Investigation system question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Investigation system question

I know there are topics to this,but can someone plz describe this system how it works?My english is not perfect and i cant understand the rules completly in the book.

Originally posted by Sullster View Post
    I know there are topics to this,but can someone plz describe this system how it works?My english is not perfect and i cant understand the rules completly in the book.
    Basically, the Investigation system is a way to give a mechanical benefit to discoveries player characters make when investigating mysteries. So, if the players are investigating a murder, for example, and a player makes a Wits + Investigation roll to examine the crime scene, you can give that player a "Clue" - an abstract mechanical representation of the information they uncovered with that Wits + Investigation roll. That Clue will have a number "Elements" - a meta-game resource that can be spent to earn bonus dice on other rolls related to the investigation, and may have certain "Tags" - descriptors that apply to the Clue, and modify any rolls that gain bonus dice by spending Elements from that Clue.

The number of Elements and Tags a Clue has depends on the character's stats and the results of the roll made to uncover the Clue. If the player rolls a success, the Clue has one Element and no Tags. If the player rolls an Exceptional Success, the Clue has two Elements and no Tags. If the player rolls a Failure, the Clue has one Element and the Incomplete Tag. If the player rolls a Dramatic Failure, the Clue has one Element and the Tainted tag. If the player has at least 4 dots or a relevant Specialty in the Skill used in the roll to uncover the Clue, it has one more Element than it would normally have.

If a Clue has the Incomplete Tag, Elements from that Clue can only be spent to gain bonus dice on rolls to uncover more Clues. If a Clue has the Tainted Tag, spending Elements from that Clue gives -2 dice instead of +1, but as long as the Clue still has any unspent Elements, the player with the Clue ignores the first success on any rolls related to the investigation.

Optionally, you can use these rules to set up ongoing mysteries that require a certain number of Clues to solve. You decide how many Clues are required based on how difficult you want the mystery to be to solve. Once the players have found the required number of Clues, they can uncover the truth. If they have a total number of Elements on all of their Clues equal to the required number of Clues, they get the answer with no further complications. For each Element they are short of the required total, you add a complication to the story, such as the murderer having a hostage.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Its clear now,thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
        --snipping an amazing summary--
        Damn girl, this is some bonkers good clarification.

"Nihhina kalekal-zidu kal masun, kal manudanadu. Nihhina kalekal-zidu nukal shaghu-desasudu — nihhina kalekal-zidu kal innu-desasudu udhkal samm." Arthur Ashe
        Check out my tumblr for Chronicles of Darkness-related musings
        He/him pronouns, please

Comment

Working...
        X