Literary Stray Dogs [Just For Fun!]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Literary Stray Dogs [Just For Fun!]

For those who don't know, Literary Stray Dogs is a manga/anime in which most of the main characters and antagonists are all named after a certain famous author or poet, and has a certain supernatural ability based around one of their creations. That made me think about a fun thought experiment- if you were to make a setting in the CofD in which all characters follow that model (that is, having an author's name and inspired by their works), how each such writer would be incarnated in the setting? Of course, some of those are quit obvious- Bram Stoker would be an Order Dracul vampire (Venture perhaps), Mary Shelly would be either an Alchemist or a Galatea, Oscar Wilde would be an Eternal with a painting as his Anchor, etc- but that should also include other, non fantasy/horror/sci-fi writers.

So, which such "Literary Stray Dogs" come to your mind, and why you would design them in that way?

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Interesting idea! Are we limited to Major Templates only?

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
      Interesting idea! Are we limited to Major Templates only?
      nope, feel free to choose whatever feels right!

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

John Steinbeck has plant-related powers in the show, which suggests some sort of Thyrsus to me. Though one of his big abilities is to see things through plants, so that sounds like a Walker in Mist to me. Of course, if we just go by his works, he's probably a Hollow Promethean.

Haberdasher's Requiem Conversions and Homebrew

Comment

Why couldn't Mary Shelley be a female Frankenstein?

Mark Twain as a Messenger Saboteur Demon sounds cool. It would be based off his Mysterious Stranger story, especially the claymation adaptation.

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Hans Christian Andersen is definitely a Siren.

Currently Doing: Siren the Drowning (Fansplat Ressurection) http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...e-resurrection

Comment

Tom Clancy is a TFV TWILIGHT operative, who is constantly finding dangerous paranormal conspiracies to upend the balance of power in the world.

Comment

I'm torn on Terry Pratchett. I'm definitely thinking death powers connected to "Reaper Man" and his general views on death, but I don't know enough about the various death-connected character possibilities to say which one fits him best. Easy answer is Geist, but it just doesn't seem totally right.

Comment

Originally posted by SaulottheGentle View Post
                  Hans Christian Andersen is definitely a Siren.
                  The man did write more than one fairy tale, just saying.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                  The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                  Feminine pronouns, please.

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                    The man did write more than one fairy tale, just saying.
                    I'm kinda torn between a Darkling and a Fairest, myself.

My Homebrew Signature

I now blog in here

Comment

So is Stephen King a beast?

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
                        I'm torn on Terry Pratchett. I'm definitely thinking death powers connected to "Reaper Man" and his general views on death, but I don't know enough about the various death-connected character possibilities to say which one fits him best. Easy answer is Geist, but it just doesn't seem totally right.
                        Perhaps an Acanthus? The Disc was literally partly composed of an element that allowed the formation of stories (a universe without Narritivium is actually our universe), and several whole plots revolve around combatting and/or resolving free-range narratives.

Also, I keep picturing Stephen King as a Slasher, or maybe a Nosferatu.
                        Last edited by Hastur00; 11-29-2016, 02:14 AM.

Comment

Worth remembering is that while Stray Dogs have their powers based around chosen literary work, characters itself are based around real life of the authors...with some sprinkling of their fiction.

Proximi are good model for creating characters like that, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Hastur00 View Post

Perhaps an Acanthus? The Disc was literally partly composed of an element that allowed the formation of stories (a universe without Narritivium is actually our universe), and several whole plots revolve around combatting and/or resolving free-range narratives.
                            the powers are like his work I guess, but the philosophy of them doesn't really fit him or any of his protagonists. I can't see Granny Weatherwax or Sam Vimes or even Carrot as Acanthi

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
                              the powers are like his work I guess, but the philosophy of them doesn't really fit him or any of his protagonists.
                              I was partly also referencing the fact that Discworld is heavily parody and satire, so has a lot of metastory elements. I thought they dovetailed okay

Comment

Working...
                              X