing those traits.

Though that is not to say it is impossible. There's a brief section in the Character Creation chapter of Wraith: the Great War* that talks about starting a chronicle in the Skinlands, in the War and the characters getting killed, complete with a basic mortal template and how to upgrade to a wraith template. With a situation/setting like that, such a chronicle could work.

*Which is hands down the best WtO Rulebook presently out and the one historical setting we've gotten that I wish WW did more books on.

Homo sapiens. What an inventive, invincible species. It's only a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenceless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable. Indomitable.

Comment

Thank you, I've been seaching and I think it was in numbers 46 and 47. But these aren't available on DrivethruRPG...
                  Well, that sucks. Sorry, it wasn't more helpful. I can't remember if it was good or not. I remember it because it was exceptional that it even existed. I know I kept it around here somewhere, but all those files are in the very very hot garage...

Comment

Don't worry, I appreciate your help. Well, if you find them someday just let me know

Comment

Yeah like I said there's just not much for WtO. The problem is that it wasn't a well received line when it first came out (and looking at some of the early books before Dansky took over, it's not hard to see why) and it didn't get the support that other lines got.

Hell I'm temped to suggest looking at WtO's spiritual successor, Orpheus. It is easier to get into as it doesn't have the sigma of bleakness and despair that WtO has and it has self-contained meta-plot adventure that spans the entire. Well not so much in the Rulebook, it just has some brief missions the PCs can undertake for Orpheus. But that is the point. The players get use to things only for the second book and the metaplot to pull the rug out from under them when they start getting comfortable.

The closest I've ever come to playing WtO is actually through Orpheus. A few years back I had gotten my gaming group at the time to try Orpheus, running a few brief missions from the first book and the adventure of the second book. Unfortunately while they liked it and starting to get them onto the idea of playing WtO, the group fell apart and my plans were dashed.

Comment

Orpheus might be a great way to introduce people to a lot of the Wraith concepts, but deal with them in a more "step-wise" fashion. Characters can start as people who are "occasional" ghosts or as ghosts proper. If the living characters die, the can continue on as wraiths proper. There is something to do from the get-go. A defined setting and mission and what a lot of adventures are going to be like is a very good thing. There is a simplification of the rules that makes the game more approachable. You don't have to worry about that old "Shadowguiding" chestnut. You don't even have to go into the metaplot in books 2-5 if you don't want to. After all, it can just be a start-up/get acquainted with concepts game (which definitely reflected in some fiction out there). It helps answer the questions "but what would my character be doing if we're ghosts".

Then, once the shine has worn off on playing "Ghostbusters Inc. meets Ghosthunters with briefcases" you can move on to a different chronicle using Wraith proper and add in all the glorious bits that Orpheus doesn't have. Or go on the merry mad romp that is the Orpheus metaplot. (Which is worth YEARS of game play.) Or, if it's fun to just keep going with basic Orpheus, do that.

I have contemplated just running a "First Book Orpheus" game as an option for a while now as per above. It might, even probably, wouldn't get past the corporate part, but I think my group would enjoy that for what it's worth as is.

Comment

Indeed, Orpheus is a great way to introduce players to plenty of the WtO concepts without the baggage of WtO. Though if I was running through the Orpheus metaplot, I'd limit the players to living PCs so that if something unforeseen happens and the PC dies, they can continue on as a ghost rather than make a new PC.

Comment

This is correct, unfortunately.

The adventure involves the characters arriving in the Shadowlands with little or no warning, being met by a Doppelganger Spectre who pretends to be helpful (and genuinely is when they're pursued by Barghests) because they were all mystically marked by a cult before their deaths and both the Spectres and Hierarchy want access to this growing link between the living and dead worlds. So it's a fairly quick introduction to the setting itself, but it gives the characters a reason to work together regardless of their personal Passions and Fetters, which is very useful in an ongoing game where players can often focus on their own plots.

Craig Oxbrow
                            The Trinity Continuum freelancer

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Oxbrow View Post

This is correct, unfortunately.

The adventure involves the characters arriving in the Shadowlands with little or no warning, being met by a Doppelganger Spectre who pretends to be helpful (and genuinely is when they're pursued by Barghests) because they were all mystically marked by a cult before their deaths and both the Spectres and Hierarchy want access to this growing link between the living and dead worlds. So it's a fairly quick introduction to the setting itself, but it gives the characters a reason to work together regardless of their personal Passions and Fetters, which is very useful in an ongoing game where players can often focus on their own plots.
                              Hmm... that actually sounds like an excellent starting point for a WtO chronicle.

I'll have to keep an eye for those issues if they ever surface on DriveThruRPG.

Comment

Working...
                              X