Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Making My Murderer's Life A Happy One" as a Dark Passion? Does That Work?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Making My Murderer's Life A Happy One" as a Dark Passion? Does That Work?

It's made quite clear across the editions that *not* all Wraiths are nice people, even if they are not Specters:

And yet there are PLENTY of Wraiths, both Criminal and Honest People, who are motivated by Vengeance (a decidedly "Evil" emotion by the moral doctrines of Western Judeo Christianity) to stay awake beyond the grave, and yet the Rules do not classify this as a *Automatic* Dark Passion that would give your Shadow a banquet every time you fulfill it.

Which got me thinking.

The Shadow's fundamental motivation is to deconstruct, distort and destroy everything that your Psyche stands for.

Hence would "Make My Murderer's Life A Happy One", and UTTER distortion of what your Wraith's Psyche now stands for, be a valid "Dark Passion" for a Wraith, even if this act of Forgiveness is considered NOT evil by the standards of Modern Western Society?

I think it depends on the flavor.
    Make My Murderer's Life A Happy One (Self-Loathing) is much different than Make My Murderer's Life A Happy One (Love). What’s the relationship? An abused spouse who’s significant other went too far? Maybe a stalker that got too close to his obsession? Maybe the “dark” passion is (Love) and the Psyche just happens to be a sociopathic douchebag.
    It sounds like you have the right idea. If you, your Shadowguide, and your ST think it sounds fun, roll with it.

This is what happens when an Abyssal Exalted ends up in H.o.L.
    (Also known as "Derpwraith" and "PretentiousFontsGuy
    ").

Comment

For a Dark Passion version of making your murder's life happy, the Shadow could help the murder escape the police if they come to arrest him/her or subconsciously lure victims for them to kill; like a guardian angel.

See my splat, Angel: The Revelation (With a MUCH better link): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...qUnP1fcl-0/pub

Comment

The Shadow's motivation is not to destroy everything the Psyche stands for, that's just what it does. It is entirely possible for the Shadow to truly want the Wraith to succeed but cripple her with overwhelming self doubt and twisted visions anyways, or for the Shadow to only care about the Psyche because it is holding him back.

The fundamental difference between Passions and Dark Passions is that the former drive your Wraith towards continued existence and the latter drive her towards Oblivion. Why either one works can vary; Dark Passions could be actual self hatred or just things the Wraith hates about herself and doesn't want to admit are there. So, in the right circumstances, even Make My Murderer's Life a Happy One (Love) could be a valid Dark Passion. Just remember, since it is in the hands of a Shadow it will be used to advance Angst and Oblivion and it will manifest in twisted ways.

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

Comment

Hmm . . . what's the back story for the wraith? A Dark Passion doesn't come out of nowhere - its a drive/urge/desire that the wraith (in life) was embarrassed/ashamed of. For a "help my murderer" Dark Passion to make sense, the wraith would have to be emotionally involved with the murderer, and (probably) have some pretty serious self-loathing issues

Comment

So, it can't just be the opposite of what you stood for in life?
            Because the Passion of the "Example" Character in Wraith Second Edition has "Finish My Book", and yet his Shadow has the equal dark passion to *Destroy* that book before it can be finished.

How would Robin, for example, hate a book that is basically the outpouring of his heart and soul, and his life's work?

In terms of "Help My Murderer"

It would therefore not make sense if you absolutely loathed said murderer, who is a sociopath with no redeeming qualities, and completely ruined your life BEFORE killing you, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Liren View Post
              Because the Passion of the "Example" Character in Wraith Second Edition has "Finish My Book", and yet his Shadow has the equal dark passion to *Destroy* that book before it can be finished.

How would Robin, for example, hate a book that is basically the outpouring of his heart and soul, and his life's work?

It would therefore not make sense if you absolutely loathed said murderer, who is a sociopath with no redeeming qualities, and completely ruined your life BEFORE killing you, right?
              Its not a polar opposite thing - your Shadow is a composite of the parts of yourself that you hate/deny/try to suppress. Like the stereotypical homophobe who picks on gays to distract from his own sexual orientation.

