Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there an inspirational works post for the Wraith forum?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there an inspirational works post for the Wraith forum?

Over on the Mage forum they found they were getting so many posts like that that they made a sticky for it. Not sure if that would make sense here, but I'm curious what has been done on the topic.

El Espinazo del Diablo (The Devil's Backbone
    The Grudge /Ju on
    The Ring/ Ringu
    The Sixth Sense

Forum's Official's Joker and Trickster. Pardon my bad english, aint my first language (I Speak Spanish).
    ST: DtF, HtR, WtO, MtA
    Signature Chars: Crowley (hakalu), Joe The Nuwisha (WtA)
    Changelings: be afraid of the Technocracian High Five of Doom

Comment

For video games:

Grim Fandango-Yes, it's zany and silly at times but at the same time there are concepts in the game that are quite compatible with Wraith and I can see its story being converted into the Wraith universe without much difficultly.

Murdered: Sole Suspect-I swear the guys behind this one must have cracked open some WtO books because there are aspects that scream Wraith or at least Wraith-inspired.

Homo sapiens. What an inventive, invincible species. It's only a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenceless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable. Indomitable.

Comment

Oddly, I rarely get Wraith inspiration from ghost stories. Weird and random things that inspire me are (but not limited to):
        • Mad Max films
        • The Road (Hillcoat, 2009)
        • The Book of Eli (The Hughes Bros., 2010)
        • Word War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War (Brooks, 2006)
        • The Hills Have Eyes (any)
        • Thirteen Ghosts (either version)
        • The Seventh Seal (Bergman, 1957)
        Last edited by Nazfool; 07-05-2016, 12:34 PM.

This is what happens when an Abyssal Exalted ends up in H.o.L.
        (Also known as "Derpwraith" and "PretentiousFontsGuy
        ").

Comment

Beetlejuice is up there.

I think many of the works of Kafka apply.

What Dreams May Come.

The Divine Comedy.

Jacob's Ladder.

Twilight Zone is appropriate for a lot of kinds of Harrowings.

The Exorcist.

Comment

Poltergeist
            Magnetic Rose (short film by Katsuhiro Otomo)
            Ghost in the Shell (futuristic possession, anyone?)
            Aliens (for Doomslayers)
            Alien 3 (the soundtrack)

Comment

I'll take that as a no on a post like this existing before. I did try looking for one.

Jacob's Ladder, The Seventh Seal, The Sixth Sense--seconded.

Donnie Darko. Technically a time travel movie, but very Wraith-like thematically. To a lesser extent The Butterfly Effect.

Most things by Edgar Allen Poe, obviously.

Never Let Me Go, Remains of the Day. Kazuo Ishiguro is great at both death and regret.

The Crow--I think? It's so tonally uncanny I can't bring myself to finish it. In a different mood I think I'd like the atmosphere.

Cheesy as it is, I have to give props to Ghost with Patrick Swayze. I think it is very likely Wraith wouldn't have been conceived without it.

Comment

Faradn, I agree with all your comments. Crow is definitely a source for Revenants, but also for Wraith in general. "Ghost" is certainly something that can be emulated by the game, and given when it was released, I have to say it had an influence.

Meet Joe Black is also something I think is very appropriate. Not a good movie, but very good in terms of Wraith. I took many elements of that for the one Wraith chronicle I ran.

Totally agree on Donnie Darko.

Comment

Franklyn
                  Dark City
                  Blade Runner
                  Twelve Monkeys
                  The Devil's Backbone

Comment

The Frighteners
                    House on Haunted Hill
                    The Haunting (Original)
                    The Changeling (It's a ghost film)
                    Secrets of the Dead (tv)
                    Paranormal Activity (results may vary)
                    Is It Real? Ghosts and Hauntings
                    The Others
                    The Shining (Original, tv film view at your own risk)
                    Ghostbusters (Original, Paul Fieg film unknown fate)
                    Carnival of Souls
                    Children of the Grave
                    Shadowbound (web series, yep, it's because it was filmed in my hometown)

Onyx Path Kickstarters I back.
                    W20, MtC, CB20, DtD, MtAs20, BotW20, Wraith 20th.

Comment

I recommend talking to paranormal investigators--at least the ones I met really seem to believe the stuff. If nothing else it's an interesting study in psychology.

Carnivale is great generally but for Wraith I particularly recommend the episode Babylon.

Hamlet.

Comment

Originally posted by Faradn View Post
                        The Crow--I think? It's so tonally uncanny I can't bring myself to finish it. In a different mood I think I'd like the atmosphere.
                        Really? What did you find so tonally uncanny?

Homo sapiens. What an inventive, invincible species. It's only a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenceless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable. Indomitable.

Comment

Originally posted by AkatsukiLeader13 View Post

Really? What did you find so tonally uncanny?
                          It's hard to explain. There's a kind of aggression and intensity to a lot of 90's media that comes across as inauthentic to me. Like I said, it could have just been the mood I was in--I'll give it another shot.

Comment

One important theme of a lot of Wraith games is the tension between the individual and society. The Hierarchy is oppressive and uncompromising and corrupt, yet they are the best hope against Oblivion. Unfortunately I don't know a lot of fiction that deals directly with this kind of thing. The only one I can think of is Antigone by Sophocles. I've heard that nearly all fiction since Shakespeare has focused more on the individual than society. That's probably an overstatement. Maybe Dickens? I haven't read any so I'm not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Faradn View Post
                              It's hard to explain. There's a kind of aggression and intensity to a lot of 90's media that comes across as inauthentic to me. Like I said, it could have just been the mood I was in--I'll give it another shot.
                              Actually that's kind of the point of the story. Nash a couple years ago did a great video on the Crow as part of his Here There be Dragons series and he talked about the film's themes.

The short version of it without spoilers like in Nash's video, the intense violence Erik inflicts on the people who murdered him and Shelly is supposed to be intense and unsettling because that is not who Erik was. His quest for vengeance is driving him away from his humanity, away from everything that he was, becoming akin to the men that destroyed his life. As he's murdering his killers he's killing himself far more than anything anyone else could have done. But the people who knew him and his own memories are trying to pull him back from the brink, to keep him who he was.

Not unlike the struggle between Psyche and Shadow in a wraith.

If you don't mind spoilers or have seen the film, watch Nash's review, he described the film's themes far better than I can.

Comment

Working...
                              X