Idea for Wraith Power: Deathly Mantle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea for Wraith Power: Deathly Mantle

So Wraith is missing powers for doing a wide range of things, which is covered by things like Rituals for Vampires and Werewolves. Wraith is also missing a system for Ghosts raising Traits past 5. And no explanations for how beings like Charon or the Lady of Fate can do things other Wraiths can't. So I just came up with an idea of Deathly Mantles. Basically when a Wraith gains a Title these titles may be invested with supernatural potence, and give wraiths certain benefits. For instance all the Deathlords have Titles, and having a Deathlord Title as a Mantle can allow a base power of raising Traits past 5 up to say 9, or maybe 8. Charon's title is Charon, as in he took up the name of the Mythical Fallen who helped create the Underworld, and who echoed in Greek Myth. It allows him to raise stats up to 10, increased command over the Dead, the Tempest, and Travel. Along with potent powers from his scythe Siklos.

Any Suggestions or ideas? I was not thinking of having Titles Rated, but perhaps they will be. Maybe Mantle 0 is most wraiths who don't have a special title. Mantle 1 a Wraith could have an urban legend/folklore level title like Hookhand, Shadowman, or Creepywhisperman, and they can raise traits to 6. And the High end of the Spectrum are Charon who can raise Traits to 10, and Anubis who can learn Mummy Hekau, and has the Title of a God of Death, so maybe it is Mantle 10, or should Anubis be 11? Which is basically the Ceiling of an Arch Mantle.

It is a time for great deeds!

So... Wraith does have a system for that - and you touched on it mentioning Charons' scythe. Relics and Artifacts, with a dash of Memoriam and/or Legacy. Like, the Deathlords masks and armor allow Traits above 5. The title is incidental; we know for a fact the Smiling Lord has been replaced at least once. His (her?) powers and appearance remained the same, but his(/her) attitude changed. Just like Slander may be several different wraiths who have access to high-level Moliate through their masks, and Ferrymen can use Argos because of their rafts, even if they may not have it themselves.

Not that it's a bad idea, mind you, but that it's already baked into the setting.

Cheers!

If you don't use an Oxford comma, I feel bad for you, son,
    'Cuz I got ninety-nine problems, but clarity ain't one.

Comment

The Problem with titles would be that who can bestow them?

But on the other side it is very stylish to grant someone relics by granting them a title.
      Like: "I name you Freddy, the Nightmare on Elmstreet!"
      And *poof* you have claws and a costume and so on.

I take the idea for my mage chronicle.
      (Basically concepts/archetypes as wonders a bit like the revised Background Blessing)
      Why should only wraiths have fun with titles?

So, this Zen Master walks up to a hot dog stand and says: "Make me one with everything!"

Comment

I feel like there should be a system for rituals. E.g., the Ritual of Severance. Those things get mentioned in the setting, but never had a system.

Comment

Originally posted by nothing View Post
          So... Wraith does have a system for that - and you touched on it mentioning Charons' scythe. Relics and Artifacts, with a dash of Memoriam and/or Legacy. Like, the Deathlords masks and armor allow Traits above 5. The title is incidental; we know for a fact the Smiling Lord has been replaced at least once. His (her?) powers and appearance remained the same, but his(/her) attitude changed. Just like Slander may be several different wraiths who have access to high-level Moliate through their masks, and Ferrymen can use Argos because of their rafts, even if they may not have it themselves.

Not that it's a bad idea, mind you, but that it's already baked into the setting.

Cheers!
          You know what, I tried looking for this system, but couldn't find it. Can you point me in the right direction? I tried the Ferrymen section in EoE, but that didn't have it. I couldn't seem to find it anywhere else either.

Comment

System as in method, not system as in mechanical conceit. Relics and Artifacts are the mechanical conceits; they can already do everything the OP proposed. Traits over 5? Relic. Access to high-level Arcanoi? Artifact. Sick-ass dance moves? Another relic (Gene Kelley's shoes?).

Cheers!

Comment

Oh, I see. You're reading between the lines.

I think you're probably right. The Deathlords' masks, for instance. However, that wouldn't quite account for things like Corpus over 10, etc. The Ritual of Severance gives such a bonus, but we know there are other characters who have high Corpus scores who aren't Ferrymen.

I'm also curious about the mechanics by which Malfeans devour other spectres to gain power and size. Despite being half eaten by Oblivion, many of them exceed 10 permanent Corpus.

Comment

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who owns or has read Buried Secrets. The amount of questions posted to the forums that are addressed in that slim tome is staggering. Stygian Steel Armor, the very first "Standard Artifact" listed, gives its wearer an extra 10 Corpus levels (specifically, "can absorb a full 10 levels of damage before it is considered to be destroyed" - it doesn't add to soak, it doesn't add to Corpus, it fully mitigates 10 levels of damage). That's the standard - what Legion grunts are issued (actually, it's a Level 3 Artifact, but a grunt with a little bit of pull with the quartermaster...). Deathlord armor can be considered magnitudes above that. Buried Secrets also gives:
                Originally posted by page 14
                Soulfire Mask (level 2 Weapon) Masks were developed by the Hierarchy in order to protect those of higher station. Sometimes, however, mere anonymity is not enough protection. Unlike their common cousins, these Stygian steel masks were designed for use by high-ranking Hierarchy officials as weapons. Each of these grimacing visages is infused with a soulfire gem that holds 10 points of Pathos. Upon activation, the mask is capable of either spewing ribbons of flame (Dexterity + Firearms, difficulty 6) that inflict 4+ successes dice of damage for every point of Pathos expended, or surrounding its wearer with a fiery nimbus that can absorb two dice of physical damage for every point of Pathos available. The user dictates how much Pathos is spent in this defense.
                and
                Originally posted by page 14 again, and 15
                Masks (level I Soulsteel Artifact)
                Most masks are strictly functional and decorative, nothing more. Made from polished soulsteel, they are iconic in the extreme. Each is intended to represent an office, not an individual, and as such they are forged (each from a single traitor’s soul) in a highly representative style. Barghest trainers’ masks have a distinctly houndlike cast to them, while Anacreons’ look like heraldic skulls. Somehow, masks (at least official Hierarchy-forged ones) adjust to fit any wearer not marred by extensive Moliation.
                While not innately powerful, masks do represent the authority of the offices that they represent. A wraith wearing an Overlord’s mask, regardless of how tatty or disheveled her appearance, will be accorded the respect due the office that her mask indicates - no matter what. That is why mask theft is a favorite sport of many Renegade groups - even when the theft of the mask is reported, a stolen Hierarch's visage will still serve to bluff most Centurions.
                There is also a thriving trade in imitation masks, some of which are very good replicas of the real thing. A good forgery can grant the mask's wearer entry into the heart of a Citadel, but one that's not quite adequate insures that the intruder never makes it out again.
                (Emphasis actually not mine - it belongs to the original text.)

As for Spectres devouring each other, I would hazard a guess that they just...

Eat them.

Like, reach over and take a bite.

(Chomp.)

If Spectres are absorbing other Spectres by mastication (or any other means, really), I could see a system where devouring another Spectre would add that Spectres' Corpus to ones' own. Say, I reach over and eat Deadguy, I get his 10 levels of Corpus added to my own (though since most Spectres are Tempest-lashed and Oblivion-scarred, maybe most hover around actually only having 5-6 Corpus. Or maybe it's the current amount of Corpus the victim has when the chewing began). It would make sense if Malfeans are devouring Spectres higher than their rate of attrition due to Oblivion, "padding" themselves out somewhat.

Cheers!

Last edited by nothing; 09-06-2016, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X