New York City In The CoD?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York City In The CoD?

I was just wondering which books contain information about this. If you have made stuff up for the Big Apple in your games, I'd love to hear it as well.

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

The chapter fiction in Mage 2E is about NYC. There's some late 1E Mage stuff on it in Left-Hand Path. It was also the sample setting in Geist, although I think the consensus is it wasn't a great writeup.

2E Legacy Updates
    Brotherhood of the Demon Wind
    Choir of Hashmallim (plus extra Summoning content)
    Storm Keepers

Comment

Geist corebook, some of the Carthian material in Secrets of tge Civenants, and then it'll be in one of the next Mage books.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

I sort of want to write an NYC freehold for The Hedge, but it is overshadowed by my fear of really fucking it up.

Just think about the pain that'd be manifested there.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
        Work Blog Coming Soon
        The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
          I sort of want to write an NYC freehold for The Hedge, but it is overshadowed by my fear of really fucking it up.

Just think about the pain that'd be manifested there.
          For what I've seen of your writings In the Genius review and for Beast. I feel like a new York freehold would play to your streghnts

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
            For what I've seen of your writings In the Genius review and for Beast. I feel like a new York freehold would play to your streghnts
            ha ha ha no. The Genius reviews are written from the exact opposite point of view of book-writing period(nevermind that I do not give a single shit about being sensitive there), and Bigger Bites does not set me up for New York in any way.

New York has a shit ton of issues that makes a complex and rich city and would make it a hell of a city in a book about a place that literalizes pain, but that pain often translates into a lot of real world stuff that is painful for readers. I've never been to New York and don't know people from there, so me writing a freehold for NYC is like asking a blind man dressed in an iron spike ball suit to navigate a subway crowd.

A native, or at someone more familiar than I am, would not only fantasize the city less and breathe in greater life and variety, but could also tastefully use the right kinds of real world pain in the right kind of way to make it phenomenal. I'm good, but I'm not that good. Hell, Try as I might have, Paris is built more on perceptions of the city rather than it's reality-and you can tell because I try really hard to not talk about the city at all, keeping instead to the freehold where I at least have an excuse to present fantasies over reality.

Work Blog Coming Soon

Comment

From what we say in other write-ups ideas, I suppose New York would have multiple Freeholds - each one with it's own Story. Just like it have multiple Consilia. I think that Seasonal Courts are obvious, but what other Courts? Maybe Native Americans one?

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
              My Hubs - VtR 2E System Hacks, MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                From what we say in other write-ups ideas, I suppose New York would have multiple Freeholds - each one with it's own Story. Just like it have multiple Consilia. I think that Seasonal Courts are obvious, but what other Courts? Maybe Native Americans one?
                It's not impossible-New York is a big enough city and global power point that you could honestly cram in several freeholds-and Elysiums, loose protectorates, Consiliums and Caucuses, factions, conspiracies, henets, agencies, etc. New York is probably a very diverse and structurally weird place.

Of course, as Changeling goes, and a big part of the reason why I'd want to see it in The Hedge, is that a lot of that would deeply condense after 9/11. Even at that point, it's not perfect, but it's worth remembering how there was a circling of the wagons in American society at that point, and that would go double for changelings. I'd argue that even if there was still diversity, there'd be a strong number of years where there was a predominant freehold built around the restructured identity of the fae in the wake of all the shit that went down with that-depending on how that played out, it's just as likely that everyone excluded from the first would consolidate and form a second one. By now, that would have broken down, but you'd probably still have one or two freeholds as major powers, with room for freeholds to control small territories in between.

Now that's all speculation on my part-like I said, I don't really know how the "unification" of New York City went. I know a narrative-that New Yorkers, despite being massively diverse and weird and strange and contentious with each other, also have a strange sense of solidarity that kicked into high gear for those years, and how New York seems to be playing at a similar solidarity in the wake of the Trump election(to the point where I think they might actually become their own nation if pushed too hard, or at least they give off that vibe). Knowing that narrative isn't enough for New York.

