What We Know So Far: Deviant the Renegades

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ben Linus View Post
    Two clades that were quoted at the beginning and did not see in the last interviews talking are the Cyborgs and Amalgrams. Have they been in another clade, been suppressed or will they still be in the game?
    If memory serves, Amalgams will be Forms (Z-splat like Kiths or Lodges or Bloodlines) rather than Clades. the Invasive clade would be the closest to cyborgs.

Comment

• "Cyborg" is the Invasive Clade's nickname.

Dave Brookshaw

Comment

• Besides cyborgs, what kind of characters does the Invasive Clade actually cover? Similarly, besides psychics, what kinds of characters would be Cephalists?

Comment

• it was mentioned earlier by Eric that it could also be stuff like relics put into you. other than that I can only guess it also covers stuff like experimental parasites and such (and that could end up just being chimeric and more)

Comment

• Originally posted by Minty View Post
            Besides cyborgs, what kind of characters does the Invasive Clade actually cover?
            Essentially, any Deviant who finds themselves empowered by an inanimate object that is now permanently part of their body. This is basically the Clade for non-living implants and prosthetics. Or those people with mystical/alien/super-science artifacts that're now permanently attached. Or someone stuck in a supersuit/armor that's fused to them. Or...

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

• Chimerics sound heavily influenced by Dark Angel, which is great to me.

Comment

• Eric Zawadzki, is the z-splat side of things fleshed out as far as clades are or are they still subject to big changes

Comment

• Originally posted by Minty View Post
                  How much do Progenitors and/or Conspiracies typically know about the, for lack of a better term, metaphysics of Divergence? It doesn't sound to me like it works the way the Divine Fire compels people to make Prometheans, but at some point someone has to figure out that they need to "crack the soul" of someone to force Divergence, right?
                  That's going to vary a *lot* from conspiracy to conspiracy. Also, the cracking soul is a bit of a chicken-and-egg question. Does the power tapped by a successful Divergence crack the soul, or does the cracking of the soul allow the Remade to tap the power of the Divergence? Also, a soul can crack without a successful Divergence, and what cracks one victim's soul may not crack another's, so there are other variables beyond that.

Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
                  What's the defining aspect of the Accidents
                  Not entirely sure what you mean, I'm afraid. Accidents are those whose Divergence was the result of chance, rather than something intentional. An Origin has two effects - whether the Remade gets an extra Loyalty or an extra Conviction, and whether they receive a Scar-free Magnitude of a Subtle Variation or an Overt Variation. Accidents are weird among the Origins in that they don't get any bonus Loyalty/Conviction but start with two Scar-free Magnitude of Variations (leaving a couple details out, here, but that's the short version).

Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
                  Eric Zawadzki, is the z-splat side of things fleshed out as far as clades are or are they still subject to big changes
                  Z-Splats are pretty fleshed out. We have just a handful in the core. As with most of the character creation side of the game's mechanics, Forms are designed to add more modularity to the game. We want players to be able to model a lot of different character concepts under the very large tent of "people on the lam from the ones who did something terrible to them."
                  Last edited by Eric Zawadzki; 03-08-2019, 11:34 PM. Reason: Answering another question

Onyx Path Freelancer and Fantasy Author

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Zawadzki View Post
                    An Origin has two effects - whether the Remade gets an extra Loyalty or an extra Conviction, and whether they receive a Scar-free Magnitude of a Subtle Variation or an Overt Variation. Accidents are weird among the Origins in that they don't get any bonus Loyalty/Conviction but start with two Scar-free Magnitude of Variations (leaving a couple details out, here, but that's the short version).
                    Well, that gives us a pretty solid guess at how the Elect and the Unwilling shake out and a question mark the size of the Empire State Building about the Born, filtering the Origins blog post through this information. Does the described variety of attitudes Genotypal Remade hold toward their Conspiracies reflect the Origin's mechanics?

