Hurt Locker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurt Locker

Are you ready for pain? Hurt Locker is here!

Also, this video by Nerdwriter1 seems appropriate to the topic at hand.

Discuss.

CofD booklists:
    Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire

Can anyone with the book tell me what's up with The Dreamers I'm seeing in the table of contents?

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
      Can anyone with the book tell me what's up with The Dreamers I'm seeing in the table of contents?
      They were featured in open development.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post

They were featured in http://theonyxpath.com/hurt-locker-open-dev-dump-2/"]open development[/URL].
        Oh my goodness. Straight into my 1960s conspiracy setting they go.

I'm a little surprised the Lost Boys didn't get rolled into Deviant, honestly. This books looks a thousand times more fun than I gave it credit for.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Damn... Can't lie, I'm pretty disappointed the Armed to the Teeth Condition I wrote and David said he wanted to put in the book didn't make it in. I assume it must not have been able to fit the wordcount or something.
          Last edited by Charlaquin; 12-07-2016, 06:46 PM. Reason: Realized I accidently typed "Merit" instead of "Condition"

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

I've been waiting to pick Hurt Locker up for a while but I want to see the preview first and the preview is just not loading. I'm really not that interested in new mini-splats or merits, so I'm wondering how much of the book is dedicated to its premise of exploring violence and the effects thereof on the lives of people.

Comment

I very rarely run across a book that directly addresses ableism like that, especially within storytelling itself. Its an inclusion I didn't know that I wanted, but I am happy its there.

How can I know if what I claim I know to be true is rejecting the idea that there is something I might not know? How can I know if what I claim I don't know to be true is rejecting the idea that there is something I do know?
              -Zhuangzi

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                Damn... Can't lie, I'm pretty disappointed the Armed to the Teeth Merit I wrote and David said he wanted to put in the book didn't make it in. I assume it must not have been able to fit the wordcount or something.

Is it possible for you to share it here on the forum? I'm curious despite having two new books to go through.

Bloodline: The Stygians

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                  Is it possible for you to share it here on the forum? I'm curious despite having two new books to go through.
                  For sure, this was where I originally posted it. It's meant to work with the Capacity rules from the weapons appendix, to make tracking "extra reloads" cleaner.

New Condition - Armed to the Teeth
                  Your character is carrying extra ammunition for her weapon. Pick a specific ranged or thrown weapon when you acquire this Condition. By spending an Instant action and shedding this Condition, you can restore a weapon of that type that has run out of ammunition to full capacity. Shedding the Condition in this way does not grant a Beat. A character can have multiple instances of this Condition, each associated with a different weapon.
                  Possible Sources: A character can acquire this Condition with a purchase at Availability one less than the Availability of the weapon it is associated with (minimum 1). At Storyteller discretion, a character may be able to get it by other means, such as robbing a sporting goods store or scavenging ammo off of someone equipped with the same type of weapon,
                  Resolution: Have your ammunition confiscated or stolen.
                  Beat: n/a

Loaded for Bear would allow you to reload a weapon without expending Armed to the Teeth a number of times per scene equal to your dots in the Merit.

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

EDIT: I'm an idiot. I was thinking of Loaded for Bear on page 143.
                    Last edited by Kvark; 12-07-2016, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kvark View Post
                      There's a merit that does that, it's just named something different. Give me a sec and I'll find it...
                      It's called Loaded for Bear. The point of the Condition isn't to give you extra reloads (which is what Loaded for Bear does), it's to replace the rules for reloads, which currently require you to track reloads as an abstract thing that disappears after a scene. Turning reloads into a Condition just makes them easier to track, functionally it's practically the same as the current rule.

Comment

I'm so happy it's finally out and I hope everyone enjoys it as much as we did making it.

Will Rotenberry
                        Onyx Path Freelancer
                        Armory: Hurt Locker

Comment

At a cursory glance it's fun, and certainly a lot of cool new content. It doesn't seem like there is much in the books that deals with firearms though. Was wondering if there were a conscious choice to omit that from this book (due to wordcount restrictions I'm guessing?).

Comment

I've barely delved into the book and already I'm loving the merits it grants players, particularly for Changeling - Riddle-Kith's Fairest seeming affinity is sometimes difficult to use, as it allows you to grant temporarily merit dots to those affected so they can emulate a particular kith. Problem is that many kiths don't have merits that really represent them...at least until Hurt Locker. Air of Menace works great as an alternative for Ifrit's Psychokinesis (if not both together), Cohesive Unit works well for Playmate, Body As Weapon can work for Bloodbrute (at least in part), and so forth.

That said, I wonder if certain merits that use Integrity can work with other supernatural traits, such as, well, Clarity. The book mentions an alternative to Integrity with Empath's knowing how a supernatural character without Integrity is feeling, such as a Vampire's Humanity, but what about merits like Support Network? Could a Changeling postphone their Clarity break long enough to call their motley for some assurance?

Also, the rules for stacking fighting merits: love them.

Comment

The flexibility offered by style tags is an immensely welcome addition, and I'm impressed with how much the mechanics on many of these merits have been cleaned up since the initial drafts. There were a lot of cool ideas that weren't mechanically functional, and that's been comprehensively addressed. I'm a bit bummed that some of my favorite content didn't make the cut, but that's why I saved the drafts.

Comment

Working...
                              X