No announcement yet.

What We Know So Far: Deviant the Renegades

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear Eric Zawadzki . I'd love to know,does the corebook gives examples on how to create youw own Forms and Variations in the case the ones in the book doesn't fit my character concept?

Comment

• I have created a account just to ask deviant questions. i have 4,so far
      • Since we know the 5 clades,and one form,could you tell me more about forms,maybe reveal some more?
      • Are magical weapons present in deviant? like "this remade can create a mystical axe,and this one is a incarnation of death itself,so he has a scythe"?
      • Can Chimerics have symbolic traits associated with animals istead of physical traits,"this deviant doesn' has te claws of a lion,but is brave like a lion. Another Deviant has the sttubornnes of a elephant"?
      • Could you give more examples of invasive variations?

Comment

• RE Tooms: Dave uses Tooms to illustrate the difference between Chimeric Variations and Mutant Variations. In short, if you explain your body-stretching powers as coming from having your DNA spliced with that of an octopus, you're a Chimeric. If you just have the ability to stretch and squeeze your body in impossible ways because that's what your body can do, you're a Mutant. A Deviant of any Clade can have the Boneless Variation, but how that looks will be very different from Clade to Clade (or even from Deviant to Deviant of the same Clade).

RE Custom Variations/Forms Rules: Rules for building your own Variations/Forms is outside of the scope of the core. We'll address it in a later supplement (either as a stretch goal or as part of the Deviant Players Guide). That said, you'll find a *lot* of options in the core. Part of that is some effects that fall under separate powers in other gamelines are collapsed into a handful that you can reskin to fit your character concept. For example, Lash covers all your damaging ranged (Athletics/Firearms) attacks, and Natural Weapon covers all your hand-to-hand (Brawl/Weaponry) attacks. A Natural Weapon can be the usual claws/fangs/horns, but it can also be the fiery sword you summon when battle is joined.

RE Forms: I had thought Dave spoiled these awhile ago, but the Forms in the core are Amalgam (two or more minds in one body), Self-Made (sometimes you have only yourself to blame), Symbiote (your powers have a mind of their own, and you have to bargain with them), Transmissible (your Divergence is contagious), and Devoted (have Loyalty/Conviction flipped).

RE Magical Weapons: See my previous answer. Granted, if your Natural Weapon manifests as a weapon like and axe or scythe, you're not going to be able to just hand it off to someone to borrow (although a clever reskinning of Sacred Flesh might allow you to justify doing so on a temporary basis).

RE Symbolic Chimerics: There's nothing saying you couldn't go this route.

RE Invasive Variations: Invasive Variations tend to make them Swiss army knives - floating Merit dots, floating Skill ratings (what do I need to have 3 dots in right now?"), sensory abilities that they can re-calibrate to observe different phenomena, and hidden compartments with all kinds of useful items.

Onyx Path Freelancer and Fantasy Author

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Zawadzki View Post
          RE Tooms: Dave uses Tooms to illustrate the difference between Chimeric Variations and Mutant Variations. In short, if you explain your body-stretching powers as coming from having your DNA spliced with that of an octopus, you're a Chimeric. If you just have the ability to stretch and squeeze your body in impossible ways because that's what your body can do, you're a Mutant. A Deviant of any Clade can have the Boneless Variation, but how that looks will be very different from Clade to Clade (or even from Deviant to Deviant of the same Clade).

RE Custom Variations/Forms Rules: Rules for building your own Variations/Forms is outside of the scope of the core. We'll address it in a later supplement (either as a stretch goal or as part of the Deviant Players Guide). That said, you'll find a *lot* of options in the core. Part of that is some effects that fall under separate powers in other gamelines are collapsed into a handful that you can reskin to fit your character concept. For example, Lash covers all your damaging ranged (Athletics/Firearms) attacks, and Natural Weapon covers all your hand-to-hand (Brawl/Weaponry) attacks. A Natural Weapon can be the usual claws/fangs/horns, but it can also be the fiery sword you summon when battle is joined.

RE Forms: I had thought Dave spoiled these awhile ago, but the Forms in the core are Amalgam (two or more minds in one body), Self-Made (sometimes you have only yourself to blame), Symbiote (your powers have a mind of their own, and you have to bargain with them), Transmissible (your Divergence is contagious), and Devoted (have Loyalty/Conviction flipped).

RE Magical Weapons: See my previous answer. Granted, if your Natural Weapon manifests as a weapon like and axe or scythe, you're not going to be able to just hand it off to someone to borrow (although a clever reskinning of Sacred Flesh might allow you to justify doing so on a temporary basis).

RE Invasive Variations: Invasive Variations tend to make them Swiss army knives - floating Merit dots, floating Skill ratings (what do I need to have 3 dots in right now?&quot, sensory abilities that they can re-calibrate to observe different phenomena, and hidden compartments with all kinds of useful items.
          on forms, what separates the elect from being Self Made? it seems like it would fairly common they would have that form. amalgams remind me of Jekyll and Mr hyde, symbiotes Venom, and if self made basically means "no one convinced you, you didnt go crazy, it's just you" I think the invisible man (easily a villainous renegade deviant)

Comment

• Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post

on forms, what separates the elect from being Self Made? it seems like it would fairly common they would have that form. amalgams remind me of Jekyll and Mr hyde, symbiotes Venom, and if self made basically means "no one convinced you, you didnt go crazy, it's just you" I think the invisible man (easily a villainous renegade deviant)
            Captain America is Elect (but not Self-Made). The Hulk is Self-Made Accidental. Dr. Jekyll is Self-Made Amalgam Elect. Dr. Schreber from Dark City is Self-Made Unwilling (thought that combination was impossible, didn't you? ).