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                    Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

• Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                      Well, that gives us a pretty solid guess at how the Elect and the Unwilling shake out and a question mark the size of the Empire State Building about the Born, filtering the Origins blog post through this information. Does the described variety of attitudes Genotypal Remade hold toward their Conspiracies reflect the Origin's mechanics?
                      Born: +1 Subtle; +1 Conviction

Comment

Born: +1 Subtle; +1 Conviction
                        Had a feeling, but wasn't sure if making my guess based off of symmetry/process of elimination was the right line of thinking. Thanks for the confirmation!

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                        Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

• Eric, if you don't mind answering, what are some things a Renegade might hold as a Conviction if not a Conspiracy? I guess I'm wondering if, for example, Buffy's Conviction was geared towards vampire hunting rather than fighting the Watchers?

Also, is it plausible that a Renegade hunted by Conspiracy A could team up with a Devoted of Conspiracy B to fight Conspiracy A?

Comment

That's going to vary a *lot* from conspiracy to conspiracy. Also, the cracking soul is a bit of a chicken-and-egg question. Does the power tapped by a successful Divergence crack the soul, or does the cracking of the soul allow the Remade to tap the power of the Divergence? Also, a soul can crack without a successful Divergence, and what cracks one victim's soul may not crack another's, so there are other variables beyond that.

Not entirely sure what you mean, I'm afraid. Accidents are those whose Divergence was the result of chance, rather than something intentional. An Origin has two effects - whether the Remade gets an extra Loyalty or an extra Conviction, and whether they receive a Scar-free Magnitude of a Subtle Variation or an Overt Variation. Accidents are weird among the Origins in that they don't get any bonus Loyalty/Conviction but start with two Scar-free Magnitude of Variations (leaving a couple details out, here, but that's the short version).

Z-Splats are pretty fleshed out. We have just a handful in the core. As with most of the character creation side of the game's mechanics, Forms are designed to add more modularity to the game. We want players to be able to model a lot of different character concepts under the very large tent of "people on the lam from the ones who did something terrible to them."
                            on the latter for accidents, that's exactly what I meant. sorry I wasn't direct about it.

as for the Z-splats, that's great to hear. are any of them homages to things like the invisible man and dr Jekyll and Mr hyde (and were either of those books inspirations for deviant?)

Comment

• Originally posted by reseru View Post
                              Eric, if you don't mind answering, what are some things a Renegade might hold as a Conviction if not a Conspiracy? I guess I'm wondering if, for example, Buffy's Conviction was geared towards vampire hunting rather than fighting the Watchers?

Also, is it plausible that a Renegade hunted by Conspiracy A could team up with a Devoted of Conspiracy B to fight Conspiracy A?
                              Conspirators are the most common Conviction Touchstones among Renegades, but Remade can find plenty of other objects for their rage. It need not even be anyone associated with the Divergence. It can be the dirty cop who has been shaking down the Broken's neighborhood, or the asshole ex who has been stalking the Deviant's Loyalty Touchstone, or that bully from high school who *really* needs to get what he deserves, or those fools at the university who laughed at his outlandish theories. If the Storyteller wants to bring in antagonists from other gamelines (or just monsters of the week), these can also become Conviction Touchstones. So, there is a wide range of options available, which should make it easy to fine-tune the game's vengeance stories - from heroic (if violent) vigilantes, to angry victims of circumstance fighting back (the default), to really freaking dark anti-heroes (or outright antagonists, in a non-Deviant chronicle).

Team-ups are also perfectly plausible, in cases where Devoted and Renegades have a mutual enemy.

Comment

• If question slots are still open, I wanted to ask about Eugene Tooms from X-files. He's been cited as part of the mission statement, but his activities seem to be based on hunting and hibernating, rather than vengeance or protectiveness. How do his Virtues and Stability look like mechanics-wise?

Find my Homebrew Fangs of Mara 2ed update Here

Comment

Working...
                                X