is orpheus supposed to be canon?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is orpheus supposed to be canon?

from the perspective of wraith and the greater metaplot of the world of darkness in general i mean

retcons many things(stormwall wraith abilities malfeans etc) and none of the things in there have ever appeared in any other book. granted this could be because orpheus came so late

butevery other gameline sort of treats the underworld as normal even with the sixth maelstorm.

When it was first released it was very unclear but yeah Orpheus is canon.

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

Comment

As I understand it, it's semi-canon. A kind of 'what if' or alternate reality scenario. It simplifies and changes things for its own purposes, so can't be considered 100% canonical for Wraith games, but it's presented as a possible post-6GM setting for the game. You'd have to house rule a lot or fill in the gaps, though.

For instance, you could say the awakening of Grandma has splintered souls in a way more akin to KotE. Thus, spectres and psyches possess their own separate forms. This splitting of souls has presumably also changed the way Arcanoi work. Or, perhaps, the wrecking of wraith society means the powers learned are just bastardised, disparate effects, rather than the developed, well mapped routes of the Arcanoi.

Comment

Plus the whole cosmography and geography of the Skinlands vs. the Shadowlands vs. the Tempest, etc. has substantially changed. Changed so much that they completely change the relationship between them.

Comment

Orpheus takes place after Wraith ends, but whether or not it connects to the wider WoD is iffy.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Given Wr20 is supposed to include Orpheus material, it seems like the intent is for it to be canon. Though it might see some adjustments to make it work better in that regard in the update.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
              Given Wr20 is supposed to include Orpheus material, it seems like the intent is for it to be canon. Though it might see some adjustments to make it work better in that regard in the update.
              I think it will be presented as an option. Just like M20 has a range of Future Fates. But, from what I understand, Rich D is making Orpheus backwards compatible with Wraith, rather than the other way around. Which means retcons may happen.

I do hope the Orpheus section also fills in the details of how the Underworld and its mechanics change so much between the two games.

Comment

AIUI, we're getting the Orpheus Group pre-Sixth Great Maelstrom - how they operate in the standard Wraith setting. Dunno if we'll get a projection of how things go down post-6GM.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Originally posted by marin View Post
                  AIUI, we're getting the Orpheus Group pre-Sixth Great Maelstrom - how they operate in the standard Wraith setting. Dunno if we'll get a projection of how things go down post-6GM.
                  Oh, you're right, actually. It's just been so long since the Kickstarter, my mind clearly invented the idea we'd be getting something more. This is actually better, I think, because of how different the two games are. You don't need Horrors and the like if you have Wr20.

Comment

Could Orpheus people potentially learn Arcanoi?

Comment

Originally posted by marin View Post
                      I think it's been mentioned that Wr20 will have material for running a post-6GM chronicle.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by Aya Tari View Post
                        Could Orpheus people potentially learn Arcanoi?
                        Maybe. It'd be easier than porting over Horrors, I guess.

Comment

Yea, Horrors are problematic, especially with the Vitality cost. I would imagine that Spite would turn to Angst.

Comment

Originally posted by Aya Tari View Post
                            Yea, Horrors are problematic, especially with the Vitality cost. I would imagine that Spite would turn to Angst.
                            I mean, you could just rule that they can spend Corpus or Pathos equally. But it would probably make more sense to compare each Horror to existing Arcanoi and base the cost off those. The problem is more that the Horrors often simulate Arcanoi, but in a simplified or tweaked format, so there's some redundancy there. Also, it's a matter of space. If you're listing all the Arcanoi and then having to list all the Horrors too, that might eat up a lot of space that Wraith players might prefer was spent on WTO material instead of Orpheus material.

My gut feeling is that the rules will probably translate Orpheus into Wraith terms, perhaps with some quick and dirty crossover details (e.g., Orpheus agents, being living beings, not having access to a Pathos pool and so having to use Corpus instead to power Arcanoi, or vice versa, with Pathos acting as their psychic flesh for lack of a ghostly presence).

Comment

Working...
                            X