Skills for dealing with plants

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skills for dealing with plants

We have Animal Ken for animals, but no skill for plants. What kind of skill would you use to know about plants, flowers, to take care of them, and do any sort of things with them?

For taking care of plants I think Science would be most fitting. It's not technically difficult taking care of plants as long as you know how to take care of them (though it might be physically exhausting). Creating green houses and irrigation systems would be Crafts. Sculpting plants is definitely Expression.

Bloodline: The Stygians
    Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
    Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

I would go, mostly, for Survival - most herb lore is for survival and using of nature and Survival Skill is all about it.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
      LGBT+ through Ages
      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

I disagree. Survival is for foraging, hunting, navigation, finding/building shelters (can be substituted by Crafts) and knowing how to protect yourself from the elements. Finding edible plants is definitely Survival, but for the sake of knowing what medical properties herbs have is definitely under Medicine. In fact, it requires a specific Merit in order to be able to use Survival in that regard.

Edit: Holistic Awareness (•), page 44-45 in CofD.
        Last edited by Tessie; 11-24-2016, 12:28 PM.

Bloodline: The Stygians
        Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
        Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

No single skill is absolute in its dominance when it comes to relating to a subject. Animal Ken represents an ability to use body language to communicate simple messages to animals and vice versa. It does not tell you how to treat a sick animal or identify its breed or what have you.

For plants, Academics, Crafts, Science, Medicine, and Survival are the critical five. Academics and Science tell you about the plant, the former detailing cultural significance and the latter useful purposes or dangers. Survival can tell you where it grows, and likely also some of its folk medicine properties. Crafts gives you knowledge on how to work with it as a material (as could Survival in simple constructions). Medicine and Science deal with the application and extraction of useful substances.

Some skills will overlap, which is intended. Survival and Medicine may both work for folk medicine, for example.

Comment

Crafts. Definitively.

Comment

Working...
            X