No announcement yet.

Does the Dictum Mortuum feed Oblivion?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the Dictum Mortuum feed Oblivion?

Serving one's Passions is necessary to avoid Harrowings, which can lead to Oblivion. It seems like most Passions a Wraith has will have to do with stuff in the Skinlands, which they are forbidden to interfere with as per the Dictum. Yet the main purpose of the Hierarchy is to defend against Oblivion. Shouldn't that take priority? I know they try to instill new Passions in their subjects that are more focused on the Wraith world--but in the meantime I don't see how Harrowings can be avoided without breaking the Dictum.

i don't know much about wraith, how strictly is the dictum mortuum supposed to be enforced. i mean if a wraith wants to say goodbye to his dead sister(or kill his killer) how easy is it for other wraiths to find out?

i think the main purpose of the dictum mortuum is to prevent abuse. so, embodying yourselves in the town square to kill your killer in front of a 1000 people is bad. but doing so in his home and making it look like some mortal murderer got him is ok(i think) or making it look like an accident.

not entirely unlike the masquerade. after all ghouls are humans and yet they know about vampires. likewise a guy killed by lure of flames is technically a masquerade breach. but no one will complain. it's just that in my opinion the dictum mortuum should be more flexible than the masquerade simply because unlike vampires wraiths do not live in the physical world..
    i mean what hunter is going to invade stygia ittself?

Comment

Sitting in the Shadowlands forces you to come to terms with the fact that you're dead. Crossing over into the Skinlands and causing trouble is impulsive, likely to feed your Shadow, and not at all likely to help you cope with things.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

The Dictuum Mortum was originally put in place as Spectres were possessing mortals and causing chaos through the Skinlands, causing a lot more death and feeding Oblivion and making more Spectres, whilst other wraiths were doing similar things, maybe under the push of their Shadows. Charon basically got tired of this shenanigans and put a stop to it.

IMO, Harrowings aren't the real enemy to wraiths, they're actually something probably quite common. The real bad-guy is the generation of too much Angst, which makes a new Spectre if not kept in check.

Comment

If every soul that couldn't cope without touching the physical world fell into the well of the void or fed the Spectral armies things would be very bad for Stygia. It's a good thing that those weak things can be fed into the forges instead and in their weakness still feed the strength of mighty Stygia as soulsteel.

There's a reason the Dictum Mortuum is backed by the soul forges.

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

Comment

Originally posted by Ramnesis View Post
            If every soul that couldn't cope without touching the physical world fell into the well of the void or fed the Spectral armies things would be very bad for Stygia. It's a good thing that those weak things can be fed into the forges instead and in their weakness still feed the strength of mighty Stygia as soulsteel.

There's a reason the Dictum Mortuum is backed by the soul forges.
            Don't you have to be convicted of an actual crime to be forged? I haven't heard of them forging wraiths based on speculation that they might fall to Oblivion.

Comment

Originally posted by Faradn View Post
              Don't you have to be convicted of an actual crime to be forged? I haven't heard of them forging wraiths based on speculation that they might fall to Oblivion.
              Well that's the entire philosophy behind thralling and/or soul forging drones, so it's an idea that's built into the Hierarchy. When you think of all the ways that the system can send the wrong people to the soul forges, from false accusations, to bribery, to muzzling someone and calling them a drone, being innocent isn't much protection. If the Hierarch thinks you are about to go Spectre, or even thinks other Wraiths will believe it, there's quite a bit he can do.

Of course the policy is itself based on a massive conceit: that the ones who can't escape the forges are the ones who would fall to Oblivion. That part is questionable. But as long as Stygia stands, the Hierarchy isn't going to be the one questioning it.

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

Comment

Working...
              X