Take the author, for example. He obviously loves his book, or else it wouldn't be a Passion for him. But . . . what if it isn't any good? What if the critics hate it, and no one buys it? He's put his whole life (and afterlife) into that book!

That kind of suppressed fear and self-doubt could easily manifest as a Dark Passion. After all, if it no one ever reads it, they can't reject it, right? And if it can't be rejected, then he can go on thinking he's got the next great American novel in him . . .

Or consider a stressed-out, harried mother dealing with three small kids. She loves them dearly, and would do anything to keep them from harm. But, they're a handful, and in her darkest dreams, she may well have thought - at least for a moment - of wringing their necks when they throw another tantrum in public . . .

In such a situation, it would make sense for her wraith to have the Passion, "Protect and Take Care of My Kids" (Love). But she might also have the Dark Passion, "Punish the Ungrateful Brats" (Rage), representing all the frustration and anger that she suppressed towards them.

Edit: Plus, with the author, he may have some anger issues, too. He can picture a scene so clearly in his mind - why can't he describe it in words! Why is Chapter Fifteen proving so hard to write! The whole stupid project is sucking up more and more of his time - why is he putting up with this frustration!?!? And the dialogue in the love scene -what was he thinking - its so trite and banal, he's going to have re-write it all from scratch . . . again!
              Last edited by One Vorlon; 11-21-2016, 03:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Liren View Post

To continue what One Vorlon said, Shadows are very rarely are the polar opposites of their Psyches, and almost never hate something simply because the Psyche likes it. No, Shadows are interesting because they are real and they say real things about the Wraith. If a Shadow wants to continue the work of his Murderer, it means the Murderer affected him in a profound way.

Perhaps the victim didn't just want to die, on some level he wanted to be punished. Late at night his mind would torment him with all his failures, images of the people he let down or the people he had hurt. Perhaps he had a problem that was spiraling out of control, or perhaps he just couldn't live up to his own expectation. Whatever the case, maybe a part of himself thought he deserved torment and was secretly thankful even as the rest of him was screaming. Carry on my murderer's good work (Self Loathing or Gratitude)

Or perhaps the vicrim saw something in the Murderer's eyes. Something charismatic or even messianic. Perhaps death was a moment of revelation, a final answer to the questions he had all his life. Whatever his professed faith, a part of him now worships something else. Carry on my murderer's good work {Faith)

Maybe the Murderer took his time torturing and brainwashing the victim. Perhaps the Shadow now carries a little piece of his murderer around with him He hates his killer, but has no choice but to act like him. Carry on my murderer's good work (Duty)

Or perhaps he's absolutely terrified of ever going through that experience again. He's safe behind the Shroud, but only until the Murderer dies. So he wants, nay needs to keep the Murderer alive and if that means helping so be it. Perhaps if he's a good enough servant, he'll even get a reprieve. Carry on my murderer's good work (Fear)

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

Comment

Color me terrified, Mr Ramnesis.

1) That is easily one of the more thoughtful/intelligent character analysis I read on this Site so far.
                  2) Would you, perchance have studies Psychology in University?
                  3) Aanlysis such as this is incontrovertible proof that Wraith is easily the psychologically-deepest game of the Old World of Darkness.
                  4) Good Job, Mr Ramnesis, and Thank You.

Comment

There are so many ways to do this and they don't have to be that complicated. The wraith could have been in a codependent abusive relationship where the abuse ended up in their death. This is not uncommon at all. So the Psyche may have a healthy and understandable hatred of the murderer, but the Shadow, glomming onto all those denial/oblivion-seeking behaviors, such as the codependent "I love him/her and I know they will get better if I just stay/help them through their issues/whatever". There ya go. Dark Passion "Make My Murderer's Life A Happy One" (Love). It doesn't even seem like it would be too terribly uncommon, unfortunately.

It means your wraith is going to have issues being around people expressing their love. It's going to feed their dark side, bring them closer and closer to Catharsis, etc. Stay away from lover's lane, weddings and all the attendant ceremonial events, etc. Also a large contingent of mothers and babies, fathers teaching their kids fatherly things, health care and hospice workers while they are with their patients....

Comment

Working...
                    X