Like I said, it would really need someone who knew the area to really make it work.

Work Blog Coming Soon

Comment

But honestly, if ever there was a city that needs a Beast write up, it's New York City.

Work Blog Coming Soon

Comment

But honestly, if ever there was a city that needs a Beast write up, it's New York City.
                    The lone Beast in New York City…

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
                    My Hubs - VtR 2E System Hacks, MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks

Comment

iregretbeingthefirstbeastbatmanarguersometimes

Work Blog Coming Soon

Comment

Of course, as Changeling goes, and a big part of the reason why I'd want to see it in The Hedge, is that a lot of that would deeply condense after 9/11. Even at that point, it's not perfect, but it's worth remembering how there was a circling of the wagons in American society at that point, and that would go double for changelings. I'd argue that even if there was still diversity, there'd be a strong number of years where there was a predominant freehold built around the restructured identity of the fae in the wake of all the shit that went down with that-depending on how that played out, it's just as likely that everyone excluded from the first would consolidate and form a second one. By now, that would have broken down, but you'd probably still have one or two freeholds as major powers, with room for freeholds to control small territories in between.
                        Finally, someone’s wrote that there can be multiple Freeholds in one location! Till this day, all time I only saw about 2E Changeling ‘this place Courts system is this and only this’. Even your Paris is written from perspective that there are no Seasonal Courts left in him, from what I read on forum, only Roses Courts. Which is shame, as for me, it ALWAYS should be like old and new Freehols are ‘fighting’ for members in their Courts – just older Courts are most of the time loosing, slowly, but surely degrading over years, probably to non-existence after few centuries. And that Seasonal Courts should be, at least in history, of most places in the West, as most popular Court System from antiquity.

Like I plan make Lublin, Poland city’s setting to encompasses both Seasonal and Day and Night Courts, even if low on numbers, because it’s on the borderland between West and East Europe. It is logical on this territory that multiple Bulwark Stories by held, so I think more than one Courts system are in order. I may go with this particular subtopic to Changeling forum even…

Now that's all speculation on my part-like I said, I don't really know how the "unification" of New York City went.
                        Oh, I got idea for post-9/11 Courts in New York. If I remember, emergency services ( firefirghters, police, EMTs ) were called ‘Heroes of New York’ in that times of great need. So here are my ideas for new Courts:

New York's Courts of Heroes

After 9/11, local fae felt that greater Story has revealed before them. Fate’s greatest forces has shown their faces as everyday heroes, fighting for those in need. And so, quickly Bulwark and Story has been build and Courts of Heroes choose their Champions. Each one based on idea of heroism shown in coming weeks after tragedy in World Trade Center and how humans could help themselves. Now, Lost are one community like mortals, reshaped by the fall of Twin Towers.

Red Court – Emotion: Bravery, Symbol: Fire Ax
                        Blue Court – Emotion: Justice, Symbol: Police Badge
                        White Court – Emotion: Mercy?, Symbol: Caduceus
                        Grey Court – Emotion: Unity, Symbol: Crowd

Comment: Yes, Red, Blue and White are Firefighters, Police and Medical heroes respectively. Grey Court is all about ‘common’ heroes, random people helping each other. Just a starting idea I got.
                        Last edited by wyrdhamster; 12-19-2016, 02:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

Finally, someone’s wrote that there can be multiple Freeholds in one location! Till this all time I only saw about 2E Changeling ‘this place Courts system is this and only this’. Even your Paris is written from perspective that there are no Seasonal Courts left in him, from what I read on forum, only Roses Courts. Which is shame, as for me, it ALWAYS should be like old and new Freehols are ‘fighting’ for members in their Courts – just older Courts are most of the time loosing, slowly, but surely degrading over years, probably to non-existence after few centuries. And that Seasonal Courts should be, at least in history, of most places in the West, as most popular Court System.
                          Like I plan make Lublin, Poland city’s setting to encompasses both Seasonal and Day and Night Courts, even if low on numbers, because it’s on the borderland between West and East Europe. It is logical on this territory that multiple Bulwark Stories by helded, so I think more than one Courts system are in order. I may go with this particular subtopic to Changeling forum even…

