Rome for Everyone

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rome for Everyone

I swear I've already made this thread somewhere (and if I had, please link me to it), but...

Requiem for Rome ostensibly covered the whole empire from a Kindred perspective, but definitely focused on the city herself; the chapters in the Dark Eras Companion will give a barbarian (I believe Germania is the focus, but I could be forgetting?) provinces a Forsaken view, while the Mummy content will do the obvious and drill down into Aegyptus. But Rome was vast, and the CofD has so many more gamelines to cover, so I was curious to hear which areas everyone here would like to see should every gameline get the Roman treatment!

Remi. she/her. game designer.

Can we just get a Dark Eras: Rome? Just a whole Dark Eras sized book of nothing but Ancient Rome, each line gets a chapter. I would pay all of the monies for that book.
    Last edited by Charlaquin; 12-11-2016, 03:05 AM.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Fun Fact: Changeling 1E posited the Seasonal Courts officially started at some time in the Roman Empire.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
      The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
      Female pronouns, please.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
        Can we just get a Dark Eras: Rome? Just a whole Dark Eras sized book of nothing but Ancient Rome, each line gets a chapter. I would pay all of the monies for that book.
        It would get my money and my blood sacrifice!
        Last edited by atamajakki; 12-11-2016, 03:19 AM.

Comment

The Dark Eras Companion chapter covers more than just barbarians.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

Originally posted by Bunyip View Post
            Oh, goody! Does it focus on a particular area like I assumed?

Comment

I think a Dark Eras style look at the 2nd Punic War would be cool, especially in how it effected the Camarilla and the other supernatural cultures.

After learning about the actual event it left a lot to be desired from what was presented in OWofD, and Requiem for Rome already did such a good job at handling roman culture.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunyip View Post
                I'm really glad to hear that. It's a stereotype and I think a lot of people get stuck to them when coming to the game because of reinforcements like that.

I believe the writer posts here occasionally and has gotten me enthused with what little they've been able to share.
                Last edited by nofather; 12-11-2016, 05:08 AM.

Comment

I have a half-finished Vigil for Rome project I should reopen.

I replaced the official version of the Aves Minerva because I found them too much "generic Roman pagans" which works when they're the only Hunter group in the setting, but if they're sharing it with other Roman Hunters they need to be more distinct. Quick run down of the groups I decided to focus on...

Compacts
                  - Aves Minerva: Plebs and Freemen defenders of the streets of the city. More like the Union than any other modern Compact. They've always been patriotically dedicated to the gods of the city, but debate rages over the admittance of Christians.
                  - Mos Maiorum: Patricians protecting the honor of their families from the blight of the walking dead or other accursed stigmas
                  - Vox Martyom: Heretical Christians of the Agonistici tradition, who believe martyrdom is the only path to salvation. As the state doesn't serve that purpose anymore post-Constantine, they turn their attention to the unholy forces in the shadows

Conspiracies
                  - Collegia Chironos: A mystery cult primarily made up of educated Greek slaves, seeking knowledge of the medical and mystical
                  - Ieros Dromos: Nicean Christians answerable to Constantinople, breaking the power of the Gnostic witches and the cults of pagan horrors to save the souls of the masses
                  - Lux Mithrae: a Conspiracy within the Legions wielding consecrated blood of the bull against supernatural foes of the Empire (this is where the Red Rites move)

Other groups (like the Ascending Ones who are the premier Hunters in the Parthian Empire at this point) get some sidebar attention.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Based on 1E Mage materials, I proposed post 2nd Punic War Rome as place of final hammering of Diamond Orders from Darshanas on West. And early Empire era as birth place of Seers of Throne as Order. More to read in this topic: History of Awakened
                    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 12-11-2016, 09:57 AM.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
                    LGBT+ through Ages
                    LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post

I'm really glad to hear that. It's a stereotype and I think a lot of people get stuck to them when coming to the game because of reinforcements like that.

I believe the writer posts here occasionally and has gotten me enthused with what little they've been able to share.
                      So let me think back on what's already been said. The era focuses on extra-territorial expansion, and Germania is most important for the selected time. *But*, it provides enough detail about Rome to understand the politics and tensions and play anywhere in the Empire. Also, as was already teased by Stew Wilson, it includes rules for playing the Pure. So read into that what you will...

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

Mmmm.... [redacted].

Mothers be praised!

Open the gates of Hell: Random Demon Generator.

Shapeshifting Historian
                        Freelancer - Shattered Dreams, Dark Eras Companion - Forsaken by Rome

Comment

As for Roman Werewolf - I want just recall my fan created Roman Uratha myth. I'm more than eager to see how much I was right with Dark Eras Companion stuff even 2,5 years before it!

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                          Roman Uratha
                          So lately I was thinking about other alternative Uratha local myths variant – Roman werewolves. In legend of Rome’s foundation myth Romulus and Remus are first builders of the city. They are sons of mortal women (Rea Silvia/ IIla, Vestal Virigin ) and war god Mars. But after killing they mother, they are taken under auspice ( pun intended ) of Capitoline Wolf and when they are much stronger they return to human civilization. Years later they make a town, kill the murderes of their mother and come in to fratricidal conflict. It’s what humans says.

For Uratha tale would be much simpler – Capitoline Wolf would be twins biological and spiritual mother ( as Mother Wolf figure ). And they father should be lunar deity. Problem is that in Roman mythology there is Moon goddess Luna, not god. So how to solve this dilemma – Uratha are children of two female spirits? Or maybe they are children of Mars, not Luna?

Fratricidal conflict would, of course, be about first pack in fighting and dividing on Forsaken and Pure – but what side would choose what brother? Is it Romulus or Remus more Forsaken patron?

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
                          LGBT+ through Ages
                          LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

well, I have wrote a couple of Roman groups, and I have some thoughts for a Demon/Hunter/Mummy Punic Wars Dark Era.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

In my personal take of Roman Uratha, they got rid of Father Wolf's myth altogether. Instead, they believe in the Capitoline Wolf as a powerful spiritual entity that choose the demigod twins and turned them in the first Uratha. For them, the Uratha race came from Rome and spread, and the other myths are just barbarian bullshit. Indeed, one of the worst decision in history was to have children or otherwise spread their blessings with barbarians.

My modern Rome setting have the local werewolves go as far as to form their own Tribes, with their own patron spirits of Roman mythology. They're not Forsaken nor Pure, they're Patricians, and be damned any "evidence" on the contrary. By the way, they learn the Spirit Tongue as everyone else, but see it as demeaning and meant only to talk with lowly spirits. Most learn classical Latim for their rites and formal affairs, and roman spirits learned to do so as well when they wish to be able to communicate with the Uratha, which only serves to convince further the Patricians that they are right about it.

Sorry if I seem too straightforward, or if I don't get you. Autism isn't a forgiving condition.

Comment

Working...
                              X