Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compatibility Problems with 20th Anniversary Game Crossing Over with 2nd ed Wraith?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compatibility Problems with 20th Anniversary Game Crossing Over with 2nd ed Wraith?

I'm setting up a campaign using the 20th anniversary rules (Mage/Vampire/Werewolf) and one of my players is interested in playing a character who has returned from the dead a la Highlander/The Crow.

Are the 2nd edition Wraith rules, which I've never even looked at, sufficiently compatible with the 20th anniversary rules that they could be used in a mixed campaign?

i.e. Should I buy 2nd edition Wraith or tough it out for the 20th anniversary?

Alternatively does anyone have any 'canon' suggestions for such a type of character?

Originally posted by Dogstar View Post
    I'm setting up a campaign using the 20th anniversary rules (Mage/Vampire/Werewolf) and one of my players is interested in playing a character who has returned from the dead a la Highlander/The Crow.

Are the 2nd edition Wraith rules, which I've never even looked at, sufficiently compatible with the 20th anniversary rules that they could be used in a mixed campaign?
    Pretty much. A few tweaks and slight revision, and you're good.
    i.e. Should I buy 2nd edition Wraith or tough it out for the 20th anniversary?
    Yes. To both. 2nd is pretty cheap and 20th is going to be massive and all-inclusive.
    Alternatively does anyone have any 'canon' suggestions for such a type of character?
    What you're looking for are The Risen, though I suggest maybe maybe using a different system to represent their physical advantages - unless you're using V20 and don't want to fiddle around with stuff.

Cheers!

If you don't use an Oxford comma, I feel bad for you, son,
    'Cuz I got ninety-nine problems, but clarity ain't one.

Comment

Thanks, that looks pretty good and allows me to give my player some choice - he could be a Ghoul hunter, an immortal mage swordsman, or a risen revenant seeking revenge

Comment

Yeah, the rules worked mostly fine for Wraith. Not much to fix.

Comment

I'd say that, unless you are really going to go full-on into the Underworld aspects, going with the above rules set linked will work just fine. My experiences with Wraith: the Oblivion is that it does not work great in cross-over because the milieu, the mechanics, and the basic premise conceits are SO focused on the restless dead as to force a LOT of cherry picking to work with other systems. That is, you kinda need to be well acquainted (read: an expert) with Wraith – and perhaps equally so with your 'native' system – in order to know which parts to 'port over' from Wraith. It's not impossible, mind you, but it's difficult even when it works well.

...If you made it through all of that, sorry for the wordiness. Short version: Go with the simplest rules you can find until they don't work for you anymore. Maybe I should'a started with that? Maybe.

B.I.G. Bird spreads the word: Anybody with a heart votes love

Comment

Other option are the oriental vampires, the kue-jin.

Comment

Working...
            X