Oh, I got idea for post-9/11 Courts in New York. If I remember, emergency services ( firefirghters, police, EMTs ) were called ‘Heroes of New York’ in that times of great need. So here are my ideas for new Courts: New York's Courts of Heroes

After 9/11, local fae felt that greater Story has revealed before them. Fate’s greatest forces has shown their faces as everyday heroes, fighting for those in need. And so, quickly Bulwark and Story has been build and Courts of Heroes choose their Champions. Each one based on idea of heroism shown in coming weeks after tragedy in World Trade Center and how humans could help themselves. Now, Lost are one community like mortals, reshaped by the fall of Twin Towers.

Red Court – Emotion: Bravery, Symbol: Fire Ax
                          Blue Court – Emotion: Justice, Symbol: Police Badge
                          White Court – Emotion: Mercy?, Symbol: Caduceus
                          Grey Court – Emotion: Unity, Symbol: Crowd

Comment: Yes, Red, Blue and White are Firefighters, Police and Medical heroes respectively. Grey Court is all about ‘common’ heroes, random people helping each other. Just a starting idea I got.
                          1) If I had space to write about the Sleeping Lions Freehold in Paris, I would. Hell, I am working right now on the Sleeping Lions Freehold, as well as doing spinning on the metaphysical problems of having multiple Bulwarks in an area and how I think that might pan out under certain conditions. Because I can. Also Freehold theory, which has been a thing recently on the forums.

I hadn't gotten to it yet as a fan project because I was pretty sure I wanted to focus on the Rosiere for my own game, and when it came to the book, I literally did not have enough space for even all the stuff on the Rose Courts-even for stuff it needed(David Hill did a lot of really good fixing to make Paris work). But I have always wanted to cover Sleeping Lions sooner or later. One way or another, blog post or book, Paris'll stop mentioning two freeholds and actually have two freeholds. Paris is too fractious and powerful to not have two freeholds.

1.5) The lack of Seasonal Courts is a deliberate point, and one of those things I want to eventually talk about if I ever get space to about the Rosiere-how much of their identity and legacy is the result of the Seasonal system after it got shattered and and glued together into the Forest of Teeth and again into the Rose Courts. Partly because historicity is a cool thing and I like being able to see how this became that, but mostly because I'm covering my ass for the inevitable comparisons by calling it a feature rather than a bug. For now I'll mention that the rest of France probably runs predominantly on Seasonal, barring a few choice locations like Paris or Machecoul-Saint-Même. Paris just had some really bad hang-ups over the whole French Occupation, and the big power figures of the Forest of Teeth(who were changelings, anyways) had ended up investing themselves way too much in the French Resistance.

2) Actually, cities having multiple freeholds goes as far back as 1E, though we're talking Lords of Summer rather than core(though it might have also been in Winter Masques). The precedent has always been there. THe problem is a matter of populace size-it takes places with a high population of changelings to have divergent freeholds, and considering they make up a small percentage of any population, that means there's a limit for places with multiple freeholds. On top of that, the location needs to have enough fractiousness to warrant a true divide of ritual rather than a court split off, which isn't common for changelings, since community-as-safety is pretty much the whole of the changeling outlook for it. It's been talked about, but not heavily featured.

3) I'm not sure if I would build the narrative around 9/11-my main reason for the association is just the concept of what the hell emerged in the Hedge as a result-but I am also not saying it's not an idea I don't get behind. it's cool, but it's not my thing.

But I tend to go sideways at things, so.
                          Last edited by ArcaneArts; 12-19-2016, 02:53 AM.

Work Blog Coming Soon

Comment

Anyways, New York City.

Sseriously, now I want a Beast write-up for it.

Work Blog Coming Soon

Comment

Beast settings are based on local fears and monsters - What are those, beside Aligators in the Sewers? And that Stay Puft Marshmallow Man is local Apex...

Comment

Working...
                              X