No announcement yet.

What We Know So Far: Deviant the Renegades

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Every breadcrumb dropped about this game brings my hype for it to the forefront. Given the amount of Variations these characters have and the knowledge that the version of Gigantic the Sister has is Magnitude 3, do you think it's fair to assume that these characters are in the neighborhood of 5-7 Magnitudes of Variations each?

Comment

• I oddly like the underlying theme we have with Aleksandr, that he's ultimately just a goon. Really ties into how powerful Conspiracies are, that it turns out the billionaire who lives on private islands and cruise ships is just a dumbass who took loans he shouldn't with a gun - and a torpedo - to his head. It also shows just how unsatisfying revenge can be, no matter how justified; this man singlehandedly ruined Natalie's life, and he's likely barely aware of how his own magic works, let alone what it did to her. He's a chump, in the best way possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by Minty View Post
        Every breadcrumb dropped about this game brings my hype for it to the forefront.
        Good. That means it's working.

And yes, I built them with 7 dots of Magnitude (which I believe I mentioned on the Pathcast awhile back), so your guess was right on.

Regarding Aleksandr, I'm glad you liked that aspect. Conspiracies are built so that taking out an antagonist like him takes out one of the conspiracy's capabilities but doesn't eliminate the entire conspiracy. It's a little bit reminiscent of Doors or Clues, where overcoming the opposition isn't something you do with a single, decisive strike. You have to work up to that final confrontation, destroying labs, sabotaging projects, and taking out key players like Aleksandr until you can finally tear out the conspiracy's throat. And even if you take out an entire conspiracy, there's a whole Web of Pain out there to contend with.

Onyx Path Freelancer and Fantasy Author

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Zawadzki View Post

Good. That means it's working.

And yes, I built them with 7 dots of Magnitude (which I believe I mentioned on the Pathcast awhile back), so your guess was right on.

Regarding Aleksandr, I'm glad you liked that aspect. Conspiracies are built so that taking out an antagonist like him takes out one of the conspiracy's capabilities but doesn't eliminate the entire conspiracy. It's a little bit reminiscent of Doors or Clues, where overcoming the opposition isn't something you do with a single, decisive strike. You have to work up to that final confrontation, destroying labs, sabotaging projects, and taking out key players like Aleksandr until you can finally tear out the conspiracy's throat. And even if you take out an entire conspiracy, there's a whole Web of Pain out there to contend with.
          Eric,could you share the logic behind each character's Clades? Why Sister Laura is Coactive for instance?

Comment

• I know I´m not the first to make this question, but can you build Venom as a Deviant?

Comment

• yes, yes you can.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
                Eric,could you share the logic behind each character's Clades? Why Sister Laura is Coactive for instance?
                Her powers are demonic in nature - not in the "a demon's liver transplanted into your body" sense but in a "you have the mystical essence of a demon inside of you, its power straining to be unleashed on the world." (Note that this is probably something native to a Lower Realm, rather than one of the Unchained).

Hrm. I suppose I could see about putting up some spoilers for Clades on the blog, soon-ish...

Comment

Her powers are demonic in nature - not in the "a demon's liver transplanted into your body" sense but in a "you have the mystical essence of a demon inside of you, its power straining to be unleashed on the world." (Note that this is probably something native to a Lower Realm, rather than one of the Unchained).

Hrm. I suppose I could see about putting up some spoilers for Clades on the blog, soon-ish...
                  Oh that'd be quite amazing

Comment

I wonder what the lucifuge would think of this... (and I'm sorry if you would rather me not bring up another gameline)

Comment

• Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post

I wonder what the lucifuge would think of this... (and I'm sorry if you would rather me not bring up another gameline)
                      It's inevitable. I own at least the core of every CofD line, so in my own chronicles I've brought in splats from other lines as antagonists or allies, or used them to inspire modifications to the current game's metaphysics, on countless occasions. So, if I demure on a question like that, it isn't because I believe no one should ever cross the streams. However, I'm not the dev for Hunter (have not even written for it), so nothing I say can really be deemed "official" for that line.

With that caveat in mind, it intrigues me that the big C Conspiracies of Hunter are, in many ways, doing some things that the little c conspiracies in Deviant are doing. Both have ways of giving supernatural powers to ordinary people (or at least unlocking that potential), but whereas Hunter Conspiracies do so in a way that is nominally safe, Deviant conspiracies shatter souls in the process. I think that creates a lot of opportunity for crossover between the two lines, as rogue factions of a Conspiracy turn out to be part of the Web of Pain conspiracies. The Wintergreen Process, for example, sounds like a method of triggering the Divergence, and while we hear plenty about the success stories who come back with psychic powers that make them super-detectives, I don't think anything specifically addresses what happens to the failures, and that strikes me as an opportunity for a story within either game line. With Hunter's emphasis on being the ones who protect humanity from the monsters, there would certainly be an irony to a Hunter Conspiracy finding itself in the crosshairs of a cohort of Renegades who regard that Conspiracy as something sinister.

Something like the question of what Lucifuge would think of the demonic power lurking in Sister Laura is probably unanswerable, at least beyond "what do you think would be most interesting in *your* chronicle?" It's not much different than asking what Lucifuge would think of Fractals. They're neat questions with the potential to drive excellent stories, but the answers are going to vary from troupe to troupe.

Comment

It's inevitable. I own at least the core of every CofD line, so in my own chronicles I've brought in splats from other lines as antagonists or allies, or used them to inspire modifications to the current game's metaphysics, on countless occasions. So, if I demure on a question like that, it isn't because I believe no one should ever cross the streams. However, I'm not the dev for Hunter (have not even written for it), so nothing I say can really be deemed "official" for that line.

With that caveat in mind, it intrigues me that the big C Conspiracies of Hunter are, in many ways, doing some things that the little c conspiracies in Deviant are doing. Both have ways of giving supernatural powers to ordinary people (or at least unlocking that potential), but whereas Hunter Conspiracies do so in a way that is nominally safe, Deviant conspiracies shatter souls in the process. I think that creates a lot of opportunity for crossover between the two lines, as rogue factions of a Conspiracy turn out to be part of the Web of Pain conspiracies. The Wintergreen Process, for example, sounds like a method of triggering the Divergence, and while we hear plenty about the success stories who come back with psychic powers that make them super-detectives, I don't think anything specifically addresses what happens to the failures, and that strikes me as an opportunity for a story within either game line. With Hunter's emphasis on being the ones who protect humanity from the monsters, there would certainly be an irony to a Hunter Conspiracy finding itself in the crosshairs of a cohort of Renegades who regard that Conspiracy as something sinister.

Something like the question of what Lucifuge would think of the demonic power lurking in Sister Laura is probably unanswerable, at least beyond "what do you think would be most interesting in *your* chronicle?" It's not much different than asking what Lucifuge would think of Fractals. They're neat questions with the potential to drive excellent stories, but the answers are going to vary from troupe to troupe.
                        thanks for the in depth response! I completely agree it's an interesting concept to explore in both gamelines.

also, I know this is very late, but I like how the session that group played demonstrated how revenge gets many innocents killed. it brings more nuance in how, while unintentional, Deviants can do just as much harm as conspiracies with their antics

Comment

Did you know one of the Hunter's powers is called Omnicompetence? Sounds like a variation,right?

Comment

• I was wondering when Deviant will get its own sub-forum. Does anyone know? Also Krieg the Psycho from Borderlands 2 would make an excellent Deviant.

Comment

• When the book gets released. Very little to talk about when we dont know anything

Comment

PLEASE AND THANK YOU!!! THAT WOULD BE MARVELOUS!

Comment

Working...
                                X