Comment

Captain America is Elect (but not Self-Made). The Hulk is Self-Made Accidental. Dr. Jekyll is Self-Made Amalgam Elect. Dr. Schreber from Dark City is Self-Made Unwilling (thought that combination was impossible, didn't you? ).
              on that last part, I didnt think it possible at all. you have impressed me. i think i understand now. the Elect are simply people who wanted to be changed (unlike volunteers who didnt really understand what they were signing if for), self made is where you yourself did the work. I'm guessing Vaptain america could also be a Devoted (and also, devoted being a form technically makes renegades a form correct? unless renegade is thought to be the "default" mindset the Broken have)

EDIT: would Eddie brock/Venom actually be amalgram symbiote? considering it's also it's own mind?
              Last edited by Primordial newcomer; 03-09-2019, 05:33 PM.

Comment

RE Tooms: Dave uses Tooms to illustrate the difference between Chimeric Variations and Mutant Variations. In short, if you explain your body-stretching powers as coming from having your DNA spliced with that of an octopus, you're a Chimeric. If you just have the ability to stretch and squeeze your body in impossible ways because that's what your body can do, you're a Mutant. A Deviant of any Clade can have the Boneless Variation, but how that looks will be very different from Clade to Clade (or even from Deviant to Deviant of the same Clade).

RE Invasive Variations: Invasive Variations tend to make them Swiss army knives - floating Merit dots, floating Skill ratings (what do I need to have 3 dots in right now?&quot, sensory abilities that they can re-calibrate to observe different phenomena, and hidden compartments with all kinds of useful items.
                Sacred Flesh sounds really really awesome,what does it do?

Comment

• Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
                  on that last part, I didnt think it possible at all. you have impressed me. i think i understand now. the Elect are simply people who wanted to be changed (unlike volunteers who didnt really understand what they were signing if for), self made is where you yourself did the work. I'm guessing Vaptain america could also be a Devoted (and also, devoted being a form technically makes renegades a form correct? unless renegade is thought to be the "default" mindset the Broken have)
                  You've got it. And yeah, Cap would be Devoted, as well. Granted, we've got to be a little bit careful about slotting superheroes as Deviants (MCU Captain America is decidedly lacking in Scars, for example), but they make for easily accessible examples. Renegade is the game's default, so there isn't a Renegade Form as an opposite to Devoted.

Comment

You've got it. And yeah, Cap would be Devoted, as well. Granted, we've got to be a little bit careful about slotting superheroes as Deviants (MCU Captain America is decidedly lacking in Scars, for example), but they make for easily accessible examples. Renegade is the game's default, so there isn't a Renegade Form as an opposite to Devoted.
                    great! and that makes sense for superheroes when you have ones like cap and spiderman. I understand on the renegade not being considered a form

from the sounds of it, forms are really for providing more narrative and individualism to a story. will every form also have mechanical advantages and disadvantages

Comment

• - Will we have variations that will deal with immortality or longevity?

- Can scars include the need to steal body parts to maintain their shape?

"Do we have something that simulates a collective mind of a small-scale Borg queen?"

"How would the Invisible Man and Dorian Gray be classified?" Did your books influence the game?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Linus View Post
                        - Will we have variations that will deal with immortality or longevity?

- Can scars include the need to steal body parts to maintain their shape?
                        - Achievable with Anomalous Biology 1.

- The Dependency Scar has you covered. Take Maintenance, too, if you want there to be a chance of your stolen flesh getting infected.

With that, I should probably return to actually working on the game, since I now have the second draft I needed to finish the second draft of one of my sections.

Comment

• good luck on your work!

Comment

Conspirators are the most common Conviction Touchstones among Renegades, but Remade can find plenty of other objects for their rage. It need not even be anyone associated with the Divergence. It can be the dirty cop who has been shaking down the Broken's neighborhood, or the asshole ex who has been stalking the Deviant's Loyalty Touchstone, or that bully from high school who *really* needs to get what he deserves, or those fools at the university who laughed at his outlandish theories. If the Storyteller wants to bring in antagonists from other gamelines (or just monsters of the week), these can also become Conviction Touchstones. So, there is a wide range of options available, which should make it easy to fine-tune the game's vengeance stories - from heroic (if violent) vigilantes, to angry victims of circumstance fighting back (the default), to really freaking dark anti-heroes (or outright antagonists, in a non-Deviant chronicle).

Team-ups are also perfectly plausible, in cases where Devoted and Renegades have a mutual enemy.
                            Cool, man. Thank you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post

Sacred Flesh sounds really really awesome,what does it do?
                              I think I might be able to answer this. It got brought up somewhere and I want to say it was the podcast. Someone will probably have to correct me, but here's what I recall. It's a kind of meta Variation that I want to say is Mutant on the gross factor that allows you to take a tumor of your other variation and let people consume it to have temporary access to that variation.

Comment

• Okay... double post. So to differentiate things, I've said it before but everything I hear about this makes me more convince that Mattew Swift and the Blue Electric Angels is a Deviant. They are an Elect Coactive Amalgam, possibly with a bit of Symbiote thrown in depending on if the Angels have had fairy dust recently.
                                Last edited by AutoDefenestrate; 03-10-2019, 01:08 AM. Reason: Weird double post

Comment

Working...
                                X