No announcement yet.

Wraith population, Drone population.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't recall hard numbers on this. When I ran a Drake's Equation on wraith population in another thread, though, I think I used 20 years as the average time a Wraith sticks around in the Underworld. If I were forced to choose an underworld expectancy for Drones, I'd probably put it in the 2-5 year range.

Three things to consider:

Much like life expectancy, Wraiths that last past their first year are much more likely to stick around for quite some time.

Putting the expectancy too low for Wraiths means most of the longer lived wraiths aren't going to pay much attention to enfants as most of them will not stick around long enough to matter. (Potentially that's very in theme).

Wr20 significantly changed the relationship of Wraiths and Drones. It is now vital for a new Wraith to be reaped early. Or vital for them to be reaped late if the reaper is looking to sell them as raw materials.

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

Comment

Originally posted by Dogstar View Post
      Further to this topic what is the Wraith/Drone survival rate per year? I'm assuming that the majority of Drones and Wraiths don't survive past their first year but are there are numbers anywhere?

If not what would you guys estimate for first year, five years, ten years, etc?

One in ten maybe?
      I don't think that there's a general rule for that. But an interesting approach to that is by looking at the templates provided in Guildbooks because they are concepts for starting PCs = "young" wraiths. And there you have two wraiths at least century old (an Artificer and Pardonner (sin eater) I'm not sure about the latter; victims of epidemy, smallpox if I remember correctly), an actress who starred in silent movies (one of her Fetter is a token from Rudolf Valentino), Vietnam War casualty, secretary killed by KGB and that means before 1991, possibly way before and the rest or at least vast majority are modern.
      Last edited by Nail Eater; 02-26-2019, 06:10 AM.

Warrior of the Rainbow
      Saint among the sinners
      Pure among the dirt
      Loser among winners

Comment

Originally posted by Dogstar View Post
        Further to this topic what is the Wraith/Drone survival rate per year? I'm assuming that the majority of Drones and Wraiths don't survive past their first year but are there are numbers anywhere?

If not what would you guys estimate for first year, five years, ten years, etc?

One in ten maybe?
        Unfortunately, having checked my data sets, Wraith's dataset has the least reliable 'age' at destruction figure because of the known Wraiths, very few have actually been definitely destroyed/managed to transcend (unless you count Orpheus, in which case, well, pretty much all of 'em have but that's unhelpful to say the least) and even less with a reliable date. The most frequent destruction seen in the books (other than forging) is being plunged into Oblivion after being torn apart but wraiths can, and regularly do, escape actual destruction during their Harrowings and may still reappear as Spectres. I think this is a question that will remain unanswered.

Comment

Working...
        X